• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I can say the same thing about what you said to me. You think you know what I’m thinking, and I have a whole history of writing the opposite of what you suggested. I’m not offended by that. But I would like you to devote your belief to something more accurate.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of demographics on the link between police encounters, drugs and social status. It strikes me that we are likely to see police interaction among the poorer segments of society at a much higher rate than the overall average. I think, intuitively, you might agree with me.

However, when it comes to Terry stops, there is no doubt that blacks are more likely to be stopped than whites and it is not necessarily dependent on socio-economic status. A black man driving an expensive car is more likely to be stopped than a white man. And it continues down the economic spectrum.

There is no doubt in most circles that the statistics skew in a certain way. Why they skew is complicated, but a portion of that skew is profiling and racially implicated.

I'm not a #BLM supporter. But I do support equal treatment and enforcement. That's what the Constitution calls for and conservatives should feel the same about that as anyone else. Why police reform is not high on McConell's agenda escapes me.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of demographics on the link between police encounters, drugs and social status. It strikes me that we are likely to see police interaction among the poorer segments of society at a much higher rate than the overall average. I think, intuitively, you might agree with me.

However, when it comes to Terry stops, there is no doubt that blacks are more likely to be stopped than whites and it is not necessarily dependent on socio-economic status. A black man driving an expensive car is more likely to be stopped than a white man. And it continues down the economic spectrum.

There is no doubt in most circles that the statistics skew in a certain way. Why they skew is complicated, but a portion of that skew is profiling and racially implicated.

I'm not a #BLM supporter. But I do support equal treatment and enforcement. That's what the Constitution calls for and conservatives should feel the same about that as anyone else. Why police reform is not high on McConell's agenda escapes me.

You do realize that profiling, conducted in an unbiased manner, has a firm basis in statistics? If young men from the boroughs are found to be much more likely to be carrying and causing trouble in lower Manhattan by sampling, and police resources are limited (which they are), then data driven policing (in vogue at the time) will devote those resources preferentially to where the crime is/is coming from. I don't think very many jewish boys from the upper west side were causing trouble, so they probably got less scrutiny

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    There must be a reasonable basis for suspicion besides statistics according to the law. We would need a LEO or lawyer to chime in on the present state of Terry stops.

Just because a male is more likely to be a criminal than a female and young males are more likely to be present miscreants than others, does not mean that police can stop any male teenager on the basis of statistics. You do not get warrants based on statistics. That is not a free society.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    If members of any group of people smirk at you on a consistent basis and say something along the lines of "We don need no stinking badges" then you as a law enforcement officer have to include that into your calculations on whether or not you will kiss your children good night.

As the citizens who pay your salary we insist that you not make a scene and keep the peace.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think you know that's not true. You've seen his opinion of that **** just the same as I have. C'mon, man!

It's called making a point.

What Alpo tried to frame on Jamil was unacceptable and ridiculous. Those type of accusations cause people to lose their jobs and livelihoods.
    And Alpo knows full well that Jamil is not that way, which makes it doubly disturbing.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Well, perhaps it was too "inside". Jamil understood that it was a debate point against his argument. It wasn't the way I think of Jamil. I have too much respect for his integrity and points of view.

That you misunderstood it is the danger of kibbitzing.

On the other hand, I think you do believe those articles you post.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    You two remind me of raising an animal that had been stuck in the birth canal too long.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It's called making a point.

What Alpo tried to frame on Jamil was unacceptable and ridiculous. Those type of accusations cause people to lose their jobs and livelihoods.
    And Alpo knows full well that Jamil is not that way, which makes it doubly disturbing.

Alpo is returning to his democrat roots.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, perhaps it was too "inside". Jamil understood that it was a debate point against his argument. It wasn't the way I think of Jamil. I have too much respect for his integrity and points of view.

That you misunderstood it is the danger of kibbitzing.

On the other hand, I think you do believe those articles you post.

His memory, on the other hand....

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That was a very humble and well put endorsement.

Wrought with white privilege, through and through.

Top Bottom