• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, I wanted some input from anyone that may have read my story.

I was going to go into a description of a "loss of depth control" story on SSN-611, showing that years later, it is still dangerous. Briefly touch on some other subs that went to the brink, but didn't cross over. I actually have that story started in a word processor doc that I was going to finish, then bring over. Eliminates problems in a "serial", where in a later part I find out I needed to say something in a previous post.

But now I think I want to chuck the story out.
    I would mention several subs and their "almost" sinking. Kinda to bring up to the year 2000.
    Then, I would try to tell a story of the Russian submarine Kursk.

Whattayah think?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I was going to go into a description of a "loss of depth control" story on SSN-611, showing that years later, it is still dangerous. Briefly touch on some other subs that went to the brink, but didn't cross over. I actually have that story started in a word processor doc that I was going to finish, then bring over. Eliminates problems in a "serial", where in a later part I find out I needed to say something in a previous post.

I would mention several subs and their "almost" sinking. Kinda to bring up to the year 2000.

Whattayah think?

I am gong to say that your stories are great regardless of how you may choose to tell them!

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE

Whattayah think?

I felt claustrophobic. Im pretty sure I'll stay a land lubber my whole life. Don't care to fly either.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

Whattayah think?

I will read with keen interest whatever you wish to write.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    Good tread, didn’t see it until today. I was an ET(forward not a nuke ET) on the USS Barb (SSN596) from Feb 1972 to Feb 1976. I felt sorry for the engineering guys as they were always working, having drills or training and most were doing 6 on 6 off shifts. After their shift sometimes one or two would come up to control and ask where we were, what we were watching or doing, are to take a look out of the periscope if it was up. Mostly good times.

Isn’t today the 116th birthday of the U.S. Submarine Service?

USS Barb’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/44503630539/

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    Excellent writing. Can't wait to see what you have next.

Kind of ironic I made this my screensaver yesterday...

navysealscom-000583.jpg

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Act, Your telling of the story of the Thresher puts me in the sub, and I was an Airdale not a Submariner. It's a great page turner. You're not thinking of abandoning that story right?

To the brink incidents would make a terrific stand alone companion book perhaps as a prequel to The Thresher's Last Dance. In any regard, you have a talent few people possess.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

Whattayah think?

I'd say do it!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ok. Looked at the work I had done and thought about it.

I'm going to create a new thread when I have the first story ready.
    I'll post a link to it in this thread.

The new thread will be something like "Tales from Davey Jones Locker".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A little bit of what I've done for "Tales from Davey Jones Locker"

Scorpion and Thresher were hunters of the deep. Designed to seek out and destroy enemy ships and submarines. But there was another type of submarines. A type never seen before on the planet, the Fleet Ballistic Missile submarine, or “Boomer”. At first, the Navy took a “Skipjack” class, welded a missile compartment between the bow and stern, and made a few changes to make it work. They called it the “George Washington” class. Being a completely new concept in technology, tactics, and strategy, the Navy quickly learned and came up with the “Ethan Allen” class FBM. “Ethan Allen” was the first “Boomer” designed from the ground up. Even so, only 5 submarines were built, before the Navy needed to make more changes.

The forth of the class was USS John Marshall SSBN-611 commissioned in 1962. Her commissioning was quite the event, Ethel Kennedy (Mrs. Robert Kennedy) broke the champagne bottle across her bow, and her main engines were named “Jackie” and “Ethel”, the only main engines in the sub fleet with their names proudly stenciled on. Using the same mass produced S5W reactor as the “Skipjack” and “Permit” classes, the “Ethan Allens” massed 7,900 tons (submerged) compared to the approx 3,100 tons of either attack type sub. At 410 foot long, she was also over 100 foot longer than the 250-280 feet of the attack classes. The 15,000 shaft horsepower that made the attack boats sprint, would never be able to do more than leisurely drive the Marshall.

And now, we leave USS John Marshall SSBN-611 to the eddies of time, for this is NOT her story.

