The wife just said something that made...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    my jaw it the floor. She wants to get her LTCP and learn how to use a firearm and start to carry. I will not get into the details why, but I am extremly proud right now. I am going to get her a snubbie .38 of some sort. This is along way from what she use to be. She has always been a little anti-gun. I guess I am rubbing off on her...in a good way for once.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    That's great! But my suggestion? Let HER pick out the gun. By all means answer any questions, and make suggestions if she goes for something really inappropiate as a self defense gun, but let her pick out what she wants.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Tom has the right idea. I tried to pick out my wife's first carry gun. That led to some of the biggest fights we've ever had. Once I stepped back and just made suggestions where needed, things smoothed over. She finally found a little S&W model 66 snubbie she liked and has been happy with it for almost 20 years.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Pami was pretty set on the Pink & Stainless Taurus Millennium Pro at Gander....

I think Shay's list of approved firearms is what finally lead her to the Sig P226R.

She handled at least 10 pistols at Cabela's the day we purchased the Sig. She handled at least 30 more before that between Gander and Pop Guns.
    It was a hard choice between the Glock 19, and the Sig P226R. She finally decided she wanted the Sig regardless of the 50% higher price.

Your Mileage May Vary. Your wife might want whatever revolver you choose to put in her hand. I would try very hard to get her involved in the decision making process, and make sure she takes some Classes.

I know Sheriff Campbell won't let Husbands and Wives stand near each other during his classes. I suspect there's a pretty good reason for that ;)

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    Thanks for the advice. I will take her out shopping and let her pick out her piece. She has never handled a firearm before, that is why I am guideing her towards a snubbie .38. I want to break her in slowly. Eventualy, she might carry a auto.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Have her shoot some different weapons before she buys if she hasn't already. My first handgun was too small and it didn't take long for me to ditch it for something bigger. I was afraid of the recoil when I made the first purchase and it was inappropriate.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I have to echo what everyone else says... Let her pick the firearm. She needs to be comfortable with it. And if she looks at semi-autos, make sure she can operate the slide!!!

I hear/read a lot of guys pushing women that are new to guns into revolvers because they're "easier" and my personal favorite "there's not as many buttons." While that may be true, and now that I've actually had the opportunity to handle one I can see the point more clearly, I'm still really glad I stood my ground on the semi-auto. But let HER make that decision.

I'm also glad I started with a .22. It got me used to how a gun fires and what to expect when you pull the trigger.

If your wife wants to meet up at the range some time to put some rounds through any of our collection (I have a Mosquito and P226 which are great for small hands, Lars has a S&W .22 and his HK), we'll be happy to meet you where-ever. :)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Where can you see the list?

It came from a training class they took together a month ago.
    I believe it was:
    "I wish people would bring guns that work to these classes."
    "What are guns that work?"
    "Glocks, Sigs, and HKs."

There's your list. :)

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    TomN,

At the Newcastle Training last month, Shay made a comment about wishing people would bring guns to classes that "Just run"

Mike asked him which guns "just run" to which the answer was "Glocks, Sigs, and HKs"

pretty short list ;)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    We've been accused of communicating telepathically more than once.

I think it comes with our matching Rings of Protection +25.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Ohhhh let me guess, you both play Night Elves, and Lars dances around the AH for donations! :lmfao:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Oh, and yes, even at home, we are usually in different rooms. I can't stand all the noise he makes when he's on his puter. :D

Top Bottom