• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've been party to 2 instances (at my wife's insistence) of stopping to help a turtle cross the road. In one, we successfully saved the wee half-shelled dude. In the other, my wife was almost to it, when she watched a driver target lock onto the turtle, swerve and run it over right in front of her. It was REALLY upsetting to her.

I only brought it up, though, to point out that the notion of needlessly killing turtles (and apparently tortoises) is a thing.

Same here on both counts.

Funny story then a sad one. First, in my early 20s I was driving through southern indiana with two female friends in the car. I may have been dating #1 at the time, I dont recall. Anyway I see a turtle and pull over to go run back the 100 yards or so. Me and #1 saw it and knew what was going on. #2 was in the back seat and didnt see it, she just knew we stopped suddenly without warning in the middle of nowhere.

We get out and start running back. #2 follows us blindly and after about 50 feet says "why are we running?" I reply "TURTLE!!!!" and point ahead.

Next thing I know #2 is blowing past us in a full olympic speed sprint. :): We successfully rescue the turtle. On the drive back we asked #2 what happened. "Oh, I thought the car was on fire or something. Then you said it was a turtle..." So she found the rescue of a turtle more urgent than dying in a car fire. :facepalm:

Both ladies are still uber liberal bleeding heart animal lovers, to the point I dont talk to #1 hardly. We are FB friends but she has blocked my comments for having too many strong "controversial" gun, pro life, and pro liberty/freedom opinions so we dont talk much. Oh, and for LOTS of my negative reactions to her support for Bernie. :rolleyes: Girl #2 Im not sure what happened; I lost track of her a couple years after the turtle incident.

On the second, sad story, Im not sure its a turtle thing, or maybe just an a-hole thing, or people tending to drive toward what they are looking at. I was between 9 and 12 at the state fair many moons ago. While riding the shuttle, I dropped my bag of goodies in the street behind the grandstand. (rulers, pamphlets, samples, etc) No biggie, I got off at the next stop and walked back.

As I approached my bag, I could see it still laying in the middle of the street, unmolested. But before I could get it, I saw the jackwagon driving the next shuttle obviously swerve 3' to hit my bag with his tractor tires. :xmad:

As I recall I didnt have anything important and breakable in it yet, but it still annoyed me that he would go out of his way to run over my bag. That was a real d**k move.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe he didn't know it had an owner until she came and knocked on the door asking about her pet. Who knows? Some of the posts here make it sound like he tortured it to death and then wet his bed while playing with fire.

At least it wasn't a lion, and he didn't shoot it at a confederate monument while in the wrong bathroom after ordering a gay wedding cake. Then the outrage meter would explode.:):

It was worth reading the whole thread just for this post.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am fascinated that, among the calls for torture, SJW doxxing/mobbing, execution, etc., no one here appears to have an issue with the owner of an exotic pet letting it get loose.

Maybe it's because I spent a little bit of today reliving a child molest case from a while back, but in all honesty compared to the depravity that humans visit on each other and children in particular, what happens to people's pets who don't bother to keep them contained really doesn't peg my give-a-damn meter.
    I'm with you Fargo for the most part.
    I don't want to jack the thread, but I'd be very interested to know all of the previous respondents view on abortion.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If being mistaken or wrong is the same as being evil, I and damn near everybody around here has some serious problems.

Last I checked, the qualifications for being a sheep farmer didn't include exotic reptile identification. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this guy actually thought it was some sort of snapping turtle. If he really did take it to a taxidermy shop, that just reinforces the ignorant versus malicious angle.

I find to be more than a little bit of a leap of imagination that rural folks are just supposed to assume that reptiles wandering around on their property are people's pets.

I am more than a little troubled by a lynch mob mentality that a lot of people seem to have about this, especially when the facts that are out there at present are pretty damn few and far between.
    This.
    there are not many "facts" known to all that are ready to kill the guy.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    At this point, just a reason other than 'for the sheer hell of it' would be an improvement.

