• ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hello!

I've been thinking a lot about picking up a suppressor. I've largely avoided it due to the hassle of jumping through all of the hoops but having gotten older and more patient - I think I'm going to pick one up.

I'm going to do some reading in here to try and get a feel for the process - but honestly - I'm not sure how to actually go about acquiring one. Do I just need to find a local dealer that has one in stock or is it something I can order and have shipped to an FFL? Is there a central Indiana dealer that you can recommend?

I know that I have to apply for the "tax stamp"/"permission" and then wait an extended period of time - which is what it is. That said I'm not sure what comes first.

I have my eye on a couple of specific suppressors but I'm not sure really how it all works. I'm wanting to suppress my Sig p226 9mm and would like to retain the function of my stock sights. There are a couple of narrower suppressors I believe that will work for this purpose.

I'm sure most of my questions are probably addressed in threads here already / FAQ / etc so I apologize for an extra thread - but I haven't had a chance to review it all as of yet. I just wanted to go ahead and make a thread while I was thinking about it.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    They're like potato chips. Can't have just 1. You've been warned.

Pick one you want. Order online or buy in store. Pay the money to the store. You now own the item. But...you can't take it home with you.

Fill out the paperwork with associated fingerprints and mug shot. Some dealers make that process easier than others. Beech Grove Firearms does fingerprints in the store, for example. If there is a Silencershop kiosk that makes the process really easy.

Sounds like a lot more work than it really is.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Forgot to mention...

My stamps are individual to me. Some people choose to have a trust own the item(s) with various family/whoever on the trust. Everyone has their own reasons why their choice is best. That's up to you to decide.

Also, fyi, the suppressor is the serial numbered item. Once in hand, it can swap between various guns. I only mention this because I saw the question come up in another thread.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    When it comes to buying online - would that just ship to an FFL for them to hold onto while I wait on the tax stamp?

I will have to look into the whole trust thing. I would like to avoid complications should I pass if possible so that it could stay in the family.

It's really too bad that these are controlled like they are. It's too bad Hollywood has given everyone the perception that they make guns whisper quiet.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    When it comes to buying online - would that just ship to an FFL for them to hold onto while I wait on the tax stamp?

I will have to look into the whole trust thing. I would like to avoid complications should I pass if possible so that it could stay in the family.

It's really too bad that these are controlled like they are. It's too bad Hollywood has given everyone the perception that they make guns whisper quiet.
    Essentially, yes. FFL would have to have the proper license to sell suppressors, and from what I've heard usually charge a higher transfer fee that what they charge for a gun.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I would make SURE that you can service it yourself.(take it apart for cleaning)
    Yup - that's one of the big considerations. I want to be able to service it myself.

I'm still researching / learning as much as I can about this. Having never owned one before with as long as it will take to get it and how much it'll cost I don't want to buy one and wish I had gotten something different.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Tagging as I was the one that asked about moving it between firearms.

I'd like to learn more about the trust option. Why do it? What is different than not doing it?

I never considered one until I recently have really gotten into .22 shooting and bought a nice pistol that I'm having a blast with. That coupled with a 15-22 that I also really enjoy shooting, a suppressor would be icing on the cake.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I never considered one until I recently have really gotten into .22 shooting and bought a nice pistol that I'm having a blast with. That coupled with a 15-22 that I also really enjoy shooting, a suppressor would be icing on the cake.
    Rimfire suppressors are so much fun. I started with a centerfire rifle suppressor, and then bought a rimfire can. I wish I would have done it the other way around.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Tagging as I was the one that asked about moving it between firearms.

I'd like to learn more about the trust option. Why do it? What is different than not doing it?

Trust: you can have wife/kids/friend/whoever on the trust. Because the trust owns the item, any of the trustees can have the item in their possession at the range/their house/whatever. If you end up wanting another suppressor or SBR or anything else requiring a tax stamp, everyone on the trust needs to submit fingerprints and photos for the additional stamp(s). You could also do a trust with only you as the trustee and add more people later if you want.

Individual: only you are allowed to have access to the item(s). Other people can use the item, but only if you're present. If you decide later on to get more stamps it's just you to do the paperwork and everything.

I chose Individual because my wife has no interest and my kids are little. As they grow, we can go to the range together but I don't necessarily want them to take my NFA stuff out without me. So, eventually when I die, I can leave my stuff to them and they don't have to pay the tax for an inherited item.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Can someone else use the can if you are there, but not RIGHT there? I'm thinking of hunting. We are near one another in the same woods, though not right next to one another.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Suppressors are just what the name implies. Subsonic ammo from a blow back action still makes some noise but hi speed stuff still gives you the crack associated with breaking the sound barrier. Out of a bolt action or closed breech single shot, subsonic ammo is VERY quiet.
    I'll have to do some more research before I pull the trigger. I imagine that semi-autos could have some cycling issues with lower power rounds and if I still need earpro with HV rounds, I'm not sure it's for me.

This is from the other conversation. I thought I'd try to "move it" to this thread.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Can someone else use the can if you are there, but not RIGHT there? I'm thinking of hunting. We are near one another in the same woods, though not right next to one another.
    Gray area...not well defined. Just like the rest of the stupid NFA rules.

Fyi - good information here:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'll have to do some more research before I pull the trigger. I imagine that semi-autos could have some cycling issues with lower power rounds and if I still need earpro with HV rounds, I'm not sure it's for me.

This is from the other conversation. I thought I'd try to "move it" to this thread.
    I got in to the suppressor game originally for hunting. 12g shot on a deer with no ear pro left my ears ringing. Switched to .308 and a SilencerCo Hybrid - 1 shot, no ear pro, no ringing.

I can shoot other guns with no ear pro with a can, but not a lot of shots. Still wear my ear pro when just out shooting.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Rimfire suppressors are so much fun. I started with a centerfire rifle suppressor, and then bought a rimfire can. I wish I would have done it the other way around.
    Agreed. My rimfire gets used a LOT more than my others. I only have one .22lr that does not have a threaded barrel.

I would also recommend a rimfire first.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

That is going to depend upon what exactly you are trying to suppress.

My AR, for instance, is borderline tolerable with my Omega 300, which is a .30 cal suppressor.

With my 6.5 Creedmore, it is definitely uncomfortable.

I primarily use it on my 300BO pistol. With Subsonic bullets, you do not need earpro at all.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011

From personal experience, no ear pro needed with 22lr. Standard velocity out of a pistol is stupid quiet, sounds like a staple gun. I have 2 Taurus TX22's that have no issues shooting supressed even with cheap ammo. Obviously the host gun can effect that, more so with handguns, but with a semi-auto rifle I would imagine no issues would be present.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That is going to depend upon what exactly you are trying to suppress.

My AR, for instance, is borderline tolerable with my Omega 300, which is a .30 cal suppressor.

With my 6.5 Creedmore, it is definitely uncomfortable.

I primarily use it on my 300BO pistol. With Subsonic bullets, you do not need earpro at all.

Top Bottom