• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Thanks much, but another question if you would. Wouldn't the wet pavement effect the Tahoe as well? Or not as much/not as important as the vehicle they are trying to PIT?

In my opinion, it isn't as important for the PITing vehicle as it is for the PITed vehicle, at least while the PIT is being executed. You want the rear end of the PITed vehicle to break loose and spin out. The PITing officer has to be very careful once the PIT has been executed so that he or she doesn't end up crashing as well.

I thought there was a couple of other things to take into consideration. Pavement conditions, size of both vehicles, speed, etc.

They are all taken into consideration to a degree. Size of both vehicles and speed are two of the most important. Like I said before, I have to consider what I think my Crown Vic can push. And the higher the speed, the more dangerous it gets. There is a recommended maximum speed for a PIT being attempted, which I think is 55 mph with IMPD.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Thanks much and repped.

ETA
    They are all taken into consideration to a degree. Size of both vehicles and speed are two of the most important. Like I said before, I have to consider what I think my Crown Vic can push. And the higher the speed, the more dangerous it gets. There is a recommended maximum speed for a PIT being attempted, which I think is 55 mph with IMPD.

To clarify I wasn't necessarily referring to whether the PIT was able/safe to perform. I was also/more referring to when it was actually done. How hard to push in and accelerate when doing so, etc. I think and correct me if I'm wrong PITting a Prius is different than a F150 which is different than a '71 Olds 98 along with the various other factors mentioned in how hard you turn in and speed up.

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Thanks much and repped.

ETA

To clarify I wasn't necessarily referring to whether the PIT was able/safe to perform. I was also/more referring to when it was actually done. How hard to push in and accelerate when doing so, etc. I think and correct me if I'm wrong PITting a Prius is different than a F150 which is different than a '71 Olds 98 along with the various other factors mentioned in how hard you turn in and speed up.

Yep

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    In the area I work the chases are high speed affairs on wide open roads for the most part. Speeds way to fast for a safe PIT. We are limited by policy to a max speed of 40 mph for your average pursuit.

This thing looks like it could be a viable option depending on its reliability, cost, complexity, weight and other factors. Worth keeping in mind is a properly conducted PIT does minimal damage to the patrol car. In other words it does not end up being a costly action unless something goes bad wrong ( All things considered You do not Ram the fleeing vehicle). If this new device is costly it will probably not see wide spread use. IMO the idea is to have it be effective and reasonably priced. If every other car does not have them then the cars that do will never be in position to assist,you know Murphy's law. I can also see a pumped up super excitable rookie deploying this thing by accident and mowing down scores of people waiting for the metro bus.

It is good the we have people looking for a better way.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom