PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My SPR. 11 lbs with a full 20 rd mag.
    SPR2018b.jpg

It's too heavy for a long haul but I'm planning more for defensive, I have other resources if I have to travel. None of which are as cool as Leadeye's.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Another good test before you bolt the Brownell's catalog to your weapon: does this solve a problem for me.

Keeps weight down. The John Frum crap is out of control but asking if something solves a problem is a good way to save weight and money.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Another good test before you bolt the Brownell's catalog to your weapon: does this solve a problem for me.

Keeps weight down. The John Frum crap is out of control but asking if something solves a problem is a good way to save weight and money.

This is pretty much how I built my SBR. I didn't really pay any mind to how heavy, or light weight it would be en the end, just would it do everything I wanted it to.

I put on a red dot sight. I ended up with an Aimpoint M4s through a trade. I'm right handed, but left eye dominant, and struggled for years having to close one eye to engage targets. Finally on my last (3rd) combat deployment I got a red dot (EoTech) and it changed my life. (I swear it also save it twice) Yes... I need a red dot.

I also have a Surefire scout light on it. I like to see what I'm aiming at in the dark. It's of the utmost importance to be able to make a clear decision on if I need to fire or not. The LAST thing I need is for me to draw down on a home invader, only to find out it's our son or daughter coming home on a weekend late at night to surprise us. I need a light. EVERY defensive gun needs a light. My daily carry handgun has a light.

I have a vertical foregrip too, because it helps me to hold the damn thing better. Different people like different grips... preference, and all. I have a lot of nerve damage from my injuries. Couple that with my old school training. and I just shoot better with a vertical foregrip than without. If it makes me better, it goes on the gun.

I put a Law Tactical folder on it so I can fold it up, and stick it in a bag without taking it apart. This is just a convenience thing. It's not needed to fight with, but it does solve a OPSEC problem. I like the idea of being able to fold it up and stow it away from prying eyes, so it's worth a couple ounces... It solves the problem of looking like I'm toting a gun case.

The sling is self
    explanatory...

I also have a 3X magnifier. This I just got. It helps to pick up details at distance, but I'm still evaluating weather I'm gonna keep it on the gun or not. I do have a good sized piece of land, and I could use it on the property, but it's not needed in the home. The weight doesn't bother me in the least, I just don't know if I want to be flipping it back and forth or not.

Everything on the gun has a reason to be there... so far.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Lightweight 16" would be my pref.

One I have (not lightweight) works great, shoots great.........but is a little heavier than it needs to be.
    Sitting by the bed..........doesn't matter but..............

It runs irons. If I swap bbl out, keep it irons.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Most of mine come in just under 7lbs. Huge spectrum on optic/weaponlight weights, gotta be careful.

Most of my uppers are BCM ELW and lightweight rails.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    G0cA5KTh.jpg

10 pounds , fluted heavy profile barrel, Trijicon 1-8 in a Seekins Precision mount, Surefire scout light and a 30 round Lancer magazine loaded with M262 Mod 1 77gr SMK's.

This is my general purpose "do everything" AR

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    My go-to rifle is a BCM 14.5" w/pinned Surefire comp, ELW fluted barrel, Aimpoint T2, ATPIAL-C, Surefire P3X Fury, and BCM KAG. Never weighed it, but I'm guessing 8.5 to 9lbs

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think my DD is around 8# right now. Mostly due to the 18" S2W profile barrel (2.81# alone).

I'm (slowly) building another upper around a lightweight 16" middy.

Still haven't settled on an optic, so I'm using an interim selection far from ideal.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I don't really have a go-to rifle because I am not an operator like the rest of you :^)
    There are a few ARs in the safe, but to tell you the truth I like my sig .556 better... now if only it was the SBR version.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I don't really have a go-to rifle because I am not an operator like the rest of you :^)
    There are a few ARs in the safe, but to tell you the truth I like my sig .556 better... now if only it was the SBR version.

I must admit, I am definitely a low-speed/high-drag Operator.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I like my AR with the aimpoint pro, a vickers sling, and a surefire flashlight on it. The midwest industries lightweight rail is pretty slick on it, and actually cut some weight :)

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I like my AR with the aimpoint pro, a vickers sling, and a surefire flashlight on it. The midwest industries lightweight rail is pretty slick on it, and actually cut some weight :)

This is pretty much the ideal rifle set up imo. Quality optic, quality white light, quality quick adjust two point sling.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Ok I've read all of the responses.
    I think a proper sling is the most underrated piece of gear/accessory out there. Proper use of it will diminish fatigue, improve accuracy, facilitate transitioning and travel. A light is an absolute must. Even before you buy a red dot if you are on a budget you should have a reliable light (as long as you have iron sights at least lol), surefire, streamlight, insight. A reliable red dot optic. Or something with true 1 power to 4 or 6 or 8 power is ok too.
    I think more people should consider 20 round mags. If you need more your in deep **** and you can always recharge with a 30 or a drum lol.
    Weight is very important. I bet a lot of people would get fatigued just holding their rifle up for 4, 30 round mag dumps. Hey I'm not accustomed to wielding a rifle anymore either so I'm not saying I'm rambo.
    I think too many people overlook or discount the light weight pencil barrels. They should be used in more guns. Especialy home defense builds. Light weight rails like keymod and mlok are big weight reducers. The quad rails are a think of the past. Modernize or die of fatigue lol.
    A lot of people also think they need to have 2 separate rifles for different task. The whole point of AR's is quick change uppers. Build a solid lower and 2 uppers. One short and one longer. All fits in one case and you can even use the same optic like a trijicon accupower 1-4x24 with a american defense QD mount and if you pre plan you will be on target with both uppers in a hurry. or have 2 optics whatever.
    I missed this thread originally. (To busy mucking it up in the GP forum) but I like this advice. Pretty much covers it IMHO.

Aflac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Ultimately it's your rifle so your preference. So long as you are comfortable with and able to handle it that is all that matters

greed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I never thought mine was heavy until a shot friend's skeletonized Demo Ranch AR. It felt like I was holding nothing.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Fighting means home defense for most people.
    Small dimensions, penetration* through barriers to strike your opponent and relatively light weight (for persons of lesser strength) are major considerations. So I'm all for the most practical lightest weight package.

*Yeah, I know gun writers have hyped reducing penetration forever.
    They need to sell magazines and people trying to deal with a killer need to touch someone.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Early Colt 6920, BCM13" front keymod handguard, Comp M3, BCM charge handle medium, Bad ambi-safety, Surefire x300, stubby Harris Bipod.
    Sorry TT, I dropped the 2pt sling for home defense but it's on qd swivels if I need to take it off property.
    I'll guess weight is 8lbs+ but it won't be noticeable in a must use defensive situation.
    I have other home defense weapons and ammo hidden around the house but I grab this one first if it's a rifle situation.

Top Bottom