The unofficial Churches should not be tax exempt thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Churches be tax exempt?

• Total voters

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So many people I thought were conservative who want taxation expanded.

i-has-sad

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's called paying their share the NFL and other multi million dollar companies dont pay a dime.

If you expend your income in business expense (including salaries) the business doesn't pay income taxes. Whether it's WalMart, the NFL or my law firm, that's the way it works.

"pay their share"- that's leftist class warfare language. As far as I can tell, these businesses are paying exactly what the law requires....which is, by definition, their "share".

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I liked taxes when I was a kid. We did not have a car, so, when we went grocery shopping we had to either walk two miles there and back or take a taxe.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The nfl is a nonprofit organization supposedly. Your firm isn't. We are talking about nonprofit organizations paying taxes. I am saying that before a church does, groups like the NFL need to.they don't pay a dime. They make hundreds of millions not one dime in taxes.

I do love using Obama's quote. If fits in here.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The nfl is a nonprofit organization supposedly. Your firm isn't. We are talking about nonprofit organizations paying taxes. I am saying that before a church does, groups like the NFL need to.they don't pay a dime. They make hundreds of millions not one dime in taxes.

I do love using Obama's quote. If fits in here.
    Actually it isn't anymore.

The teams never were. That is of course where the money is actually generated.

https://time.com/3839164/nfl-tax-exempt-status/

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Actually it isn't anymore.

The teams never were. That is of course where the money is actually generated.

https://time.com/3839164/nfl-tax-exempt-status/

From the article:

[FONT=&amp]Politicians, however, largely fail to explain the scope of these tax-exemptions – which are much more limited than they may appear. The NFL’s teams, who see a bulk of the league’s $11 billion in revenue, are taxable entities. So the NFL does pay taxes. The league office is tax-exempt, but it generated just $9 million in income during the 2012 tax year.[/FONT]

...and the $9 mil income is not what they pay taxes on. Deduct operating expenses (and a few other things) just like any and all businesses and that is what you pay taxes on. I imagine they will structure it to pay just enough to not pay none...which they could also arrange...and I'm fine with

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    From the article:

...and the $9 mil income is not what they pay taxes on. Deduct operating expenses (and a few other things) just like any and all businesses and that is what you pay taxes on. I imagine they will structure it to pay just enough to not pay none...which they could also arrange...and I'm fine with
    They voluntarily gave that up. That was what the article was about.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe it's not a case of wanting to see taxation expanded and it's more a case of Joe Citizen has to pay taxes on his meager earnings why shouldn't a multi billion dollar industry pay taxes as well?

This. Either we all are exempt, or none. Obviously, I prefer the former.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They voluntarily gave that up. That was what the article was about.

They gave up tax exempt status, but only paying on what is left over after expenses (and other deductions) is how it works in a for-profit business....as I said.

Maybe it's not a case of wanting to see taxation expanded and it's more a case of Joe Citizen has to pay taxes on his meager earnings why shouldn't a multi billion dollar industry pay taxes as well?

...which would seem to indicate that Joe Citizen in afflicted by both class envy and complete ignorance about the way taxes work.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If you expend your income in business expense (including salaries) the business doesn't pay income taxes. Whether it's WalMart, the NFL or my law firm, that's the way it works.

"pay their share"- that's leftist class warfare language. As far as I can tell, these businesses are paying exactly what the law requires....which is, by definition, their "share".

When Romney said he paid every dime of taxes that he owed [to the Cayman Islands], somehow people thought the caveat indicated something wrong with the system rather than any kind of 'fairness'

Now, I'll be the first to say that 'fair' is the first half of 'fairy tale' and neither exists in real life

Top Bottom