• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This is actually a market in Indonesia. I’m sure Wuhan is no less disgusting, but this isn’t it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. And, frankly, it could be anywhere in...well, the entire world that isn't North America, Europe, and the highly industrialized parts of Asia. Notions of basic food safety, sanitation, or animal welfare are extremely new concepts in a historical context and most of the people living on this planet haven't caught up.

Bad practices plus insane overpopulation plus cultural obsession with eating ****ing everything equals a country that spawns pandemics every several years like clockwork.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why are folks surprised? You see the same in any other 3rd world country.

Because in places they don't talk about at cocktail parties they know this goes on but ignore it because to acknowledge it would require actually doing something.

Far easier to virtue signal on FB have direct CC payments to ASCAPA...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You are still looking for the pink unicorn?

I'm reading this in this thread, "This goes on in all sorts of places".

I didn't watch the video, but some one that did, is there proof it's actually Wuhan? And when was the video taken?
    Is a news source like NBC will roll Knob Creek footage and say it's Syria, then why expect something legit from FB?

As to your point, there's plenty of reputable news sources that has strong journalistic standards, as opposed to Facebook, which has less than zero. The thing about FB and Twitter is the more sensational, the more divisive the language, the better it does on those platforms.

To be honest, the I'm saying this now is because I was partially influenced by this this podcast I listened to yesterday.
    https://youarenotsosmart.com/2020/0...our-ability-to-reason-rationalize-and-recall/

Just know the source, and set the proper expectation, and process it appropriately.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As to your point, there's plenty of reputable news sources that has strong journalistic standards, as opposed to Facebook, which has less than zero. The thing about FB and Twitter is the more sensational, the more divisive the language, the better it does on those platforms.

Just know the source, and set the proper expectation, and process it appropriately.

Completely disagree that there are "plenty" of reputable news sources. "Journalistic standards" was always just a cover taught in journalism classes, that most don't even care to to use today. All humans have bias, that bias affects their journalistic output, all journalism must be viewed skeptically, some will be more reliable than others, but that can depend on topic.

We have even bigger reasons to question much of so called journalism today. We have mega conglomerates owning news divisions and using them to further their own interests.

Take the whole calling it "China virus" kerfuffle, the news divisions leading the charge are part of companies wanting into the Chinese market. Conflict of interest?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our oldest children who lived in China for years commented on this frequently. They were amazed at all the food just kept out in the open, for anyone to handle, insects everywhere. We still have a photo taken by our daughter in a village with a donkey head on a folding chair outside a shop. If you saw the head outside, you knew the rest of the donkey was inside for sale. They also noticed that there were almost no birds, rats or other small wildlife in Beijing and other large cities. No one passes up free protein there.

The best answer we got to "how do you tell a petting dog from an eating dog" was "it depends."

MANY years ago in a college class we discussed why so many flu and flu-like strains come from China, especially southern China. Mostly it's because they raise pigs and ducks together. Avian flu strains that humans are immune to infect the ducks. Pigs have flu receptors in common with birds and humans. Pigs pick up avian flu genes, which then mix with pig strains and result in a modified flu strain which can infect humans due to similar immune systems between pigs and humans. Our professor was sure it was only a matter of time until something serious resulted from this. May not be the case this time, but we're not done yet.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ehhh... I’m not going to look at the link in the OP. The one time I was over there, I didn’t see donkey heads or dog or cats on a stick but for us westerners not well acquainted with peasant food, it was an eye opener.

And the “Chinese food” there was nothing like what you’re used to here. Every bite was bones and/or gristle. (Except the fruit and beer...the beer was pretty good).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ehhh... I’m not going to look at the link in the OP. The one time I was over there, I didn’t see donkey heads or dog or cats on a stick but for us westerners not well acquainted with peasant food, it was an eye opener.

And the “Chinese food” there was nothing like what you’re used to here. Every bite was bones and/or gristle. (Except the fruit and beer...the beer was pretty good).

IKR? It's great!

I once heard that texture is a big component in Chinese cuisine - like eating a chicken foot and using your tongue and teeth to extract the gelatinous goo is enjoyable... at least to them.

I had hot pot, and one thing served with it was these huge prawns - alive, but with a skewer up their backside. A couple of minutes in the pot and they were delicious.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I had hot pot, and one thing served with it was these huge prawns - alive, but with a skewer up their backside. A couple of minutes in the pot and they were delicious.
    Our kids in China were told to avoid street food, but hey, they were young and immortal. They went up to a booth with live scorpions in a stick. Pick the one you want, and they put it in a deep fryer for 30 seconds, and you have a scorpion snack!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Our kids in China were told to avoid street food, but hey, they were young and immortal. They went up to a booth with live scorpions in a stick. Pick the one you want, and they put it in a deep fryer for 30 seconds, and you have a scorpion snack!

Yeah... that's a bit much even for me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We have guys who travel regularly to China on business. They say as long as you stay near or in the larger cities, the food is not only more recognizable but is very fresh. One of our guys who went for the first time was nervous about being able to eat while over there. Once he got there, he discovered he really liked the fruits and vegetables. And he lives in Franklin.:)

Now, they did say that once you get out in the country and less populated areas, all bets are off.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Showed dogs being butchered, using blow torches to burn the fur off the carcasses. Yum.

That's usually done long before the animal is killed, and before they're killed they're usually skinned.

China is full of warm and empathetic people.

P.S. It's not uncommon that street food "oil" is just raw sewage.
    If you think I'm joking, look up gutter oil.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    The people in that market looked pretty healthy to me. They most definitely looked healthier than obese slobs shuffling around in their slippers that seem to make up a majority of the shoppers I see in the supermarkets around here.

Who is really eating the repulsive, disgusting food and who is eating the good stuff?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The people in that market looked pretty healthy to me. They most definitely looked healthier than obese slobs shuffling around in their slippers that seem to make up a majority of the shoppers I see in the supermarkets around here.

Who is really eating the repulsive, disgusting food and who is eating the good stuff?

At least our slobs in Walmart are only hurting themselves, our markets haven't yet spawned a global pandemic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At least our slobs in Walmart are only hurting themselves, our markets haven't yet spawned a global pandemic.

It can be said that most of the recent flu bugs have been spawned in that 3rd world :poop: hole we call China. What new treats do we have in store from them in the near future.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

WTH are your kids in Chi-Com land?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The only problem I saw was how dull their knives were. Calling Brad!

Top Bottom