• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "The United States Submarine Force in World War II was known as the Silent Service because the heroic deeds of submariners were kept secret. This slender force, with only 1.6 percent of the total personnel of the U.S. Navy, sunk fully 55 percent of the 10 million tons of Japanese warships and merchantment accounted for by Allied sea and air armadas. The price of this remarkable success was shatteringly high. Fifty-two boats were lost; 22 percent of submarine crewmen died in action. Their ships became their steel coffins. This was the highest fatality rate of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. Seven submariners won the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest decoration for valor. Thirty-seven submarines were awarded the elite Presidential Unit Citation; another thirtysix boats were recipients of the slightly lesser Navy Unit Commendation—by far the highest ratio of any class of warship."

The Bravest Man: Richard O'Kane and the Amazing Submarine Adventures of the USS Tang" by William Touhy

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Crash Dive: True Stories of Submarine Combat
    INTRODUCTION by Larry Bond

A sub has no defenses except for the fact that it is very hard to see through water. After fifty years of technological progress, the primary ASW sensor is still sonar. Others sensors, ranging from sniffing diesel fumes to detecting neutrinos and Kelvin wakes, have not panned out. A sub simply depends on theopacity of water to conceal its movements, both on approach and as it makes its escape.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    But there are no tombstones in the sea. Only the drifting remnants of disaster.
    Victory at Sea documentary episode 1 of 26 (Design for War) copyright 1952 NBC

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I really enjoyed reading sub stories in JHS and thought I might want to do that. Stories like Run Silent Run Deep, Up Periscope, Tokyo Torpedo, The Deep Six, The Golden Horseshoe, The Sea Wolves...just a few still sitting on my shelves. Then I read about the nuclear service (staying down until the food runs out) and changed my mind, it was more effective as a weapon but seemed to have lost the romance I thought it held...I like tanks and planes too.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I really enjoyed reading sub stories in JHS and thought I might want to do that. Stories like Run Silent Run Deep, Up Periscope, Tokyo Torpedo, The Deep Six, The Golden Horseshoe, The Sea Wolves...just a few still sitting on my shelves. Then I read about the nuclear service (staying down until the food runs out) and changed my mind, it was more effective as a weapon but seemed to have lost the romance I thought it held...I like tanks and planes too.

Months of time under water surrounded by gray walls and dudes.
    Not romantic for sure.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the series on DVD if you want to borrow it.

That would be stellar. I could make the spouse crazy with it.....:):

I always looked forward to the series on Sunday morning. That big "V" and the narrator was good times. I really enjoyed it. My dad had a passion for the 2nd WW.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It couldn't be aired today. I'm sure it would be considered racially insensitive among other things.

Yeah way to many snowflakes that have no idea there even was a war.

When my son came home from school and asked what I knew of that conflict I was amazed. He showed me his history book. 3 Paragraphed.......3. Not even a full page. They are deleting/re-writing the history books. I found a few documentary's and we watched them. He was amazed that we were that involved.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yeah way to many snowflakes that have no idea there even was a war.

When my son came home from school and asked what I knew of that conflict I was amazed. He showed me his history book. 3 Paragraphed.......3. Not even a full page. They are deleting/re-writing the history books. I found a few documentary's and we watched them. He was amazed that we were that involved.

You would think the leftists who are busy indoctrinating the children would be all over FDR. He practically invented the nanny state.

Top Bottom