The Single Most Important Unarmed Skill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Learning how to dial 911? :D

I dont think you can ever be "unarmed" anyway, even without a gun you still have many options to be armed.
    Im always armed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The physical technique that I think is the single most important thing for people to learn is, in the words of Geoff Thompson, 'the Fence'.

Ummm, yeah, that's the Chum Kiu from Wing Chun Kuen, and Wing Chun stole it from White Crane and White Crane stole it from . . . Og the Caveman.

Is this more of that "modern combatives" stuff that they steal from Chinese martial arts and then sell it as "Th3 d34dly"??? Instead of Seeking the Bridge they call it "The Fence" now? Well, OK.

What did they call the Chum Kiu in RBSD, the "cowcatcher" or something?

Having your hands up in a fight is a "technique"?

Everything old is new again!

Last edited:

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Paul
    How does the "fence" differ from Tony Blauer's "spear"?

David,

Tony uses a similar posture to the fence when dealing with the pre-assault component. The technique that most people identify as the SPEAR comes very naturally off a fence but it is a different thing.

In the video clip, when I use the offside vertical elbow/primary side driving forearm is where Tony's SPEAR would be used. Both the OVE/PDF and the SPEAR are examples of asymmetrical extending default positions.

Examples of other default cover positions would be RBFC's Cowcatcher, Sammy Franco's WidowMaker, CMD's Double Elbow Shield.

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ummm, yeah, that's the Chum Kiu from Wing Chun Kuen.

Is this more of that "modern combatives" stuff that they steal from Chinese martial arts and then sell it as "Th3 d34dly"??? Instead of Seeking the Bridge they call it "The Fence" now? Well, OK.

What did they call the Chum Kiu in RBSD, the "cowcatcher" or something?

Having your hands up in a fight is a "technique"?

Everything old is new again!

Kirk,

I think someone once said something along the lines of 'As long as men have two arms & two legs, there are only so many ways to do things.'

You have a Wing Chun frame of reference. Does that mean that everything evolves from Wing Chun? Of course not. You enjoy training in Wing Chun. Does that mean that anyone unwilling to invest the amount of time that you do is unworthy of learning good technique?

The idea of having your hands up, in a nonthreatening, nonstylized posture whenever interacting with people of unknown intent is an important concept that a lot of people do not appreciate.

It's not simply 'keeping your hands up in a fight'.:dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Does that mean that everything evolves from Wing Chun?

No, of course not. As I said as Wing Chun comes from White Crane, everything comes from something.

Does that mean that anyone unwilling to invest the amount of time that you do is unworthy of learning good technique?

No, of course not. Lots of good stuff out there. Teacher not the style.

The idea of having your hands up, in a nonthreatening, nonstylized posture whenever interacting with people of unknown intent is an important concept that a lot of people do not appreciate.

The wu sao is somehow not appreciated? Something present in every form of boxing is not appreciated? Got me there. Don't understand that at all.

Those people that do not appreciate should get punched in the face in sparring. They won't drop their hands then.:laugh:

What I find tiresome is things taken from CMA and passed off as "new and improved". It is hard not to roll your eyes at all of this but, like Clint Smith says, I am prepared for the charge of the 300. Next decade or so will be full of this.

Cannot help think about what Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming used to tell us: "If you steal from me, fine, but at least acknowledge where you got it.":D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You dont even need your hands to defend yourself when you wear those jeans.

Notice the kick in the groin in the small picture. :D

tumblr_kp1kj0d9cB1qa16pho1_500.jpg

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think the sticky hands technique is preferred by most law enforcement officers.

Yes, that was a blatant donut joke. ;)

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    The wu sao is somehow not appreciated? Something present in every form of boxing is not appreciated? Got me there. Don't understand that at all.

When you are looking at the skills involved in interdisciplinary problem solving rather than simply looking at physical/fight skills things change. The shift is the requirement for analyzing & processing information coupled with appropriate movement and hand positioning to put your in the best position and your, potential, opponent in a worse position.

Once you've already decided you are in a physical confrontation, decisions are a lot simpler.

[qute]What I find tiresome is things taken from CMA and passed off as "new and improved". It is hard not to roll your eyes at all of this but, like Clint Smith says, I am prepared for the charge of the 300. Next decade or so will be full of this.[/quote]

You, my friend, are a victim of your own experience. You look at everything from a Chinese Martial Art perspective and so you see everything as coming from that tree.

If someone had studied initially, or exclusively, in Filipino methods, they would see everything else as coming from FMA.

The idea of keeping hands up, palms out, elbows in is not unique to any system. As I said in the video, Geoff Thompson did the best job of codifying the idea for modern use.

Top Bottom