As for killing coyotes, my answer would be alpacas. I can also do without the deer as they carry meningeal worm, which will kill an alpaca.
    Well hell, we should kill all deer then.:draw::dunno:
    I don't know, but I'd bet there are many diseases some humans carry that could kill your precious (children) alpacas!? Maybe humans who get too close to alpacas should be exterminated?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    On the second, sad story, Im not sure its a turtle thing, or maybe just an a-hole thing, or people tending to drive toward what they are looking at. I was between 9 and 12 at the state fair many moons ago. While riding the shuttle, I dropped my bag of goodies in the street behind the grandstand. (rulers, pamphlets, samples, etc) No biggie, I got off at the next stop and walked back. As I approached my bag, I could see it still laying in the middle of the street, unmolested. But before I could get it, I saw the jackwagon driving the next shuttle obviously swerve 3' to hit my bag with his tractor tires. :xmad:As I recall I didnt have anything important and breakable in it yet, but it still annoyed me that he would go out of his way to run over my bag. That was a real d**k move.
    This is when my parenting skills are kinda questionable. When something like that would happen, my daughter would ask, "Mommy, why did they do that?", and my immediate response would be, "Because some people are *********s."

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wait.

Is a legitimate reason needed for *******ery?

If it isn't illegal, are we going to go around doxxing marriage-cheaters, elevator-farters, and line-cutters? Don't get me wrong, Marvel will probably have superhero movies involving just those kinds of things eventually, as they run out of aliens, demigods, and mutants.

This is a slippery slope, bordering on social justice warrioring, if we start going internet-nuclear on all ********.

While I guess the death penalty is probably off the table in our fluff society, I do think adultery should be an actual crime punishable by jail time. Elevator farts and line cutting deserve public shaming in the very least.
    This guy who shot the turtle is deffinately a piece of ****. If it was someone I knew, it would end the relationship

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    While I guess the death penalty is probably off the table in our fluff society, I do think adultery should be an actual crime punishable by jail time.
    You could have a point. There are plenty of cultures that make adultery a crime with significant punishment. Those societies don't seem to have trouble with divorce rates. Or freedom.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You could have a point. There are plenty of cultures that make adultery a crime with significant punishment. Those societies don't seem to have trouble with divorce rates. Or freedom.

You can have freedom and honor your oaths too. Politicians seem to be the main ones that have a problem in this department though. Honoring oaths I mean

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    With people thinking chocolate milk comes from brown cows it is not surprising that somebody might think any large turtle looking thing is a snapping turtle or a ninja master.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't quite understand why people want to complicate their live with animals to begin with (some in my own house), so I have a hard time getting exercised enough to want to see violence done to the man, but then again I thought spending federal dollars to imprison Michael Vick was a waste of time and money.

That said, I'm not a fan of cruelty and killing for the sake of jollies, I just think that something less than complete outrage is more appropriate. Cecil the lion showed me a weird, angry focus on triviality that left a really bad taste in my mouth.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    While I guess the death penalty is probably off the table in our fluff society, I do think adultery should be an actual crime punishable by jail time. Elevator farts and line cutting deserve public shaming in the very least.
    This guy who shot the turtle is deffinately a piece of ****. If it was someone I knew, it would end the relationship

I've always thought that an under-considered factor for penalties is the extent to which the perpetrator went in committing the crime.

Stealing a person's identity doesn't seem as bad as killing them, but there are a lot of ways you might kill the person by accident, while stealing their identity takes a good bit of work, and I've always thought that fact should bump up the penalty more than it seems to.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    WOW!!!
    some of you guys sound like the extreme far left wackos.

Well hell, we should kill all deer then.:draw::dunno:
    I don't know, but I'd bet there are many diseases some humans carry that could kill your precious (children) alpacas!? Maybe humans who get too close to alpacas should be exterminated?

Who sh*t in your Cheerios this morning?

Top Bottom