• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Never had a handgun do it but did have a Mauser blow up on me posted some pics here . Scared the crap out of me some power burns to the arm,hand and alittle bloody face just glad I had my glasses on .

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    i think this was a g22. the older ones had a problem that the chamber wasnt fully supported and they would fatigue easy and kaboom or it could have been a dbl charged round

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I thought all this crazyness had been put to rest.

Yes, there have been some Glocks, most commonly in .40 that have blown up. The reason that it is almost exclusive to .40s is that the barrels are unsupported. That fact coupled with most .40 loadings being high on the pressure scale, somethings gotta give. This is not to say that Glocks are prone to blowing up. I have seen multiple Glocks and a number of other makes and models go kaboom. I have known 4 people that blew Glocks up and everyone was totally unhurt.

Poor ammunition is often the culprit as previously stated. Shooting lead bullets in a Glock will NOT blow it up. I have shot tens of thousands of lead bullets and reloads through Glocks, both clean and filthy dirty and that is not what hurts them. Lead fouling in the barrel can cause accuracy problems, but the amount of lead fouling you would need to increase pressure to the point it explodes, is so high that before you reached that point, the bullets being fired would be pushing lead fouling out the barrel.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Keep in mind that it isnt "common" to .40's. The percentage of guns that blow up is very very very low. If it still bothers you, drop $100 and buy a barrel from any aftermarket supplier. All the major barrel makers (Lone Wolf, Barsto, KKM....) all make fully supported barrels.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Keep in mind that it isnt "common" to .40's. The percentage of guns that blow up is very very very low. If it still bothers you, drop $100 and buy a barrel from any aftermarket supplier. All the major barrel makers (Lone Wolf, Barsto, KKM....) all make fully supported barrels.

+1 on Lone Wolf. I have one of their replacement barrels in my G21 and it works great. Lone Wolf Distributors - Welcome

KevinH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just sent a Lone Wolf barrel back today for my G19. My armorer suggested it so I bought it. Found that the chamber was bored too deep and the ejector wouldn't grab. This is from the latest engineering change due to, according to LWD, the new powders used that burn so fast the slide couldn't function properly. Might have been trying to get too much production at the expense of quality. They were gracious and are taking the barrel back. I'm buying a stock barrel. I don't shoot bare lead anyway. I think all of the common sense observations are great. Guns are machines made by humans. Therfore, they can fail at any time. That's why we wear safety glasses!

Kevin.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    It's usually caused by an improperly loaded cartridge (reloads). Too much chamber pressure is the cause of the failure, but there are many things that can cause too much chamber pressure. Wrong amount of powder, too short of an OAL, bullet stuck in the barrel with a round fired behind it, etc.
    That was the cause of the most spectacular one I ever saw. 8.0 grains of Red Dot in a .45 USP.

Turned it into a mighty messed up paperweight.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    How come when a Glock blows up no one puts pictures of guns, like the Kel-tec 380 that has the slide break just from shooting?

There is a heated debate(fight?) between the Glocks and the 1911's. Whenever someone can point out where one has failed, they do. Kel-tecs don't have a bunch of people actively hating them, so nobody is constantly reposts pics of them failing.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    This concerned me too at first but in the end I still bought a Glock 23. I'm not going to reload, I'm not going to shoot lead, and I am going to clean it after each time at the range. Plus I got a 3rd generation and supposedly they added more support.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom