• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Here's one of my FBI models (lower) with a newer 870 (Poleizi Model) with a Magpul stock (top) which belongs to a world-famous gun writer (yeah, I hang out with gun writers, I'm kinda a big deal):

870s.jpg

Very nice, both look extremely useful and durable! I love the sights on that FBI model, I wouldn't hate having them installed on this 870 I just picked up. Good thinking on the name on the stocks!!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I only have a Rem. 870 express tactical model. I'd love to have an old Wingmaster though....

Nothing wrong with that, that's what my newest grab is. The action on this one is real nice, the one I had earlier this year was horrible. Glad I got a good one now, with the bonus of the magpul furniture! My BIL got my FIL's old 870 Wingmaster in 20 gauge, talk about a smooth action.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I have a Remington 7-round 870 Tactical with 18" barrel, ghost ring sights, and slightly shorter 12-1/2" pull Mesa Tactical stock. Also has a 6-round side saddle. Easy to clean and simple to maintain. The 870 has been around since 1950. For home defense it's cruiser ready with 2-3/4" #4 buckshot. If I need more than six shotgun rounds I've got a pistol backup.

Good alternatives are a Mossberg 500 or 590, or a Winchester 1300. The Savage Stevens 320 is a fourth one to consider although I know little about them and the largest factory mag is 5-round versus a 6-round on the Remington and 7-round on the 20" Mossberg. The Remington 870 followed by the Mossberg 500/590 are the most popular. The Mossberg 590A1 is the current US military 12 gauge. In the past they used the Remington 870 and the Winchester 1200 (its successor is the 1300). The magic of a pump action is its mechanical simplicity compared to a semi-auto with nearly identical rate of fire.

John

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Well it appears from this thread the shotgun is dead.
    Nobody seems to use it as a go to weapon for home defense. Especially in low light situations.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I like Remy 870s and Mossy 500s..
    But I LOVE Benelli novas and supernovas -- they fit me better (i have never pinched my forward hand or hand any loading/unloading foibles with it).
    Without getting into the pricey auto-loaders, a pump gun will do anything you would want a close-intermediate range rifle for... and it will do it authoritatively.
    I used to keep it loaded with 00 buck and sometimes with #4 buck

Edit to add: so maybe i am in multiple "camps" at the same time

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    The shotgun is still my go to weapon.

870 hangs over the doorway closet.

55373599-B48F-46AC-8F5A-C11C85A3C8BA-9818-000012FD3A630E37_zps37b2ac2f.jpg

My 4 pump chump 870 is my traveling rifle.

893998E4-6FE9-440B-B0C9-9B609DFF05AE_zps6uohaodp.jpg

I use HSGI to carry extra rounds.

BB3CD01F-B684-48FA-87EE-DB0ED258E4E7_zpsnefotwpj.jpg

I only use federal flight control low recoil 00 buck.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sling check, conditioning check, my extended mag tubes are factory and have always worked well? Shotguns like to eat above all yes, agree that is a priority.

Reloading is a priority if you are into games or high round count training, and probably for some specialized entry teams. For home defense, it's in incredibly low return skill. I can count on zero fingers how many shotgun equipped home owners have went over 3 rounds fired. Everyone who fired one round while not entangled won. I'd make it one of the very last skills I bothered with.

People who've lost with a shotgun have lost by becoming entangled prior to firing and not knowing how to effectively recover a long gun, by having a trigger lock they couldn't remove in time, and by attempting to use it as a poking-prodding device which then became the first scenario.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Reloading is a priority if you are into games or high round count training, and probably for some specialized entry teams. For home defense, it's in incredibly low return skill. I can count on zero fingers how many shotgun equipped home owners have went over 3 rounds fired. Everyone who fired one round while not entangled won. I'd make it one of the very last skills I bothered with.

People who've lost with a shotgun have lost by becoming entangled prior to firing and not knowing how to effectively recover a long gun, by having a trigger lock they couldn't remove in time, and by attempting to use it as a poking-prodding device which then became the first scenario.

