• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Read back through the posts. I’m talking about the guy’s gun getting jacked out of his truck.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying I'd disagree. The Father Son are no victims. We have all had something stolen but we dont go around days later shooting folks. The Son having a gun stolen has zero to do after the fact. And even a simple theft you are not legally allowed to use deadly force.

And them trying to claim fear of their life (which that phrase is way overplayed) isnt cutting it either because they put themselves there, they were in a perfectly good running vehicle and could have driven away. The kid tried to leave and they wouldn't let him. All that stuff is the cards that's going to get delivered by the Prosecutors.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying I'd disagree. The Father Son are no victims. We have all had something stolen but we dont go around days later shooting folks. The Son having a gun stolen has zero to do after the fact. And even a simple theft you are not legally allowed to use deadly force.

And them trying to claim fear of their life (which that phrase is way overplayed) isnt cutting it either because they put themselves there, they were in a perfectly good running vehicle and could have driven away. The kid tried to leave and they wouldn't let him. All that stuff is the cards that's going to get delivered by the Prosecutors.
    If they had something stolen from them, they are victims of theft. Whether that is a justification for some action or not does not change that fact.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The privileged of carrying a gun granted by the state can not be stripped away if it's stolen from my car. But, I have a lower expectation of it being in my care and custody. It's more about how much I value my gun and it's use. The same thing could be said about leaving my debit card in the visor. It will be misused if stolen, but I could have been more vigilant.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008

Huh? I'm not talking about the shooting. I'm talking about leaving firearms in vehicles in general. It's dumb. You shouldn't do it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I don't think there's a firearms trainer or self defense attorney in the country that would approve of this behavior or argue that it was within the bounds of the law. Now that it's escalated into a state case, I think these two are screwed. Easy manslaughter conviction, good chance at first degree murder.

Okimar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    Tampa
    The guy shouldn't have been trespassing and stealing from the house under construction and the others could have kept more of a distance. But, the one that ended up dead shouldn't have grabbed and pulled on the shotgun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If these guys get convicted or not, I wonder if they think it was worth it now.

I have a very simple metric for getting involved in any confrontation off duty: Is this worth getting into a shooting over? If I'm not willing to risk another shooting and all that it comes with, I'm better off being a witness or leaving. Active shooter in the orphanage playground? Worth getting into a shooting over. Sumdood trespassing/maybe stealing in a construction site? Not worth getting into a shooting over. I'm not willing to shoot or be shot over it. I'm not willing to go through grand jury over it. I'm not willing to be sued by survivors over it.

I have intervened off duty exactly once in modern memory. I saw a guy mask up (pre-COVIDs) on his way through a gun store parking lot where I'd just left the range and head toward the businesses next to it. I lost sight of him but thought he went into a specific business. I called 911 and went in to see if that's the one he went in. The clerk was wide-eyed and said he entered and was in the back. He came back up front with a blanket draped over his arm hiding his hand and I took him into custody at gun point. I did this as an off duty officer but in my jurisdiction after notifying my control center who I was, where I was, and what I was going which instantly made me "on duty" with all the city legal/FOP protections that come with that. Had I been in another state, I wouldn't even have done that much. I'd have set up shop across the street and watched to provide information to the real on duty guys who belong there to deal with.

Something else to think about, and one I don't know the answer to: Will any of those "CCW Insurance" type plans cover you if you go seek out the confrontation? The arrested parties did. They intentionally intercepted the "jogger". Nobody's life was at risk until they did so. They were not intervening in a forcible felony, there was no defense of a third party, there was AT BEST defense of property...maybe. Even if they had one of those plans, anyone want to put their money on the "insurance" ponying up under those circumstances? I wouldn't.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The guy shouldn't have been trespassing and stealing from the house under construction and the others could have kept more of a distance. But, the one that ended up dead shouldn't have grabbed and pulled on the shotgun.

I hadn't read that he stole anything. Got a link?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I figure that as a citizen you provide info to the police and that, barring the crime directly involving you, is about it. Cops go through a lot of training to be cops for a reason.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Last night my dog alerted me to a stranger outside. It was around 0230 so I grab my trusty Shield 45 and my 2000 lumens flashlight head outside instantly my dog charges toward the what i know now would be gas thief. She ran him down the drive and up the road a ways before i called her back. The siphoning hose was in my car with a 2 gallon gas can sitting beside it. (Local gas price is $1.79 a gallon I probably would have given him some if he had ask me.)
    I called the local sheriff department they dispatched a State Trooper who was unable to find the suspect but took the hose and gas can with him. I could have given chase but why? He was off property and no longer a threat. I have no business chasing after him as he left my property with no damage to person or property.

Top Bottom