• ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I drove for about 15 years with about 1.5 million miles logged. About 4 years ago I lost my medical due to diabetes and now I manage the company I used to work for. We haul exclusively for FedEx Ground. I have 18 trucks and 22 drivers that run about 65,000 miles a month. Our trucks dont' stop much. I trade them in about 4-4.5 years with anywhere between 700,000-1,000,000 miles.

This isn't one of my actual trucks but is identical to what I run. Freightliner Coronados pulling double trailers
    11521673185_37e086b7b5_b.jpg

I wouldn't want to back into tight spaces with that rig! Do drivers have to do that, or do you separate the 2nd trailer somehow?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    As far as pulling doubles and triples, you couldn't pay me enough. Driving something with one hinge is pleanty. Driving something with three hinges is insane.

But the guys that do say the same thing about me. " Your just driving a bomb around". To which I reply "I know. But is something goes really bad, I won't feel much. BOOM!! It will be over quick". They look at me like I've not right in the head. Well.........

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Do lot lizards still exist????

You are bringing back memories! When I was young, my dad went to Bud's truck stop in Indianapolis to "acquire" a permit he couldn't get properly over a weekend. He took a friend for safety but they made me stay in the truck while they were buying. All the way to Indy, Tom was telling me about lizards. They both got a laugh at my expense when they returned to the truck to find me using the search light looking for reptiles.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Here is my dream hot rod.

788e0f77ed1783a6e77699be1e8382be.jpg

I'd like a 12.7 Detroit or maybe an Cummins N14. A double over drive 10 speed and something like 2:50 gears in an air lockable rearend. I'd want the trailer brake handle to be hooked up to the front brakes (line lock!!). And I'd drive it like churchmouse in a Camaro!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Back in 2009. Yes. I drove for Swift. Had to start somewhere. This was a load of 3/4 gas pipe I picked up in Texas and took it to Seattle.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Back in 2009. Yes. I drove for Swift. Had to start somewhere. This was a load of 3/4 gas pipe I picked up in Texas and took it to Seattle.

My Dad was a driver-trainer for Swift back in the day. I remember he picked up chassis in South Carolina and took the to Elkhart. Getting a new truck involved going to Phoenix. In 95 he passed through Wichita when we were stationed at McConnell. It seems like every new truck had "issues", like missing the air filter.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I guess some guys can really wheel 'em. Saw something yesterday I hadn't seen before. I was NB on Emerson Ave at Thompson Rd. Just south of Beech Grove. SB Emerson has 2 left turn lanes to go east on Thompson Rd. A semi in the outside (his right) left turn lane came way wide looking like he was going to make wide left turn onto Thompson. Instead, he made a U turn and went back north on Emerson. I was impressed that he could accomplish that 180 in 4 lanes.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    There are definitely some drivers that impress me. Some of the guys at work can basically Jack knife their 53 foot trailers between two trailers, pull forward a little to straighten out, and back right into the dock. I'd need a runway.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I wouldn't want to back into tight spaces with that rig! Do drivers have to do that, or do you separate the 2nd trailer somehow?

I could be wrong but my bil told me they usually separate. He said backing a double trailer was interesting because you do the opposite of what you do when you back a single.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Some drivers never get it. I'd have a hard time angle backing into a dock. I haven't done it in about 10 years. But the for sure way to not hit anything is G.O.A.L. Get Out And Look. Some drivers are just too lazy.

I was the lead maintenance tech at my last job. Trucks, bulldozers, front end loaders, skid steers, plant electric, hydraulics, motors and pumps, silos, conveyors, compressors, electronic boards.
    We had a Kenworth with a 2 speed air shifted diff with reverse. So of course I had to drive it backwards at 55mph just because it could.
    I was the guy the drivers asked to back the trailer in. If you see the trailer in either mirror, it's not straight. Watch the mirrors for the dock and you shouldn't see the trailer at all.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We do some tight maneuvering to get into/out of some of our stations. But I've done the same station so many times, it seems second nature to me.

