• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You're supposed to clean shotguns and ARs?

Who knew?

I think that pump shotguns are very versatile when all of the potential applications are considered. However, I think that for defensive use, they are less versatile than some other options, at least in any way I would use one.

To me, the biggest issue is accounting for multiple projectiles whose paths have a significant amount of random deviation from point of aim to point of impact. Even with Federal buckshot with the flight control wads and a gun that likes them and typically makes a nice, tight patterns, I'm not comfortable with 8 or 9 little balls to worry over unless it's going to be very close and minimal potential for an errant pellet to hit something (someone) you really don't want to hit. If only bad guys are downrange of the muzzle, then it's an awesome tool.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I think it's almost more important to "test" your defensive load in a shotgun than anything else because you never know how it's going to pattern!! So many things can happen but when you find the right load it's a sure thing! Practice practice! I don't mind cleaning any of them really but a shotgun is pretty easy.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Give me an 870 over an AR any day. I use 870’s for home defense (magpul with surefire foreend), trap, skeet, deer (rifles barrels-1 with scope, 1 without), and anything else I can think of. I shoot a few hundred rounds of slug and buck shot through various ones each year and several thousand rounds of birdshot. So I’m comfortable with them. If you have that surefire on one, or any light, I highly suggest you train in the dark with it extensively. Introducing another responsibility for your forward hand is not something that you will automatically master under the stress of a real-world situation.

AR’s have their place but my AR’s don’t impress me. .22 rifles shouldn’t be that expensive :)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    My primary bear gun for Alaska is a Mossberg 500 with 20" cylinder bore barrel. It has plastic furniture with an extended safety and two point sling.

Prices on used shotguns are very reasonable right now. Mossberg 500's can be found for less than $150 in the pawn shops. I recently picked one up for $129 with a rifled slug barrel. It had been been kryloned with four layers of different color paint. I cleaned it up with a roll of paper towels and can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My primary bear gun for Alaska is a Mossberg 500 with 20" cylinder bore barrel. It has plastic furniture with an extended safety and two point sling.

Prices on used shotguns are very reasonable right now. Mossberg 500's can be found for less than $150 in the pawn shops. I recently picked one up for $129 with a rifled slug barrel. It had been been kryloned with four layers of different color paint. I cleaned it up with a roll of paper towels and can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

That's a great price and I agree, they're usually all over used for pretty cheap. For sure after deer season in prior years and now as people trade in towards rifles. I've not been to Alaska yet but I imagine I would have one of my 12 gauges for sure, a shotgun is so versatile for me it can't be beat!!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    With AR15's so cheap these days who all is still rocking a good pump action shotgun? It's ok if you have both(I do of course), I don't see how many don't in this day and age for good reason! But who still shoots, trains, enjoys pumps? I have a love affair with Mossy 590A1's as they work for me and work well, but I snagged a used Remmy 870 tactical magpul edition Saturday and really like the way it feels. Many of us several years ago talked about the new Magpul shotgun furniture and how awesome it could be, who all grabbed those goodies up and still use them?

While I keep a rifle handy I still grab a 12 gauge pump most often around the house, so many uses! So I ask, who is rocking a pump? :)

attachment.php

On a side note also I did finally put a box of birdshot and a few 00 buck through this 870 Tuesday evening, great function and smooth action!! This one's a keeper for sure, and I really like the magpul stock after my first round of shooting with it. Win!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There was a 16 g 870 at the FW show that I really wanted to get... but I keep telling myself that I don't need more calibers, gauges... I need fewer...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow, a good old pump shotgun and 1911 in one pic! You just won the internet my friend, I like it!

Photographic proof that I am not making stuff up. I am also bald, wear bifocals, own the same type of New Balance shoes as my dad, only recently tried a different model of Red Wings, and I even rock the slip over sunglasses. The I don't care anymore runs deep with me.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    A lot of Home Defense has been set up using the Pump Shotgun, 1911A1, S&W M-10, Glocks(all flavors), various Name handguns. If you keep basic maintenance on your pump shotgun and handguns, they will do the job if needed. No bad rap for AR's, tons of them being made now, and even 1911's. All work. Go shoot them and be proud when your range session is boring. It means they all work with no or little stoppage. Mags and ammo can be a stopper, your job is to provide decent ammo. I'm rural housed, so a pump shotgun and basic handguns do their task. No worries of being under armed! Good luck on your choices.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Photographic proof that I am not making stuff up. I am also bald, wear bifocals, own the same type of New Balance shoes as my dad, only recently tried a different model of Red Wings, and I even rock the slip over sunglasses. The I don't care anymore runs deep with me.

:thumbsup:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A lot of Home Defense has been set up using the Pump Shotgun, 1911A1, S&W M-10, Glocks(all flavors), various Name handguns. If you keep basic maintenance on your pump shotgun and handguns, they will do the job if needed. No bad rap for AR's, tons of them being made now, and even 1911's. All work. Go shoot them and be proud when your range session is boring. It means they all work with no or little stoppage. Mags and ammo can be a stopper, your job is to provide decent ammo. I'm rural housed, so a pump shotgun and basic handguns do their task. No worries of being under armed! Good luck on your choices.

I'll take butterscotch! :):

Top Bottom