• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmmm.
    Start at 13 an hour. Limited or no insurance no 401k no vacation no sick days Work hard. Maybe get a raise. Maybe get hired after 90 days and get a small raise maybe very limited insurance. "F that" is what people with a work ethic and pride with a small amount of brain power given in the local schools say. Why? Yet many brain dead folks will take that up and work it for a temp agency for a couple years while a permanent spot opens always coming soon. So we should.

The way I see it, $13/hr is a lot of money if you don't have a job. I started as a temp where I work now for $11.10/hr with a bachelor's degree required, limited to 37.5 hrs per week, no benefits, and employment only existed when the projects were available. I was grateful for the opportunity. Then I arrived on time, worked hard, did a good job, got noticed, and now life is better.

I don't know what to say when unemployed people derisively dismiss jobs that pay less than what they believe their time is worth. Their time is worth what someone will pay them for it.

When my current position no longer exists, I'll be back at square one. If I find something as good or better, then awesome. If I have to take a $10/hr job until I find or earn my way into something better, then I will.

I'm on pace to pull down $90k this year and I change freakin light bulbs!

Dude! I will subcontract for you for a mere $85K!

Don't get me started on engineers

I'm a firm believer that Engineers should have to work out in the field / shop for at least 2 yrs before being allowed to design anything.

So do you believe that doesn't ever happen? Many of my classmates spent as much time in the machine shop and the automotive shop as they did in the classroom.

Judging all engineers by some in your experience who didn't know how to do their jobs right away would be kind of like judging all newly hired laborers for not knowing exactly how to do their job before they are hired.

Hint: engineering school is not training - it's education. It's about building a foundation so that you have the tools to learn what you need to learn about your job. Training for the actual job comes along with or after that.

On the flip side, maybe employers shouldn't make the requirements for an entry level job the following:

1) Three PhD's
    2) Ten years experience
    3) Fluent in Albanian

Pay: $14 an hour

Benefits: None

This is becoming common practice in my profession. The people aren't getting lazier, the companies hiring are. I can't tell you how many $35,000 a year jobs I've been turned down on because the hiring company has outlandish requirements

Sometimes you can meet all the requirements and they're still not interested enough to even acknowledge the application, much less schedule and interview!

As an engineer I completely agree with this!!! Engineers NEED hands-on experience.

Can you believe that recently the manager for an entire working group of engineers (the mgr is an engineer himself) criticized the thought of creating a hands-on learning program for engineers? His comments were, "Why the heck do they want to have engineers doing that? It's not their job, it's not what they're good at, and somebody is going to get hurt". Know what? They weren't good at it, one of them did get hurt (minor, Band-Aid level injury), and it wasn't their job. But they learned more about manufacturability in a 4 week hands-on training class than they could learn in years sitting behind a computer screen.

I think you're right, but the "hands-on experience" is very different depending on the job. If you're designing mechanical parts that someone else has to manufacture, then you're on the money. However, you know as well as I that mechanical design is only a small part of mechanical engineering, much less the broader scope of engineering in general. For some engineers, working on the computer is their hands on training. For others, the only hands-on experience that exists is in a lab. Of course, working in a lab often requires learning how use a lot different tools, practical knowledge of tolerance, mechanical design, etc.

I did very little design work, but I did a few things at a summer job in 1986 between my 3rd and 4th years. The pieces I designed got made by the machine shop and the machinist commended me on the accuracy of my drawings (no CAD!!) and the fact that I had realistic tolerances on the drawing for him. I also spent most of my time doing things like pushing a mop and filling 2L and 3L bottles with carbonated water at arms' length at that job. I made a little over $5 per hour, which was awesome!

It isn't just mechanical / design / electrical engineers that need field work, either.

How many times have we (INGOers...everyone else) complained about how damned difficult it is to change a simple XYZ part on a car? Take the whole front bumper off of a Silverado just to change the headlights/bulbs? Remove a wheel and fender liner for a battery? HOWEVER - in those instances, they're practically mandated to design in that manner in order to meet requirements that they're tied to (weight distribution, physical dimensions, etc)

I'm glad that you noted that what you're describing almost always is attributable more to reducing manufacturing costs or meeting mandatory design specs (like weight) in order to meet EPA fuel requirements and very rarely has anything to do with the designers lacking an understanding of the realities of repairs and maintenance. The people who call the shots make the latter secondary concerns because they have far less impact on their bottom line, at least in the short term.

If you want to be cynical, you could also note that dealerships make a huge part of their revenue from their maintenance/service departments. It's in their best interests if customers have to come to them and that it's going to take significant billable hours to complete a repair.

But I also ran into it when I was a geologist for INDOT. The geotechnical engineers would ask us to do core samplings at specific locations for an upcoming project. Lo and behold, when we'd get to the job site to put out our sample location stakes/paint/flags/ribbons/etc, there'd be plain-as-day physical evidence of why our sample location couldn't be done in that spot. Easy to spot overhead power lines (which precluded us from raising the mast of our machine), a series of manhole covers running down the side of the road indicating buried utilities of some kind), a house or other private property that we couldn't gain access to, and on and on and on. So I'd get back to the office and then tell the project engineer that I had to modify the sample locations, they'd sometimes look at me as if I were stupid for doing so. I'd ask them if they'd been out to see the site with their own eyes. "No...". Well, if you had, you'd know that you placed the sample locations in spots that just aren't possible due to the above issues. Used to drive me crazy. :n00b:

Well, geologists are dumb. :p Furthermore, what the hell is a "geotechnical engineer"? Is that the guy who lords over the ancient ARC/info GIS system because he's the only one who knows how to keep it running?

In your example, though, sometimes it's not reasonable to expect people like that to actually go eyeball the site. However, it would be nice if they had someone eyeball the site prior to painting you into a corner with their decisions. Or at least accept your report graciously and adapt to the newly acquired information.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always figured they designed it for whatever was best for the manufacturing process, not repairs/maintenance. Kind of a win-win for the car company. Cheaper to manufacture = better margins. Harder to repair = fewer people who can do it = more people using the service center at the dealership. Longer repairs = more billable hours.

And you would not be wrong.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Don't get me started on engineers

I'm a firm believer that Engineers should have to work out in the field / shop for at least 2 yrs before being allowed to design anything.

So do you believe that doesn't ever happen? Many of my classmates spent as much time in the machine shop and the automotive shop as they did in the classroom.

Judging all engineers by some in your experience who didn't know how to do their jobs right away would be kind of like judging all newly hired laborers for not knowing exactly how to do their job before they are hired.

Hint: engineering school is not training - it's education. It's about building a foundation so that you have the tools to learn what you need to learn about your job. Training for the actual job comes along with or after that.

I'm a pipefitter, I do natural gas mains and services. I've done multiple jobs for multiple gas companies in multiple states for 18 yrs.
    Some of the things I've experienced over the years-
    1 Engineers who use google earth to plan a gas main routs instead of actually looking at the area
    2 planning a set of fittings in an order that makes no sense, cannot be put together in the way they want
    3 forgetting about how stuff needs to be assembled
    4 Not ordering the parts they want installed

The best thing that I've heard " What do you mean it can't go together like that? My book says it can"

Now granted this is not every Engineer, I've worked with some really good ones also.
    But I can not see how making someone who designs infrastructure work in the field for some experience in what it takes to get the job done as a bad thing.
    Let them see how much room is needed to put things together. How much of a pain it is when they design something 3 x's harder than it needs to be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm a pipefitter, I do natural gas mains and services. I've done multiple jobs for multiple gas companies in multiple states for 18 yrs.
    Some of the things I've experienced over the years-
    1 Engineers who use google earth to plan a gas main routs instead of actually looking at the area
    2 planning a set of fittings in an order that makes no sense, cannot be put together in the way they want
    3 forgetting about how stuff needs to be assembled
    4 Not ordering the parts they want installed

The best thing that I've heard " What do you mean it can't go together like that? My book says it can"

Now granted this is not every Engineer, I've worked with some really good ones also.
    But I can not see how making someone who designs infrastructure work in the field for some experience in what it takes to get the job done as a bad thing.
    Let them see how much room is needed to put things together. How much of a pain it is when they design something 3 x's harder than it needs to be.

Not done much of any in ground work but have ran some jobs putting the mechanical systems in multi-story buildings. The drawings we had to work with did not fit the areas at all. We had so many meetings with the engineers and never once would they actually come out on the job and look.
    Finally my boss said put it in exactly like it is drawn.
    I asked what good would this do because nothing would work.
    He said exactly. We have tried and they think we are idiots to question them. So stop questioning them and build it "Exactly" like they drew it. In the end they will have to pay us to make it work.
    He was right.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My favorite engineer left our plant. He would come up with all kinds of crazy ideas. One of them...

