• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    What are you looking for before you pit them? What are you trying to accomplish to keep them from spinning out and taking off again?

I look for open road where I have enough room to perform the PIT and not hit anything else with my vehicle. Neighborhood streets are pretty much a no-go. I also have to consider the type and size of vehicle and whether or not my Crown Vic will push it around.

I did the PIT on this chase: Police identify men involved in robbery, police action shooting | Fox 59 It was the 90s Buick that quit after it spun and hit the retaining wall on the side of the interstate.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I look for open road where I have enough room to perform the PIT and not hit anything else with my vehicle. Neighborhood streets are pretty much a no-go. I also have to consider the type and size of vehicle and whether or not my Crown Vic will push it around.

I did the PIT on this chase: Police identify men involved in robbery, police action shooting | Fox 59 It was the 90s Buick that quit after it spun and hit the retaining wall on the side of the interstate.
    An officer trained in chase intervention used his skills to strategically hit the suspect vehicle, bringing it to a stop.
    Nice work Frank. :yesway:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    This is why, when I ALWAYS outrun the cops, I drive backwards... So I can keep an eye on the officers at all times

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This is why, when I ALWAYS outrun the cops, I drive backwards... So I can keep an eye on the officers at all times

That's a good technique.
    I'm not worried about cops stopping me with a PIT maneuver ... for that technique they need to hit the rear of the vehicle ... and I built that car that has no rear.

:D

Two-Sided-Car-3144.jpg

I would like to see Frank try a PIT on that. :dunno:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That's a good technique.
    I'm not worried about cops stopping me with a PIT maneuver ... for that technique they need to hit the rear of the vehicle ... and I built that car that has no rear.

:D

Two-Sided-Car-3144.jpg

I would like to see Frank try a PIT on that. :dunno:
    Does your twin man the wheel on the other half of the car so you can keep on truckin' without pause? :dunno:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I also have to consider the type and size of vehicle and whether or not my Crown Vic will push it around.

Size of the vehicle? Wimp.
    [video=youtube;NTEEWEXGeFE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTEEWEXGeFE[/video]

I have done a PIT on a 90s Buick and a 90s Ford Ranger and both were immobilized when the fuel pump cut off when they spun 180 degrees. Did a PIT on a mid-2000s Toyota Camry and the guy kept driving because the fuel pump didn't shut off. It was immobilized after the second PIT when he landed upside down on the bank of a creek....

Dang man. How often do you pit someone? Do you do it for taillights out, left lane camping(I approve if so), just for fun? ;)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Size of the vehicle? Wimp.
    [video=youtube;NTEEWEXGeFE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTEEWEXGeFE[/video]

Dang man. How often do you pit someone? Do you do it for taillights out, left lane camping(I approve if so), just for fun? ;)

That school bus was on the rims, so spinning it was easier. My car sits too low and would have gone under the bus.

We PIT during chases, no matter the initial reason for the stop. Its been almost 2 years since I have done one, but I still offer my services during chases. I have seriously considered doing it during normal driving for a variety of reasons, left lane camping being one.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That school bus was on the rims, so spinning it was easier. My car sits too low and would have gone under the bus.

We PIT during chases, no matter the initial reason for the stop. Its been almost 2 years since I have done one, but I still offer my services during chases. I have seriously considered doing it during normal driving for a variety of reasons, left lane camping being one.

I hope you know I'm just poking fun.
    I understand and the car that tried several times before the SUV couldn't get it done. Do you think the SUV could have done it, if it wasn't on the rims? Serious question.

I also know you PIT when needed, not when unnecessary. Another joke.
    And could you teach me how to properly perform one? No particular reason:whistle:.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Is the PIT really that hard to perform? Looks easy...

Lots of things that look easy aren't. At least not to do it correctly. I could possibly do one, but not correctly and thus damage my car more than a bit of paint or light cover. And other problems. Done right not much damage from it on either car. Done wrong damage to both.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I hope you know I'm just poking fun.
    I understand and the car that tried several times before the SUV couldn't get it done. Do you think the SUV could have done it, if it wasn't on the rims? Serious question.

I also know you PIT when needed, not when unnecessary. Another joke.
    And could you teach me how to properly perform one? No particular reason:whistle:.

I know. I don't think the Tahoe could have done it with the tires on the bus still intact. Unless the pavement was wet.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Never had the opportunity to actually "learn" the PIT. But, I have used the technique a few times to turn a car in retaliation on a track or two....been on the recieving end too. Good times
    Rubbin's racin' lol

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I know. I don't think the Tahoe could have done it with the tires on the bus still intact. Unless the pavement was wet.

Thanks much, but another question if you would. Wouldn't the wet pavement effect the Tahoe as well? Or not as much/not as important as the vehicle they are trying to PIT?

You have to practice it to get the timing right. You have to match your speed with the fleeing vehicle and actually make contact lightly before attempting the spin. With practice, it isn't that difficult.

I thought there was a couple of other things to take into consideration. Pavement conditions, size of both vehicles, speed, etc.

Never had the opportunity to actually "learn" the PIT. But, I have used the technique a few times to turn a car in retaliation on a track or two....been on the recieving end too. Good times
    Rubbin's racin' lol

That's where the idea of the PIT maneuver as it is now known and taught originally came from.

Top Bottom