• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Was just taking apart my new AR and this is what happened.

20130324_174627.jpg

The pins were pretty tight in there. There are 30 rounds through it so should be from shooting stress. Guess I will start saving for a real lower. And maybe get ahold of ATI to see if they will send me a replacement.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I would definetly call and see if they can do something about that. Even for a polymer lower 30 rounds shouldnt be near enough to crack it. Thats definetly a manufacturer error. Hope they fix it for you

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I am not claiming that you did any thing wrong. I am just asking did you drop or were you rough with the rifle? My son used one of them and he runs and jumps and uses his rifle to catch himself with. When he rolls in the dirt falls he uses his rifle like I use my hands. He has had no problems with his. I would guess that it was a problem with the casting.

Isn't a Glock made out of the same stuff? Look at the abuse they'll take. I have seen pictures of aluminum lowers brake in the same place.

I would think that they would take care of this.

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Ouch. Hopefully, you'll get it straightened out (the situation/replacement. Not the lower physically because it's toast.) If you don't mind me asking, what caliber were you shooting?

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I am not claiming that you did any thing wrong. I am just asking did you drop or were you rough with the rifle? My son used one of them and he runs and jumps and uses his rifle to catch himself with. When he rolls in the dirt falls he uses his rifle like I use my hands. He has had no problems with his. I would guess that it was a problem with the casting.

Isn't a Glock made out of the same stuff? Look at the abuse they'll take. I have seen pictures of aluminum lowers brake in the same place.

I would think that they would take care of this.

Was very easy on the rifle. It has only 30 rounds on it.

Ouch. Hopefully, you'll get it straightened out (the situation/replacement. Not the lower physically because it's toast.) If you don't mind me asking, what caliber were you shooting?

I will be calling ATI tomorrow. Was on their website and the first FAQ was if something broke what to do, and their response was to call them. It is a 5.56 rifle.

How were you taking it apart? Do you mean just removing the upper or were you taking the pin out?

I was just taking the upper off of the lower. I will admit that I should have supported the rifle better when I was driving the pin out. Both of the pins were pretty tight but I didn't want to ream the hole out any as I didn't want to mess up the upper to lower fit.

ModernS30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Camby, Indiana
    I see your frustration, but please do not completely rule out polymer. I have heard nothing but bad things about the ATI lowers, I am surprised it even fit on an upper.

I do not have enough experience with my lower just yet to say it is a sure thing, and I certainly don't have any rough condition or battle running on it. From the very limited number of rounds (90) through my New Frontier lower, and a couple different times snapping it onto uppers, two different ones, I really like the thing. I've got one that is completely polymer, with the accu-whatever the heck lower parts kit. The trigger is pretty nice for being such a cheap lower. Everything seems to be pretty solid.

My only complaint is that the take down pins are also polymer. That doesn't seem like the strongest thing, but I am going to run them until they show signs of breaking, if they ever do.

I believe that the current ATI lowers (Maybe the same for the New Frontier, but I haven't seen as many of them floating around.) are being over produced. The speed of manufacture has lost all care about quality control. The correct chemical mixes for the polymer, and the correct tolerances. These things are very important. Polymer is a more than capable material, and it should not be under-estimated.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Poly sucks. To many variables and things such as what the OP has had happen.
    Give me the real deal Neal......You get what you pay for and that is only my personal opinion. Yeah, I am old school.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't let ATI push you around. They're fond of just ignoring customer complaints.

I am 2-1/2 YEARS into a dispute with ATI over a P.O.S. AR15 upper in .410ga. that they sold. It took me filing a complaint with the BBB before they would answer my contact attempts. My situation is still unresolved.
    ATI has promised to replace my upper, but have yet to do so.

I tell anyone who will listen to me,
    RUN AWAY FROM ATI!

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I just got off the phone with ATI costumer service. Treated me pretty good. I am sending my lower in and they will fix or replace it. Then will pay up to $25 for a FFL fee.I will be shipping it in sometime this week.

Top Bottom