With the big 6 axle trailer, it's easier to maneuver than a tandem. The pivot point on the trailer is about 5 feet closer to the kingpin. We just have to watch out for tail swing.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Plan to surrender my Class A, end T, this fall when it expires. Too much of my life was spent in front of LCVs on slippery slopes in the shadow of The Lakes. It's really difficult for me to get excited about "Large Cars", "Big Rigs" or any other enamored label.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I guess some guys can really wheel 'em. Saw something yesterday I hadn't seen before. I was NB on Emerson Ave at Thompson Rd. Just south of Beech Grove. SB Emerson has 2 left turn lanes to go east on Thompson Rd. A semi in the outside (his right) left turn lane came way wide looking like he was going to make wide left turn onto Thompson. Instead, he made a U turn and went back north on Emerson. I was impressed that he could accomplish that 180 in 4 lanes.

The hardest part of that maneuver is getting it done without some pinhead getting in under you. It is almost as bad as the idiots who try to pass you on the shoulder to make a right turn while you are making a right turn from the correct lane. I have sent several home for clean underwear over that stunt.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Plan to surrender my Class A, end T, this fall when it expires. Too much of my life was spent in front of LCVs on slippery slopes in the shadow of The Lakes. It's really difficult for me to get excited about "Large Cars", "Big Rigs" or any other enamored label.

I am with you about the excitement or lack thereof. These days I drive a Peterbilt 377 day cab with a 325 hp 3176 Caterpillar (a 10L engine). I do not miss the 379 extended hood with a 550 hp 3406E 14.6L I used to drive. It is easy to drive and I am getting over 7 miles per gallon as opposed to 5 and some change.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The hardest part of that maneuver is getting it done without some pinhead getting in under you. It is almost as bad as the idiots who try to pass you on the shoulder to make a right turn while you are making a right turn from the correct lane. I have sent several home for clean underwear over that stunt.

Those still blow my mind. Some of our trailers are wrapped with the stations we deliver to (Speedway). Let's see here. A gas truck that has Speedway all over it is nearing a Speedway station on the right. The right turn signal comes on and the truck slows down. The truck goes left into the oncoming lane to make the tight turn. Jackass in the 4 wheeler runs up the barely open lane on the right side of the truck. The truck driver see this jackwad. The truck slows more to enter the drive but jackwad now realizes his road is blocked. Trucker stops and waits for jackwad to back up. Jackwad gets out of his Chevy Cavalier wondering why the Speedway truck, pulling into the Speedway station suddenly cut him off.

Some are absolutely clueless.

I've only been driving a truck for 10 years. July will be 8 years at my current job. I always seem to think they (drivers) can't do anything to surprise me anymore.

They always prove me wrong.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Those still blow my mind. Some of our trailers are wrapped with the stations we deliver to (Speedway). Let's see here. A gas truck that has Speedway all over it is nearing a Speedway station on the right. The right turn signal comes on and the truck slows down. The truck goes left into the oncoming lane to make the tight turn. Jackass in the 4 wheeler runs up the barely open lane on the right side of the truck. The truck driver see this jackwad. The truck slows more to enter the drive but jackwad now realizes his road is blocked. Trucker stops and waits for jackwad to back up. Jackwad gets out of his Chevy Cavalier wondering why the Speedway truck, pulling into the Speedway station suddenly cut him off.

Some are absolutely clueless.

I've only been driving a truck for 10 years. July will be 8 years at my current job. I always seem to think they (drivers) can't do anything to surprise me anymore.

They always prove me wrong.

Unfortunately there is no bottom limit on stupidity.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Before retirement I was a supervisor in our office, we could see the entrance to our delivery lot. It had a narrow opening to the loading docks and did require some patience and skill from the drivers. Most handled it in stride, some were amazing when they backed in.

The others, well lets say they used 2 lanes of roadway, a wide parking lot and triple wide entry gate and still could not get in the lot. We had some good views from the office window. Had to ask a couple to just go away after they knocked down the gate and/or concrete wall....

Don

Top Bottom