• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    When I was "in" I chose to carry the M60 just to have something in .30 cal. The high shooter in the outfit choosing to use a 60, don't think I didn't catch crap for that. What I would have given for a M14. I did then (and still do) consider having to use 5.56 a threat to my longevity. My son loved his M4 so I guess my mental condition is only one generation deep...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've got one that's light with a LW barrel and an aimpoint micro. My SBR by my bed is honestly way too heavy though. It's got a full sized aimpoint, PEQ (because it pulls double duty), and a silencer that's a bit heavy hanging off the end. For some reason I've got one of the heaviest rifles I own next to my bed. Something short and light weight with a flashlight light, and small dot is what I need.

Honestly seedubs said sling, sight, and light. That pretty much sums it up for me. If I intend to use it at night possibly then an IR laser/illuminator and that's it.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    When I was "in" I chose to carry the M60 just to have something in .30 cal. The high shooter in the outfit choosing to use a 60, don't think I didn't catch crap for that. What I would have given for a M14. I did then (and still do) consider having to use 5.56 a threat to my longevity. My son loved his M4 so I guess my mental condition is only one generation deep...

No you are correct. Like the 9mm, not the most lethal round but very popular and usually gets the job done. Pros and cons for all of them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My patrol rifle is a musket M-16 with a light and Aimpoint. I never really thought about weight as most of the time I never had to hump it or aim it long enough for small weight differences to matter.

Then I held a armed suspect at gunpoint for about 45 minutes (domestic violence suspect armed with a pistol threatening suicide, which he later made good on). My left arm was in full noodle mode when SWAT relieved me. Weight was really on my mind at that point.

I suspect at some point I'll go the M-4 length. I don't know that I'll spend the $$$ on a truly lightweight build.

That is a real world experience. But in reality how many of "US" are actually going to be that deeply involved. And if we are then we need to man up and deal.
    So many options opinions and experienced reality's.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    IMHO, the "truly" lightweight builds are range toys.

But there's a lot you can do with your build (or purchase) to keep the weight significantly lower and make the rifle handle so much better. When you're ready, seriously look into BCM's ELW options. Faxon gunner and BA Hanson barrels are great as well. Those type of barrel profiles take a huge chunk or weight off the muzzle end and make the rifle handle a lot better. Same goes for getting rid of heavy quad rails and stuff you don't use. The more you hang on the barrel end, the heavier the rifles are to swing and hold up.

Although, for off hand shooting, there is something to be said for a bit of weight on the muzzle end to balance the rifle and make for a more steady shot.

Right tool for the job and all that.....

I suspect at some point I'll go the M-4 length. I don't know that I'll spend the $$$ on a truly lightweight build.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That is a real world experience. But in reality how many of "US" are actually going to be that deeply involved. And if we are then we need to man up and deal.

Mission drives the gear train, as they say. Ideally you'd have a set like golf clubs, pull the right rifle for what you need at the moment.

I did then (and still do) consider having to use 5.56 a threat to my longevity. My son loved his M4 so I guess my mental condition is only one generation deep...

5.56 is pretty much ideal for close range fights with limited intermediate barriers, which is what the vast vast majority of what actual defensive scenarios stateside are. Significant tissue damage while still fragmenting on barriers and not continuing to be lethal for long distances afterward. Assuming proper velocity and proper ammo selection, of course.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My patrol rifle is a musket M-16 with a light and Aimpoint. I never really thought about weight as most of the time I never had to hump it or aim it long enough for small weight differences to matter.

Then I held a armed suspect at gunpoint for about 45 minutes (domestic violence suspect armed with a pistol threatening suicide, which he later made good on). My left arm was in full noodle mode when SWAT relieved me. Weight was really on my mind at that point.

Car load of HS kids stopped in my rural shared driveway at O-dark-thirty. I heard something was up then seen the multiples moving around the neighbors yard.

I grabbed the fully outfitted 1100, cuz that's what its for :rolleyes:. I was behind a big bush with the scattergun (sporting eighteen 00 buck and a light) for about 10 minutes while the kids scavenger hunted or played chinese fire drill or whatever.

I soon became apparent that the kids were no threat, but I was pinned down unless I chose to give up me and old Bessie's cover. What a grueling effort it was to just hold that monster heavy gun at low ready for long, much less not just lay it on the ground.

The old girl wears a sling now, but she's not the designated property gun any longer.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    And that's why you get an AR. 18 rounds of 12 gauge is freaking heavy. I'll take 30 rounds of 5.56 any day over that.

Car load of HS kids stopped in my rural shared driveway at O-dark-thirty. I heard something was up then seen the multiples moving around the neighbors yard.

I grabbed the fully outfitted 1100, cuz that's what its for :rolleyes:. I was behind a big bush with the scattergun (sporting eighteen 00 buck and a light) for about 10 minutes while the kids scavenger hunted or played chinese fire drill or whatever.

I soon became apparent that the kids were no threat, but I was pinned down unless I chose to give up me and old Bessie's cover. What a grueling effort it was to just hold that monster heavy gun at low ready for long, much less not just lay it on the ground.

The old girl wears a sling now, but she's not the designated property gun any longer.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Think of a weapon as a golf club or a hand tool.

The threshold question is: what do you want to do? Drive a nail or sink a screw? In a sand trap or on the green? Different tool.

For me, cut the weight. IF, BIG IF, the carbines are out, things are really bad and I intend to be moving, a lot; I want it swagger stick light.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As well, remember, one can have multiple set ups.

For me, a few swagger sticks AND I have a DMRish (6920 with ACT trigger and ACOG and leather sling) and a nice heavy 458 SOCOM with low power optic (cars).

Like a tool box or a golf club bag.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Think of a weapon as a golf club or a hand tool.

The threshold question is: what do you want to do? Drive a nail or sink a screw? In a sand trap or on the green? Different tool.

For me, cut the weight. IF, BIG IF, the carbines are out, things are really bad and I intend to be moving, a lot; I want it swagger stick light.

Golf and guns is good analogy.
    Your pistol is your putter. It's only good when you're on the green.

SBRs are your wedges.

Carbines are your irons.

Bolt guns are your woods.

The AK is a 2 iron. Everybody knows, you can't hit **** with a 2 iron.

For me, guns have always been about distance. I like this analogy.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Golf and guns is good analogy.
    Your pistol is your putter. It's only good when you're on the green.

SBRs are your wedges.

Carbines are your irons.

Bolt guns are your woods.

The AK is a 2 iron. Everybody knows, you can't hit **** with a 2 iron.

For me, guns have always been about distance. I like this analogy.

You're swinging the wrong 2 iron. When are we're doing this PCC shoot I've got the club you're missing lol

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I wanna totaly read the thread so far before I make a comment on the weight and other items on a battle rifle. This is a very cool thread. I wanted to offer a piece of advice for anyone wanting to know the weight of their rifle without say a postal scale. Also this works for a combat loadout.
    Get on the scale and weigh yourself normal. Then get back on with your gear on or just holding your rifle. Subtract the numbers and theres your rifle or loadout weight. Simple.
    Even if your scale isnt accurate the weight change will be.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Ok I've read all of the responses.
    I think a proper sling is the most underrated piece of gear/accessory out there. Proper use of it will diminish fatigue, improve accuracy, facilitate transitioning and travel. A light is an absolute must. Even before you buy a red dot if you are on a budget you should have a reliable light (as long as you have iron sights at least lol), surefire, streamlight, insight. A reliable red dot optic. Or something with true 1 power to 4 or 6 or 8 power is ok too.
    I think more people should consider 20 round mags. If you need more your in deep **** and you can always recharge with a 30 or a drum lol.
    Weight is very important. I bet a lot of people would get fatigued just holding their rifle up for 4, 30 round mag dumps. Hey I'm not accustomed to wielding a rifle anymore either so I'm not saying I'm rambo.
    I think too many people overlook or discount the light weight pencil barrels. They should be used in more guns. Especialy home defense builds. Light weight rails like keymod and mlok are big weight reducers. The quad rails are a think of the past. Modernize or die of fatigue lol.
    A lot of people also think they need to have 2 separate rifles for different task. The whole point of AR's is quick change uppers. Build a solid lower and 2 uppers. One short and one longer. All fits in one case and you can even use the same optic like a trijicon accupower 1-4x24 with a american defense QD mount and if you pre plan you will be on target with both uppers in a hurry. or have 2 optics whatever.

Top Bottom