This is great info, thanks!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Reloading is a priority if you are into games or high round count training, and probably for some specialized entry teams. For home defense, it's in incredibly low return skill. I can count on zero fingers how many shotgun equipped home owners have went over 3 rounds fired. Everyone who fired one round while not entangled won. I'd make it one of the very last skills I bothered with. People who've lost with a shotgun have lost by becoming entangled prior to firing and not knowing how to effectively recover a long gun, by having a trigger lock they couldn't remove in time, and by attempting to use it as a poking-prodding device which then became the first scenario.
    Great info thanks!! I know you're right on the re loading need or lack of in self defense situations, I am just used to reloading them often as I do a lot of work with pumps. They're amazing tools when utilized properly, again great advice! I keep my ready to go pump in the cruiser setup, with 00 buck. I do have slugs handy though in case the need arises, as well as birdshot nearby f or the random times it's needed.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    That's a slick shell holder, I need to grab something like it. Just have the side shell holders now.

I like them a lot. They have rubber inside the elastic webbing to hold the shells in nice and tight. If you apply the Velcro shoot shell cards to the surface before you put the shells in the whole pretty good.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Well it appears from this thread the shotgun is dead.
    Nobody seems to use it as a go to weapon for home defense. Especially in low light situations.

Paul Harrell has a good YouTube video he made a couple years back: "Shotguns don't suck for Home Sefense!" He gives some things to think about regarding over-penetration risk through exterior house walls. Paul uses wood siding in his demo. Houses made of brick or concrete block will contain an errant shot better, but if it exits out a window or a door, all bets are off. In addition to an AR-15 and a 12 gauge with #00 and #4 buckshot, he also uses a 20 gauge with #3 buckshot.

[video=youtube;CiHHgjaR0TI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiHHgjaR0TI[/video]

MythBusters' Episode 11, Season 15 examined whether someone could effectively shoot at another person through a wall by listening for their movement. The first part of it looked at whether someone could reliably shoot through an interior wall. It demonstrated how things commonly found in interior walls hardly slow bullets down. They used a Beretta 92FS with JHP ammunition. Surprising to me were how little wood studs and copper water pipes affected the bullets. The same things wouldn't slow #00 or #4 buckshot down much either. Validates Harrell leaving his walls hollow with nothing in them.

[video=youtube;sAxYTQAC-Pk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAxYTQAC-Pk[/video]

A 12 gauge shotgun is a very viable home defense weapon but where an errant round might go is a significant consideration for the ammunition selected. The answer is situational. It depends on building materials (exterior walls in particular), proximity to neighbors and the risks one is willing to incur.

John

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have an older Winchester Pump in 12 ga. (1200, as I remember), also have a Browning Semi-auto 12 ga. (A500R) and a Mossburg 12 ga pump that takes the 3 1/2" magnums. Do have many rounds from slugs, 2 ought, 4 ought to birdshot but don't keep any for HD.

I have a few handguns for that including my Colt 45 Double Eagle, Kimber 9mm Solo, 38 spl derringer and old Italian Astra 400 in 9mm Largo / 38 Super. Have several others but these are the ones I keep handy. Also have AR's, M1 carbine, and AK I could use but don't have any children at home (I'm an old man) and have very thick exterior walls so handguns seem appropriate.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I have an older Winchester Pump in 12 ga. (1200, as I remember), also have a Browning Semi-auto 12 ga. (A500R) and a Mossburg 12 ga pump that takes the 3 1/2" magnums. Do have many rounds from slugs, 2 ought, 4 ought to birdshot but don't keep any for HD.

I have a few handguns for that including my Colt 45 Double Eagle, Kimber 9mm Solo, 38 spl derringer and old Italian Astra 400 in 9mm Largo / 38 Super. Have several others but these are the ones I keep handy. Also have AR's, M1 carbine, and AK I could use but don't have any children at home (I'm an old man) and have very thick exterior walls so handguns seem appropriate.

Wouldn't worry about the handguns as much as the AR and AK rifles. They have the greatest barrier penetration unless you start using shotgun slugs. The larger caliber pistols in 9mm and up are not much better or worse in penetration than 12 gauge 2-3/4" buckshot. They'll go through wood siding about the same. That's how a drive-by occasionally kills the little kid inside the house. Goes right through the wood siding. On very old houses it's sometimes real clapboard too. Anything with enough power to take down a thug will go through several interior walls unless it hits a piece of solid furniture plus a stud or two, or the thug, whichever comes first. My takeaway from these demos is always keeping in mind what's behind the target, including the risk of a missed shot getting through an exterior window or door, or wood siding, and what's on the other side of that.

John

Top Bottom