• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Might sound like a lot. Although it's spread out over 19 years.

The thing I've learned the most is how little I know and how much more there is to learn.
    Isn't that the truth. Even though many are fond of saying everything you need to know about gun fighting was invented in the 1800' s, it doesn't stop me from learning more all of the time. At the very least maybe some better ways of doing what I already know.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Isn't that the truth. Even though many are fond of saying everything you need to know about gun fighting was invented in the 1800' s, it doesn't stop me from learning more all of the time. At the very least maybe some better ways of doing what I already know.

You're right. The day you stop improving (or trying to improve), might as well hang it up.

I used to love talking to Jim Cirillo about this kind of stuff. There was guy that had been in however many shootouts and he was still out practicing and coming up with better ways to do things to the end. If anyone could've rested on his laurels and just flapped his gums forever, he certainly could have.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Jay Gibson in your face:

[video=youtube_share;dT9ErlOG-3E]http://youtu.be/dT9ErlOG-3E[/video]

Murphys%20law.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Might sound like a lot. Although it's spread out over 19 years.

The thing I've learned the most is how little I know and how much more there is to learn.

Still a lot!

I've only been documenting mine since 2003 or 2004. I looked at the total a couple of weeks ago and it was 690 hours (for formal training) and exchanged a PM or two with cedartop and Coach about it. I thought "WTF!?!" because I believed I was just a little over 500 and I thought that was a lot!

How much of yours was private (all of mine is, no military or LEO here)?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You're right. The day you stop improving (or trying to improve), might as well hang it up.

I used to love talking to Jim Cirillo about this kind of stuff. There was guy that had been in however many shootouts and he was still out practicing and coming up with better ways to do things to the end. If anyone could've rested on his laurels and just flapped his gums forever, he certainly could have.

He was a smart guy and I regret not having made a stronger effort to meet him while he was alive. I've read his accounts about seeing the serrations on his front sight, and I gathered he had to "reinvent" his methods when he couldn't see as well anymore, thus the deal where he learned to use the image of the backside of the gun to confirm alignment with the target/threat.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    (although I do see a shade of purple in your post, I will still respond to this)

It's just a training tool that the USMC have used.
    No, I have never put my hand on the front of my gun to measure out if it's safe to shoot at the enemy. It's just a training aid for one to get use to where that safety line is.
    Sure, during a firefight, **** happens. Lines get fussy and guys cross their streams. (we all know that's bad) It's going to happen but gun safety should still be taught.

I haven't heard of our military training by shooting over your head while you're crawling, since the 70s. Probably still in SF training. :ar15:

I was taught that anything downrange of my weapon is in danger of being shot.
    To use idiots downrange as a training device because it's close to what will really happen during an incident, is Rationalpidity.

I certainly do not disagree or would say your reasoning is wrong. If this is the way you feel, I would simply encourage you to avoid taking any classes from this company, because you just may look up and find someone standing downrange.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There are some who train to learn and apply; some who train to add to their resume; and others who train just to talk about training.

Let alone those who don't train much, if at all, yet don't let that get in the way of speaking with authority about it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    There are some who train to learn and apply; some who train to add to their resume; and others who train just to talk about training.

I feel lucky to have gotten the small amount of training that I have received. If I'm able, I'd like to take a class or 2 this summer. Not just to "increase my resume", but simply because I still suck.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I feel lucky to have gotten the small amount of training that I have received. If I'm able, I'd like to take a class or 2 this summer. Not just to "increase my resume", but simply because I still suck.

You don't suck! We'll, at least with a gun. You just need to practice what you have learned.

Top Bottom