• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Still a lot!

I've only been documenting mine since 2003 or 2004. I looked at the total a couple of weeks ago and it was 690 hours (for formal training) and exchanged a PM or two with cedartop and Coach about it. I thought "WTF!?!" because I believed I was just a little over 500 and I thought that was a lot!

How much of yours was private (all of mine is, no military or LEO here)?

Much of it was LEO/Gov. I'm including a couple of academies in that figure so it's not like I went to 900 three-day schools or anything :) Private instruction has been from a bunch of different schools, mostly focusing on protective ops, firearms, and driving.

I'm going to Coach's pistol class in May and know I will learn some new stuff there!

He was a smart guy and I regret not having made a stronger effort to meet him while he was alive. I've read his accounts about seeing the serrations on his front sight, and I gathered he had to "reinvent" his methods when he couldn't see as well anymore, thus the deal where he learned to use the image of the backside of the gun to confirm alignment with the target/threat.

He made us do a drill one time where we took duct tape and taped up our sights (front and rear). So there was no sighting to speak of. And then from 7 yards and inside, we didn't try to sight per se, but rather use the back of the gun and sides of the gun to make sure that it was relatively straight and shoot that way. Everyone of us was just as accurate as with sights. One of my groups were all touching and I was pulling the trigger as fast as I could. Which, I tell you was a bit disturbing because it sort of destroyed a lot of what I believed was an immutable foundation of marksmanship--focus on that front sight. Front site, front site, front site. How many times do we hear that and repeat that?! It seemed as if it was irrelevant in close quarters. It rocked my world for awhile. I remember walking off the line wondering if I had been practicing the wrong way all of those years by trying to focus on the sights. Eventually, after a lot of study of gunfights and a lot more practice, I still firmly believe in the front sight concept. It did not cause me to discount the front sight concept and I still work hard to focus on that front sight under stress.

You can take what you want to from that drill. You can be reassured that even if it is dark, you've got blood in your eyes, your sights have been knocked off or whatever happened, and you can't see your sights, you can still make accurate shots. You can take it as far as saying sights are irrelevant (although I wouldn't go that far) and become a complete devotee of point shooting only. Either way, it is an interesting drill. And it provides some insight into his approach intellectually to the subject. And his fearlessness to challenge the status quo. He did not have the same LEO creds as Jim Cirillo, but Paul Gomez had much the same mindset and approach as Cirillo. Another great loss for our industry.

I barely have 100 hours of training :(

Dude, I'd rather have 10 hours of good training than a 1,000 hours of bad training. It ain't the quanity, it's the quality. I'd love to trade a few hundred hours of some of the BS I've been taught and replace it with just one or two really good schools. If I had to do it over again, I'd focus on a few schools that taught the critical aspects for what I wanted to learn and stick with them for the most part.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    This thread id making me think its time to go to TR for another class. I liked it a lot and want to take a shotgun class and cant find one in Indiana. Anybody up for an Ingo road trip later this summer?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Done this **** 1000 times...... I'm a professional.........

[video=youtube;Xsepsq4IDcM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsepsq4IDcM[/video]

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    This thread id making me think its time to go to TR for another class. I liked it a lot and want to take a shotgun class and cant find one in Indiana. Anybody up for an Ingo road trip later this summer?

I want to take a their shotgun class too but my summer is jammed packed with training and vacation already.

Let me check on when it is.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013

Here's one in Indiana in May I've been considering going to. It's only one day but it's John Farnam's class and I've never trained with him yet:

Defensive Shotgun | Defense Training International

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Much of it was LEO/Gov. I'm including a couple of academies in that figure so it's not like I went to 900 three-day schools or anything :) Private instruction has been from a bunch of different schools, mostly focusing on protective ops, firearms, and driving.

That tears it. I am going to add the Police Academy into my training hours just so I can leapfrog way past rhino.:D

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I also want to take the Tactical Response shotgun class. For another local option, Louis Awerbuck will be teaching his stage 1 shotgun in Lebanon August 15-17. http://www.yfainc.com/schedule.html

My AAR from last year. It also has a link to another AAR.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s-academy-yfa-tactical-shotgun-stage-1-a.html

Thanks, Jackson! I might sign up for that. I try to train at Boone Co at least once a year. We were out there last week doing to some handgun and subgun practice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Can't find one in Indiana? As the others mentioned, Louis Awerbuck and John Farnam both do at least one shotgun class every year in Indiana. They are the best.

You also have Fortress Defense (Glock21), who is also one of the best teachers I've met.

Among others who have advertised shotgun classes on INGO there is Guardian Firearms Academy and probably several others.

That tears it. I am going to add the Police Academy into my training hours just so I can leapfrog way past rhino.:D

But! But! Oh, okay!

Thanks, Jackson! I might sign up for that. I try to train at Boone Co at least once a year. We were out there last week doing to some handgun and subgun practice.

Boone Co, eh? I'll bet we know each other, or at least have been in a class or two together.

Top Bottom