• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Dryer lint, fuzz sticks, candles, matches, flint, steel, magnesium, small dry sticks, dry leaves and grass, lighter knot, gasoline, kerosene, and my 1911A1 carried openly.

Try as hard as I might I can't get a bullet to spark and start a fire, like in the movies.

Reminds me of this:

[video=youtube;uxqtn0HjTnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqtn0HjTnA[/video]

Charles H

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Clark County
    Very good read. Having just being cleared of not committing a crime that a person who was of the "guns scare me type" accused me of, I have found it very important to understand all the variables of open carry. Appreciate the effort in attempting to educate those of us that do no know it all.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Very good read. Having just being cleared of not committing a crime that a person who was of the "guns scare me type" accused me of, I have found it very important to understand all the variables of open carry. appreciate the effort in the effort of attempting to educate those of us that do no know it all.

I'd be interested to hear what happened.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Very good read. Having just being cleared of not committing a crime that a person who was of the "guns scare me type" accused me of, I have found it very important to understand all the variables of open carry. Appreciate the effort in attempting to educate those of us that do no know it all.

Do you have any recourse in suing that person civilly to recover your monetary costs?

Charles H

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Clark County
    It is a long drawn out ordeal. Walked up to someone who was speeding down my driveway (live in a rural area its about 500 ft long). Pizza delivery driver, happened many times, worried about small kids that come to the house and my pets, I will say I wasn't talking very nice, but draw my weapon I did not, my neighbor witnessed everything and said it was holstered the whole time I talked with this individual. Two hours later a Clark County Detective with a deputy in tow showed up, Detective didn't ask me what happened he said I already know and if you do not admit you will be charged with two felonies. I was not smart enough to stay in my home, but was smart enough to keep my mouth shut and just let them take me to jail.

Charles H

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Clark County
    Only had 1 week to come up with $20000 to just get the civil suit started and I only had $10000. Lawyer told us there had never been a case were a jury awarded someone so their was no way he could determine what we would be able to recover, hence he needed to be paid hourly. So that was that.

Charles H

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Clark County
    Lesson learned. If I would of stayed in my home rather than complying with the Detective and asked if he had a search warrant then I could of just shut the door. As I stepped outside they had the upper hand. Interrogated me in the front yard, entered my home without my wife's permission and confiscated my weapon. Never read me my rights (they don't have to). 803 days 12 hours 21 minutes a Detective handed my weapon back to me two months after the case was dismissed.
    Not all LEO's use their power like this, and it does not change my respect for those who serve us correctly.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That's terrible, this needs to be discussed in it's own thread. I would copy and paste your 4 posts into a new thread. Get our lawyer members ideas on how to handle a situation like this in the future.

Bill b went through a similar situation a few years ago.

Charles H

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Clark County
    I was advised by me counsel that the Prosecutor would not seek any charges against this individual (again that's typical Clark County when there are people involved with the ability to control the judicial). Remember the prosecutor made sure this ran two years.

Charles H

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Clark County
    Again I have to look at what I could of done to protect myself. I could of stayed in my home and asked for identification, what they wanted and refused their entry into my home. Second, with my wife intimidated by them they gained entry by going to the side door of my home out of my sight and entering (she did not know to tell them they couldn't) on the grounds that I had "changed my story" and they were making sure that their safety was secure. I could of told her to go inside and refuse their entry (not that it would of done any good, I'm sure it would only at that point escalated the situation). I have thought maybe that if in my home I could of called ISP but know now they would not of responded or became involved.
    So pretty much if they want you they will make something up to get you.
    Thing is, I own my own business, work on many Government installations, don't use drugs or drink excessively and have no criminal record, not even a ticket (yes I drive very conservatively). Couldn't believe how these officals were acting, but this is "their" home. They grew up here and they are the law here.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Sir, I applaud your not posting any of this prior to the end. You are smarter than many, who want advise/sympathy. Even here there are some that will ask for details that should not be shared openly. The other day I read a post asking someone what they were guilty of. Just what the accused needs, an admission of guilt for all the world to read.

"STHU" and you did, Kudos. Sorry you were wrongfully accused, glad it came out in your favor, sad to think of what it cost you in time, treasure and reputation.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I don't know how old this article is I just saw it in another thread.

Voters may see more guns at polling places | Local News | pharostribune.com

Some quotes from Jim Tomes.

“The intent of the 2011 firearm preemption law was to provide a uniform policy for legal firearms carriers statewide, allowing them to legally carry their firearms in places they couldn’t before,”

Not a very good explanation of the law, it preempts local government from making laws more stringent than state law. It insures Uniform enforcement throughout the state.

Tomes said his reasoning for not advising open displays is two-fold. First, he said, is that Indiana’s “concealed carry” law already allows legally licensed owners to have their firearms on hand in public places in case of an emergency. “Openly carrying a firearm in public venues works against the idea of having protection in the case of an emergency by most likely making any legal carrier a target of those who are illegally carrying firearms,”

Concealed carry may have been a misquote by the reporter.

Obviously He has succumb to the "first one targeted" doctrine.

“(B)ecause people are not accustomed to seeing an openly carried firearm in public places, it’s common courtesy to keep them concealed as to not excite unnecessary fear,”

It is for the children.

“Most legal firearms carriers are responsible enough to extend this courtesy to fellow Hoosiers, carrying their firearms concealed as a demonstration of respect.”

Some of you just ain't got no respect.

Top Bottom