• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    From personal experience, no ear pro needed with 22lr. Standard velocity out of a pistol is stupid quiet, sounds like a staple gun. I have 2 Taurus TX22's that have no issues shooting supressed even with cheap ammo. Obviously the host gun can effect that, more so with handguns, but with a semi-auto rifle I would imagine no issues would be present.
    My pistol is the TX22, comp model

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    My pistol is the TX22, comp model
    I have both the standard and comp model, both run a supressor just fine with cheap ammo, and no earpro needed. I do try and run copper plated nose when I shoot it supressed, hoping to reduce any potential lead fouling.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Can someone else use the can if you are there, but not RIGHT there? I'm thinking of hunting. We are near one another in the same woods, though not right next to one another.
    Personally - I wouldn't risk it. While it's unlikely the ATF will roll up on the person with the can and ask questions out in the woods... But if it happened and you weren't right there... It could be bad.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have been wanting to get a couple for awhile. But just never got started and my LGS never seemed all that interested in helping me.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    For central Indiana, I recommend Parabellum Firearms. They are a Silencershop dealer so you can order any silencer from silencershop.com and have it sent to Parabellum for free. Parabellum has an indoor range and they allow you to shoot your silencer at their range while you wait the roughly 260 days for approval. Parabellum also has the fingerprint kiosk that helps make the process easier.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    For central Indiana, I recommend Parabellum Firearms. They are a Silencershop dealer so you can order any silencer from silencershop.com and have it sent to Parabellum for free. Parabellum has an indoor range and they allow you to shoot your silencer at their range while you wait the roughly 260 days for approval. Parabellum also has the fingerprint kiosk that helps make the process easier.
    I’ve just recently started shooting at Parabellum. Nice people.

I’ll have to talk to them about it next time I’m there.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I’ve just recently started shooting at Parabellum. Nice people.

I’ll have to talk to them about it next time I’m there.
    If you want to meet at Parabellum sometime, you can try my Obsidian 9 on your 226. The pistol cans look cool, but aren't very useful since they can only be used in very specific holsters. They also add 8" in length, so the balance is thrown off and it reduces maneuverability. I have some rimfire and rifle cans I can bring too.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Hello!

I've been thinking a lot about picking up a suppressor. I've largely avoided it due to the hassle of jumping through all of the hoops but having gotten older and more patient - I think I'm going to pick one up.

I'm going to do some reading in here to try and get a feel for the process - but honestly - I'm not sure how to actually go about acquiring one. Do I just need to find a local dealer that has one in stock or is it something I can order and have shipped to an FFL? Is there a central Indiana dealer that you can recommend?

I know that I have to apply for the "tax stamp"/"permission" and then wait an extended period of time - which is what it is. That said I'm not sure what comes first.

I have my eye on a couple of specific suppressors but I'm not sure really how it all works. I'm wanting to suppress my Sig p226 9mm and would like to retain the function of my stock sights. There are a couple of narrower suppressors I believe that will work for this purpose.

I'm sure most of my questions are probably addressed in threads here already / FAQ / etc so I apologize for an extra thread - but I haven't had a chance to review it all as of yet. I just wanted to go ahead and make a thread while I was thinking about it.
    I'm a dealer about 45 minutes from you down in Brown County. There's a lot of good information / opinions on this thread, so if you have other questions, feel free to PM me directly. I can order just about any manufacturer you find yourself looking at, and I'm also happy to help you get your fingerprints done if you're not filing through an online manufacturer. I'm a dealer through Silencer Shop, Silencer Co, Q, Yankee Hill, AAC, and several others.

Whitetail Trading Co. was already suggested in this thread. That's me, so holler if I can help in any way.

Last edited:

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    I want to buy one also BUT with my luck, I'll dish out 600 bills and this forking administration will ban them and then I'm out the bucks. Worry wart LOL

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I want to buy one also BUT with my luck, I'll dish out 600 bills and this forking administration will ban them and then I'm out the bucks. Worry wart LOL
    Well, like usual I have talked myself out of getting one. That's just how I roll. I get excited and start the process of thinking about opportunity costs, budgets, use, etc.

I don't think I would be happy in the long run considering I would still need earpro; if not because my guns will still be loud enough to warrant it, but I'd need to wear it when others are at the range.

I'll spend the money on ammo.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm a dealer about 45 minutes from you down in Brown County. There's a lot of good information / opinions on this thread, so if you have other questions, feel free to PM me directly. I can order just about any manufacturer you find yourself looking at, and I'm also happy to help you get your fingerprints done if you're not filing through an online manufacturer. I'm a dealer through Silencer Shop, Silencer Co, Q, Yankee Hill, AAC, and several others.

Whitetail Trading Co. was already suggested in this thread. That's me, so holler if I can help in any way.
    At this point I’m honestly trying to decide if I want to put different sights on my p226 or if I want to get a new firearm with a red dot and higher sights to silence.

I’m sure I’m going to be picking up a silencer it’s just a matter of which one.

From what I understand it’s mostly the rifle models that are serviceable where as the pistol models tend not to be.

My issue right now is that I’ve never had a pistol with a red dot so I’m not sure how to go about that.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    At this point I’m honestly trying to decide if I want to put different sights on my p226 or if I want to get a new firearm with a red dot and higher sights to silence.

I’m sure I’m going to be picking up a silencer it’s just a matter of which one.

From what I understand it’s mostly the rifle models that are serviceable where as the pistol models tend not to be.

My issue right now is that I’ve never had a pistol with a red dot so I’m not sure how to go about that.

Normally rimfire and handgun silencers are user serviceable (come apart). Rifle silencers are typically fully welded and cant be cleaned. You dont have to change the sights with a silencer. You could also get something like the Osprey 9 or Osprey 45 which wont block your sights. The P226 is one of the best handguns for suppressed shooting due to the longer barrel unlocking time compared to something like a Glock. You can always get your P226 milled to accept a red dot as well.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Normally rimfire and handgun silencers are user serviceable (come apart). Rifle silencers are typically fully welded and cant be cleaned. You dont have to change the sights with a silencer. You could also get something like the Osprey 9 or Osprey 45 which wont block your sights. The P226 is one of the best handguns for suppressed shooting due to the longer barrel unlocking time compared to something like a Glock. You can always get your P226 milled to accept a red dot as well.
    I think I’m more inclined to get a new slide for the p226 and installing the dot and higher sights on that. That way I can swap back to non-silenced with normal sights to carry it if I want to.

I have no idea who to trust though when it comes to milling a slide. I’ve never had such a thing done.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    The only pistol I currently suppress is a CZ P09. I have stock sights and just use the round top of the can to get close to the target. It's a range toy and not precision for me anyway. Works well enough to ring steel.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    Would be more than happy to help. I have gone threw it trust and individual. I have bought online and off. Reach out if you need help. But be warned it’s an addiction. I like having a NFA item in jail. Always gives me something to look forward to. With e-file it’s easy to check status, and then with all the tracking web sites it makes it fun.

Top Bottom