This minor thing is starting to work my nerves. Gun safety.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've posed for lots of gun pics, but I was in the military. It wasn't specifically about taking gun pics, it was about buddies, but of course we'd usually have guns. I should go find them pics, and see where our fingers were. :):

fingers.jpg

finger2.png

kju-paektusan-pistols-guns-war-anniv-jul27-rodong-7zoom.jpg

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    For ****s sake. Of all the things to argue about...

Did the 9/40/45 thread(s) all get locked?
    No more Wuhan Flu / Masks?
    Everyone has all the ammo & reloading supplies they could ever want from their stimulus checks?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If action was imminent, your finger would be on the trigger. If action isn't imminent, why do we even need to see your hand on the gun? Take a pretty picture of it laying on a table. Really don't need to see your hand to admire the gun. :):

Well when perusing the Woman with Guns IV thread on INGO I like to fantasize that action is imminent, it enhances my admiration... of the gun.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    [QUOTE=Sigblaster;8404382]It seems everyone is SO concerned with demonstrating their "Gun Safety Awareness" that they must contort their hands into the same unnatural trendster grip that everyone else uses to "Safety Signal".

You know what I mean. That photo op with the trigger finger stuck straight out along the side of a gun above the trigger. It sometimes appears that they are striving to angle that finger so high above the trigger, that they risk joint dislocation and tearing of tendons or ligaments or whatnot.

Look, if you have time to smile and pose with your weapon, chances are that the apocalypse is not immediately upon you. You don't need to keep your finger THAT ready. Go ahead and drop that finger below the trigger guard on your AR, on the pistol grip of the weapon where it normally hangs out when you're actually patrolling. If your handgun is out of its holster, you can also keep your finger below the trigger guard for your facebook pics. If action was imminent, your finger would be on the trigger. If action isn't imminent, why do we even need to see your hand on the gun? Take a pretty picture of it laying on a table. Really don't need to see your hand to admire the gun.
    :):[/QUOTE]

IFIFY...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It seems everyone is SO concerned with demonstrating their "Gun Safety Awareness" that they must contort their hands into the same unnatural trendster grip that everyone else uses to "Safety Signal".

You know what I mean. That photo op with the trigger finger stuck straight out along the side of a gun above the trigger. It sometimes appears that they are striving to angle that finger so high above the trigger, that they risk joint dislocation and tearing of tendons or ligaments or whatnot.

Look, if you have time to smile and pose with your weapon, chances are that the apocalypse is not immediately upon you. You don't need to keep your finger THAT ready. Go ahead and drop that finger below the trigger guard on your AR, on the pistol grip of the weapon where it normally hangs out when you're actually patrolling. If your handgun is out of its holster, you can also keep your finger below the trigger guard for your facebook pics. If action was imminent, your finger would be on the trigger. If action isn't imminent, why do we even need to see your hand on the gun? Take a pretty picture of it laying on a table. Really don't need to see your hand to admire the gun. :):

Craig Douglas would like a word.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    [QUOTE=Sigblaster;8404382]It seems everyone is SO concerned with demonstrating their "Gun Safety Awareness" that they must contort their hands into the same unnatural trendster grip that everyone else uses to "Safety Signal".

Look, if you have time to smile and pose with your weapon, chances are that the apocalypse is not immediately upon you. You don't need to keep your finger THAT ready. Go ahead and drop that finger below the trigger guard on your AR, on the pistol grip of the weapon where it normally hangs out when you're actually patrolling. If your handgun is out of its holster, you can also keep your finger below the trigger guard for your facebook pics. If action was imminent, your finger would be on the trigger. If action isn't imminent, why do we even need to see your hand on the gun? Take a pretty picture of it laying on a table. Really don't need to see your hand to admire the gun.
    :):

IFIFY...[/QUOTE]
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Clay Pigeon again.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not sure this went the way the OP thought it would?

Maybe if it would have been posted in the politics section or break room, outcome would have been different? Not sure though...

:scratch:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Your trigger finger may be on the trigger on a combat patrol, or laying on the pistol grip on a less-likely encounter like a recon patrol, but NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY walks around for hours sticking their finger out straight like that.

Sloppy, (inconsistent) gun handling is what gets people perforated. Startle proof register position is the accepted position for your trigger finger for a reason, reason being it's proved to be the safest way to handle a firearm.
    I'm thankful your thoughts on safety and trigger finger discipline hasn't caused you a problem to this point. The best way to continue that trend is consistently keep your head in the game and stop considering safe gun handling a "minor" thing.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Your trigger finger may be on the trigger on a combat patrol, or laying on the pistol grip on a less-likely encounter like a recon patrol, but NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY walks around for hours sticking their finger out straight like that.

Actually, we do.

While I'm bothering to reply, what's with this keeping your trigger finger below the trigger guard ****?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Any time I have my gun in hand I hold it with my finger straight down the gun, unless I’m shooting. Why would I ever wanna break a habit that we are trained to do for safety by changing where my finger sits? I don’t even think about it, I just naturally hold a gun that way, as 99% of us do, and it works, why start doing something different because it doesn’t “look cool”?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I was in the military as well. Treat Never Keep Keep said it ever night in boot camp.

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
    Never point a weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot
    Keep your weapon on safe until ready to fire.
    Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until ready to fire

I guess the Marines are wrong?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I was in the military as well. Treat Never Keep Keep said it ever night in boot camp.

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
    Never point a weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot
    Keep your weapon on safe until ready to fire.
    Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until ready to fire

I guess the Marines are wrong?

I don't think they were, It was instilled to me in my youth and burned in by the USMC and its still a popular thing with those silly Jarheads.
    Heres mine from last year and the other one a few months ago.

View attachment 90285

View attachment 90286

Silly Jarheads, keeping loaded weapons secure...

View attachment 90287

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom