This
    095100.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A rhino(ceros) is a large, near-sighted mammal that is normally docile, but may become ill-tempered when aggravated. The rhino is a magnificent, horny beast and so am I.

All of that has nothing to do with why I originally chose the userid back in 1987, but it kind of fits.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    AFA1CY is my United States Air Force Military Affiliate Radio System (USAF-MARS) call letters (as of 01/01/09 they have been changed to AFA5CY)

<----- Oooooo, lookie, a binary post count :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    A rhino(ceros) is a large, near-sighted mammal that is normally docile, but may become ill-tempered when aggravated. The rhino is a magnificent, horny beast and so am I.

All of that has nothing to do with why I originally chose the userid back in 1987, but it kind of fits.

Why pray tell did you originally choose the user id back in 1987?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I used to install and operate sound systems, and needed to create a company name to get free industry magazines. It also seemed to be mildly witty- and in fact has gotten a few laughs when I hand out business cards.

Interestingly I am now an audiologist, so it still fits reasonably well.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    kludge = (possibly mismatched) part(s) put together to to make something work, usually referencing electronics or computers.

As an electrical engineer, I do this quite a bit.

Also a reference to my Jeep CJ-8 which will be a kludge if I ever manage to get it put back together.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why pray tell did you originally choose the user id back in 1987?

Back then I was on GEnie, which was General Electric's computer network. They sold time on it to people because most of the resources were just sitting there at night. It cost $35-50 per hour during the day, and $8 per hour at night. And this was using a 1200 baud dial-up modem, but since everything was just text back then, it was no big deal unless the network itself was slow (which was true during evening peak use).

Anyway, what are now called "chat rooms" used to be called CB Simulators back then (on GEnie, Compuserve, and elsewhere). They had 40 channels (like rooms now) and everyone had a handle. At some point, I decided to change my handle every time I was there (people could still id you by your email/GEnie login ID). When I ran out of what I thought were clever ideas, I started using alliterative combinations of interesting adjectives with an animal. I liked the word "recalcitrant" and the animal that came to mind first was a rhinoceros, so I became "Recalcitrant Rhino." I liked that, so I stuck with it for a while.

Then in 1990, I joined a network call the WeLL, which is pretty much the birthplace of the "online community" as well as a lot of other things like the meme "you own your own words" and much of the early development of the Electronic Freedom Frontier. Anyway, when I joined, I stuck with "rhino" because it had kind of stuck on me, plus I wanted anyone who knew me on GEnie to recognize me there.

People on the WeLL eventually started calling me rhino whenever they saw me in person. It was one of the early online places where people became known by their userids in what we called "meat space" (real life). So at some point rhino = Joey and Joey = rhino.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    My hobby use to be with Cars & Trucks... but I found a new hobby:draw:

Been using the handle since I was 15 though.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Um...Bazooka Joe was the first name I thought of whenever I joined my first gun site, it was taken so I added my old football jersey number to it and voila! The greatest screen name ever created.:D

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    If you were in the Navy for a long time, you were refered to as an "Old Salt." I retired in 2003.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    ok back in 2000-2001 i was working for a maintenance company. I was dispatched to repair some conduit that was supported on the exterior of a building we rented out to a manufacturer. When i got there i was promptly told i could not enter the shop do to no steel toed boots or hard hat so the manager turned off the electric for me or so i thought. I pulled around back grabbed the fiberglass ladder and a meter,climbed up the ladder to the conduit. I put my hand on the building just above the conduit and reached in my back pocket for the meter but as i did my hand came down and made contact with the conduit too instanly locking my hand onto it. I blacked out and fell about 20ft and wokeup as i hit the asphalt. I later found out it was 241 volts going through there. And if that wasnt bizzare enough i became an electrician and have been for the last 7 years thus the name sparky241

also never let someone else turn off the power for you always do it yourself or check to be sure its off and tagged out.

Top Bottom