Instead, we go forward in time. Instead of the 1960s, we move forward into the mid 1980s. Gone is USS John Marshall SSBN-611, shiny, clean, and full of promise and potential. In its place, is USS John Marshall SSN-611. Even when newly painted, she seems dingy, dented, worn. You see, the life of a submarine is harsh. And where surface ships are merely broken in at 30 years, the “big John” or “the Pigger” as her crew calls her is almost at the end of her life. (submarines were nicknamed pigs, and big John was the oldest and dirtiest in the mid-80s in Norfolk). Surfacing and submerging create cyclic pressures. The deeps of the ocean stress her to the very limits. Machinery operates on the envelope of its design, and even beyond. Besides painting and cleaning, her crew constantly struggle with repairs. Engineering department crewmen are experts in keeping equipment in repairs, learning more in a year than their counterparts on newer subs learn in a decade.

Notice the “B” missing from her designation. As part of the SALT series of treaties (Strategic Arms Limitations Treaty) the missiles have been removed. The Navy only has “Fast Attacks” and “Boomers”. Big John has no missiles, so it can’t be a boomer. And with VERY limited torpedoes and a lackadaisical speed, she really can’t claim to be Fast Attack. But however limited, the Navy is not just going to throw away a major investment like a nuclear powered submarine. Often the big John is called upon as a test bed when someone comes up with a new theory. After all, why risk damaging a shiny new submarine, when you have this “old salt” (salt is Navy speak for “experienced”). And every once in a while, someone accidently has a great idea. Where the “George Washingtons” were a Fast Attack, cut in half and stretched, the big John is sent to the yards and modified. You see, the Pigger had a couple things going for it if you look at it right. While not as quiet as the newer vessels, she was still invisible to most navies. And that unused missile compartment, well, space is a premium on subs, and she had space.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    "The Navy only has “Fast Attacks” and “Boomers”. "

Actaeon, I think the USN does have a thrid designation now. The SSGN, I beleive ther eare a few converted Ohio class ex-boomers that have their ballistic missles removed and replaced with Tomahawks and special ops equipment (SEALS and SEAL delivery vehicles).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "The Navy only has “Fast Attacks” and “Boomers”. "

Actaeon, I think the USN does have a thrid designation now. The SSGN, I beleive ther eare a few converted Ohio class ex-boomers that have their ballistic missles removed and replaced with Tomahawks and special ops equipment (SEALS and SEAL delivery vehicles).

Yes. You are correct. But this is just a sample. And it occurred in the mid 80s. There were no SSGNs in the 80s.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    A little bit of what I've done for "Tales from Davey Jones Locker"

Scorpion and Thresher were hunters of the deep. Designed to seek out and destroy enemy ships and submarines. But there was another type of submarines. A type never seen before on the planet, the Fleet Ballistic Missile submarine, or “Boomer”. At first, the Navy took a “Skipjack” class, welded a missile compartment between the bow and stern, and made a few changes to make it work. They called it the “George Washington” class. Being a completely new concept in technology, tactics, and strategy, the Navy quickly learned and came up with the “Ethan Allen” class FBM. “Ethan Allen” was the first “Boomer” designed from the ground up. Even so, only 5 submarines were built, before the Navy needed to make more changes.

The forth of the class was USS John Marshall SSBN-611 commissioned in 1962. Her commissioning was quite the event, Ethel Kennedy (Mrs. Robert Kennedy) broke the champagne bottle across her bow, and her main engines were named “Jackie” and “Ethel”, the only main engines in the sub fleet with their names proudly stenciled on. Using the same mass produced S5W reactor as the “Skipjack” and “Permit” classes, the “Ethan Allens” massed 7,900 tons (submerged) compared to the approx 3,100 tons of either attack type sub. At 410 foot long, she was also over 100 foot longer than the 250-280 feet of the attack classes. The 15,000 shaft horsepower that made the attack boats sprint, would never be able to do more than leisurely drive the Marshall.

And now, we leave USS John Marshall SSBN-611 to the eddies of time, for this is NOT her story.

