• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I EDC a Streamlite 1AA with 70 lumens and a strobe feature. It seems like enough to ID someone and there always seems to be enough ambient light to line up night sights on a silhouette. Part of my choosing 70 lumens is because it's also a GP light and it's small enough to need yet another mag-pouch on my belt.

Those of you who carry hand-held search lights (just being descriptive, no snark intended) what situations do you see yourselves needing the extra lumens?

70 lumens in the pocket is better than 800 on the nightstand. I too compromise with an 80 lumen model.
    https://www.amazon.com/Coast-Univer...UTF8&qid=1528924835&sr=8-1&keywords=coast+hp2

Works well and I even shook it out and put it through its paces in one of Coach's night shoots. Did I want more light? Yep. Did it work well enough under 25 yards? Absolutely! And if you think you NEED 300+ to blind somebody, go stand outside in the dark for 15 minutes then have somebody shine 70 or 80 in your face from 25'. It wont be painful but you wont be able to see very well.

I like that it is small and easy to carry and is small enough to never notice.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    70 lumens in the pocket is better than 800 on the nightstand. I too compromise with an 80 lumen model.
    https://www.amazon.com/Coast-Univer...UTF8&qid=1528924835&sr=8-1&keywords=coast+hp2

Works well and I even shook it out and put it through its paces in one of Coach's night shoots. Did I want more light? Yep. Did it work well enough under 25 yards? Absolutely! And if you think you NEED 300+ to blind somebody, go stand outside in the dark for 15 minutes then have somebody shine 70 or 80 in your face from 25'. It wont be painful but you wont be able to see very well.

I like that it is small and easy to carry and is small enough to never notice.

Just saying 300+ lumens for the job done. Also the size of the Surefire is small enough that it is carried daily with out issue.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just saying 300+ lumens for the job done. Also the size of the Surefire is small enough that it is carried daily with out issue.

I forgot to mention I'm prone to losing stuff too. So a $25 light is preferable to a $100+ light.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For the record, I'm not dissing anyone willing to carry an expensive, sizeable, extra bright taclight. More power to you. If it works for you, great. I just like to point out that its not an either/or decision; Its OK to carry a 100lm light. A threat isnt going to laugh heartily at the weaker light. I'm confident ANY reasonable light used in the OPs situation would have done a hard reset on their OODA loop because that is just not what they expected and had no idea how to process that challenge. OP could have screamed like a banshee and de-pantsed and got the same reaction. "holy crap, the victim isnt supposed to do THAT. I dont know what to do except run because this aint right. I dont know what to do here."

And for the record, when I know I'm going to be taking a night walk/hike, I grab my 300lm LuxPro thats about the size of 2 1/2C batteries. I just dont EDC anything as big because it gets in the way.

Oh, and the other reason I dont carry a monster torch; DAILY I use my light as an inspection light. I have trouble seeing details in low light/low contrast so adding more light helps me read fine print, etc. 300lm@12" just blinds you for 10 minutes. :): Sso my weak-sauce light is used regularly for mundane tasks. So my decision is partly pedestrian in nature.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    You carry that in your pocket?!

No, he's just glad to see you. ;)

Seriously though, stories like the OP's are good for me to see, since I rarely carry a light, and when I do, it's a cheap one, and I don't even carry my gun most places that I could. You don't need either until you do, and like the thread title, then it might be too late.

Top Bottom