• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok guys! Here is my question. I have been looking into getting an "Assault weapon" for some time now, and my primary choice is the Romanian WASR-10. I love having an AK style weapon, and the 7.62 is a sick round. Plus, its cheap.:rockwoot: So is the WASR, the main reasons i like it (im on a poor college students budget). So, for those of you who own a WASR, or know somebody who does, what do you really like about it? And what do you hate about it? Tell me some problems the weapon has? Also, i know how to shop for a WASR (look for canted sights, mag wobble, etc..) so you dont have to mention those.

Other "assault weapon" suggestions would be great too.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it :patriot:

Last edited:

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I've put plenty of rounds down range with my wasr without a single problem. The only thing that I've found that I dislike about it is its bad rep.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've had one for about 3 year, they are cheap, and dead reliable. The only con I can think of, is the ugly wood furniture. I sanded mine down, and rubed in some linseed oil; it looked pretty good, but I ended up throwing some synthetic furniture on.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    While I do not consider mine an "assault weapon", mine is just a rifle. :dunno: ;)

Anyway, I own a WASR 10 and I know several of my friends that own them as well. Mine has been 100% since day one and I love it. Everyone I know that owns one has been completely happy with theirs as well.

Mine eats any kind of ammo I feed it and has had zero malfunctions. Runs if it is clean, runs if it is dirty, it doesn't stop and is plenty accurate too.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    moving past the can of worms that is calling a semi-auto rifle an assault rifle/weapon, the WASR is fine. Just make sure you properly inspect the rifle for flaws such as canted sights. Some things such as mag wobble are common but should not affect function.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My WASR10 is not the prettiest girl on the block, but she never stops. It is as accurate as I expected. It feeds ANY ammo. Actually I believe if the cases were made from petrified horse crap it would still feed. They are sometimes considered bottom of the barrel with AK style rifles, but I love it. I know it will work no matter what. I have an AR and other rifles for shooting for accuracy. If you have to kill everything in the room, pick up the WASR10.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As others have said, I think you'll be happy with a WASR (or any number of variants out there). Sounds like you already have the basic "what to look for/avoid" questions handled.

And yes, "assault weapon" = what "the press" calls anything more deadly than this:
    images
    ;)

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Wow another*** edited

this..is getting straight silly.
    I will help

Look at the long gun thread from 2 days ago about the ingoer having trouble deciding what ak to buy on the third set of threads i posted ak links from 20 or so recent post from the past month that ask THIS same question. Might i suggest clickin a day back on the long gun threads and check it out i hope it helps.....:welcome:

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    As others have said, I think you'll be happy with a WASR (or any number of variants out there). Sounds like you already have the basic "what to look for/avoid" questions handled.

And yes, "assault weapon" = what "the press" calls anything more deadly than this:
    images
    ;)
    Heck, in Arden Hills MN (a suburb of St Paul), that is considered a firearm. I know, I was once charged.

Now to the OP. Make certain you get one that was imported a few years back, there was recently a ban on importing the barrels with the parts kits that CAI gets and the newer imports don't have the chrome lined barrels. Additionally, make certain you test fire it right away. The CAI WASRs sometimes are thrown together rather quickly and have issues with the trigger group. I've seen several that will double or triple fire with a single pull of the trigger:eek: right out of the box. They are FUN that way and are WAY easy to bump fire, but do you really want 10 years in prison for it?

Here is one of mine with a few mods:
    GunshowA37.jpg

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I bought my first WASR-10 a year ago last May and it's worked fine. I was fairly lucky because I bought it without knowing about its potential flaws. I bought another one last February ("two is one, and one is none") and, aside from a touch of mag wobble with steel mags (works fine with plastic ones, amazingly) it's worked just fine as well.

If you don't like the wooden furniture, and don't want to refinish it, you can always get a couple cans of Krylon paint and have fun camouflaging it to your taste!

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    ...Now to the OP. Make certain you get one that was imported a few years back, there was recently a ban on importing the barrels with the parts kits that CAI gets and the newer imports don't have the chrome lined barrels.
    This is 100% incorrect, please be careful when repeating rumors as fact because people will believe them.
    ALL WASRS HAVE ROMANIAN CHROME-LINED BARRELS. Always have.
    Century doesn't "make" them from parts kits, they're made in Romania at the Cugir factory with Romanian parts and Romanian barrels on Romanian receivers. Century is the importer.
    Century adds the required 922(r) parts to allow them to be imported and sold as accepting full-capacity magazines, that's it.

[edit:] Here are 2 of mine:
    IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I've had zero problems with any of mine . Good gun for the money.Plus Dunhams will have them for 389.99 black friday.

Three years ago $299.99. Still pissed at myself not jumping on that.

Thinking about getting one of these still however. The price just keeps going higher. I have a Saiga but still would like to have one for just run and fun.

Top Bottom