Instead, we go forward in time. Instead of the 1960s, we move forward into the mid 1980s. Gone is USS John Marshall SSBN-611, shiny, clean, and full of promise and potential. In its place, is USS John Marshall SSN-611. Even when newly painted, she seems dingy, dented, worn. You see, the life of a submarine is harsh. And where surface ships are merely broken in at 30 years, the “big John” or “the Pigger” as her crew calls her is almost at the end of her life. (submarines were nicknamed pigs, and big John was the oldest and dirtiest in the mid-80s in Norfolk). Surfacing and submerging create cyclic pressures. The deeps of the ocean stress her to the very limits. Machinery operates on the envelope of its design, and even beyond. Besides painting and cleaning, her crew constantly struggle with repairs. Engineering department crewmen are experts in keeping equipment in repairs, learning more in a year than their counterparts on newer subs learn in a decade.

Notice the “B” missing from her designation. As part of the SALT series of treaties (Strategic Arms Limitations Treaty) the missiles have been removed. The Navy only has “Fast Attacks” and “Boomers”. Big John has no missiles, so it can’t be a boomer. And with VERY limited torpedoes and a lackadaisical speed, she really can’t claim to be Fast Attack. But however limited, the Navy is not just going to throw away a major investment like a nuclear powered submarine. Often the big John is called upon as a test bed when someone comes up with a new theory. After all, why risk damaging a shiny new submarine, when you have this “old salt” (salt is Navy speak for “experienced”). And every once in a while, someone accidently has a great idea. Where the “George Washingtons” were a Fast Attack, cut in half and stretched, the big John is sent to the yards and modified. You see, the Pigger had a couple things going for it if you look at it right. While not as quiet as the newer vessels, she was still invisible to most navies. And that unused missile compartment, well, space is a premium on subs, and she had space.
    I like your stories/facts. :thumbsup:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ok. Story is creeping along. Been a bit busy.

But, while I was doing research for the Kursk sinking, I found this.
    I know it happened a while ago. But I just found it.

[video=youtube;dKnkqc91Yjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKnkqc91Yjo[/video]

[video=youtube;_gq968pWRTQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gq968pWRTQ[/video]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kittiwake_(ASR-13)

USS Kittiwake (ASR-13) was a United States Navy Chanticleer-class submarine rescue vessel in commission from 1946 to 1994

USS Kittiwake ASR-13 was sunk for artificial reef/dive site.
    Mostly, when people think Navy, it's the Carriers, Cruisers, Destroyers, and Subs.
    But they only operate because of the Auxiliaries.
    Kittiwake provided overwatch for the Big John (USS John Marshall SSN-611) several times while I was on board.

Kinda sad to me.
    But better than being broken up for scrap.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I wasn't going to bump this on the anniversary, but here's an op-ed on the Thresher.
    https://www.military.com/daily-news...eps-secrets-sub-loss.html?ESRC=navy_180410.nl
    55 Years After Thresher Disaster, Navy Still Keeps Secrets on Sub Loss

As far as Bryant is concerned, it is time for the Navy to release all remaining documents related to the Thresher disaster.

"The entire NCOI report, especially all of the testimony, should be made available to scholars and the public at large," he wrote. "That report is sitting in a federal records center, waiting for more than a decade to be transferred to the National Archives."

In other words, he argues the Navy should comply with the spirit of Executive Order 13526, issued in December 2009. It created the National Declassification Center to facilitate the timely and systematic release of classified material.

Bryant said that even a small gesture, such as releasing the unclassified Sea Trial Agenda, would demonstrate a concern for transparency and provide greater insight for historians.

Newsflash Bryant, even though you may be fooled by there being submarine stuff on the internet, the Navy is still notoriously worried about secrets.
    Not necessarily as a cover up.
    More of a, let the dead bury the dead, worry about the living.
    Submarines continue to be one of the United States unparalleled sources of information, and attack capabilities.
    Naval leadership, and top political leadership, is less concerned with historians and other countries submarines, than keeping their submarine secrets.

Submarines have NO defensive ability, except secrecy.
    If you don't understand, maybe look at why subs are called the Silent Service.
    Pay attention to a grandstanding politician that included in his speech a part about the Japanese setting depth charges too shallow.

Top Bottom