We have large nitrogen bottles. Two of them do similar but separate things. Bottle B draws it's nitrogen from bottle A. He wanted bottle B to be at 3,500 psi but only 2,500 PSI in bottle A. After a long time trying to explain that wasn't possible, the machine repair guy offered him the tools to do it. An hour later, he decided to switch the pressures.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Oh, another one...

We have large holding furnaces. Yes, they're insulated, but they're still hot - a lot of people set their food (in foil) on them to heat the food. One engineer decided that it would be a great idea to set up the operator table five feet away from the furnace. This was done during the design phase - he could have easily set the operator table on the other side of the machine. Everyone told him it was a dumb idea, but he knew better. Finally get the machine running, and his words? "Man, it's hot over here." Ya think?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

No objection from me!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My favorite engineer left our plant. He would come up with all kinds of crazy ideas. One of them...

We have large nitrogen bottles. Two of them do similar but separate things. Bottle B draws it's nitrogen from bottle A. He wanted bottle B to be at 3,500 psi but only 2,500 PSI in bottle A. After a long time trying to explain that wasn't possible, the machine repair guy offered him the tools to do it. An hour later, he decided to switch the pressures.

That's no bueno.

Are you sure he was actually an engineer, or just someone who just had the job title?

Eh, maybe he was a Purdue grad.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    One of my favorites is when our design engineers come out from behind their computer when we tell them something doesn't fit. They always say "Well it worked in cad." Our response is "my $10 tape measure says it doesn't." They never like that answer and normally give us some look, turn around and head back to their computer, and leave us to figure it out. We tell the boss, why do we waste time designing when we have to engineer it when we build it anyways.

One another note, I and having a really hard time with our ME being able to read prints frompurchased components and making machined parts fit to them. Dowl pins and screw sizes are always wrong.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of my favorites is when our design engineers come out from behind their computer when we tell them something doesn't fit. They always say "Well it worked in cad." Our response is "my $10 tape measure says it doesn't." They never like that answer and normally give us some look, turn around and head back to their computer, and leave us to figure it out. We tell the boss, why do we waste time designing when we have to engineer it when we build it anyways.

One another note, I and having a really hard time with our ME being able to read purchased componit's prints and making machines parts fit to them. Doll pins and screw sizes are always wrong.

Spell check must be giving you some grief.......:):

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    On the flip side, maybe employers shouldn't make the requirements for an entry level job the following:

1) Three PhD's
    2) Ten years experience
    3) Fluent in Albanian

Pay: $14 an hour

Benefits: None

This is becoming common practice in my profession. The people aren't getting lazier, the companies hiring are. I can't tell you how many $35,000 a year jobs I've been turned down on because the hiring company has outlandish requirements

THIS!! Plus (at least in the IT field) you're forced to sign a ridiculous non-compete contract... I would literally have to move to another state to work somewhere else...

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    THIS!! Plus (at least in the IT field) you're forced to sign a ridiculous non-compete contract... I would literally have to move to another state to work somewhere else...
    IMO it's more unfortunate than anything. Some of these jobs I REALLY would have loved to have, and these companies just don't know what their missing. I'm proud of the fact that I'm 24, and can outwork more than half of the people my age. I grew up on hard work, and it was instilled in me at an early age. Sure, I may not meet a companies requirements, but you bet your ass I'll show up to work on day one and try to improve my skills, and the company in any area that could use it

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have a friend who didn't know what he wanted to do when he was younger. Talked to an uncle who was in trades. He explained electrician and plumber and what they do and make. He is now a plumber with a large local commercial firm. Very happy and I believe very well paid.

Lots of good jobs out here, but they take work. My job is some work, lots of fun. Had one lady tell me I'm awesome and 30 mins later a lady told me i'm awful. If you enjoy your career it won't seem like work. If you hate your career make sure you earn enough so you can enjoy your off time and make up for it :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a friend who didn't know what he wanted to do when he was younger. Talked to an uncle who was in trades. He explained electrician and plumber and what they do and make. He is now a plumber with a large local commercial firm. Very happy and I believe very well paid.

Lots of good jobs out here, but they take work. My job is some work, lots of fun. Had one lady tell me I'm awesome and 30 mins later a lady told me i'm awful. If you enjoy your career it won't seem like work. If you hate your career make sure you earn enough so you can enjoy your off time and make up for it :D

We need an INGO poll to determine who was correct!

Top Bottom