• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Doesn't it have to be specifically requested though? Last time I was in an IMPD car that's how I was shown it works :dunno:

Yes it has to be specifically requested. On the older Z-client system you could check for LTCH status using the person's name and dob. I haven't tried it on the new system. The file that was accessed was not up to date however and could have info in it that was several months old. Last time I checked my own LTCH it still showed I had an expired 4-year, but I've had my lifetime for 8 months. The more reliable way to check LTCH status is to contact control and have them access the file.

Contrary to INGO popular belief, LTCH status DOES NOT appear when the status of a drivers license is checked.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    If this is done for officer safety, it's a fail. Apart from the potential of accidentally shooting you with your own gun. If you had either not wanted to be detained or not wanted to be disarmed, you could of easily grabbed his arm reaching in, and grabbed a knife (laying beside the seat or within reach) and stabbed him repeatedly before he knew what was going on.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    If this is done for officer safety, it's a fail. Apart from the potential of accidentally shooting you with your own gun. If you had either not wanted to be detained or not wanted to be disarmed, you could of easily grabbed his arm reaching in, and grabbed a knife (laying beside the seat or within reach) and stabbed him repeatedly before he knew what was going on.

Or held the arm and took off Tony Soprano style. Maybe he felt comfortable doing that but I would have felt vulnerable.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    One thing I would recommend is keeping your LTCH in a different spot other than directly behind your driver's license. Mine is much further back in my wallet.

As far as the officer reaching across your lap to get your firearm, several bad things could happen. I have done Judo and Jujitsu for many years. From that position, I could very easily go into a choke or an arm bar. Whoever taught this officer that technique did him no favors.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Looking back, I definitely should have done things differently. The whole reason that I went to Kroger in the first place was to get some Coca-Cola for my wife's upset stomach. For this reason, I was in a hurry to get back to her and my apartment.

I read a thread on here a while back that was debating what to do when an officer asks if there are any weapons in the vehicle. My favorite answer was to reply with, "There is nothing illegal in the car." Or something along those lines. This very statement was going through my brain at the time, but, since I thought taking the easy road was going to be faster, I caved.

I agree grimor. There is nothing safe about that scenario. What kills me even more is that I was talking to a good friend of mine who just happens to be a traffic officer in North District about this on Friday. He said that, if the person doesn't look shady, he just tells them to keep their hands visible to him and to keep it holstered. This leads me back to a theory that I read here a bit ago that the vets are usually a little more cool about it and the new guys on the force like to throw the weight of that badge around. Perhaps 2+2=4?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

That's the thing that jumped out at me. We're used to stories about people being asked about firearms being disarmed, etc.

But it's HOW this officer retreived the firearm just sounds so tactically BAD from the description that my mouth was hanging open. :eek: I mean, someone who was really a threat would have had no problem OWNING that guy. Whew. I hope he doesn't get hurt/wises up before he gets himself killed or kills/injures a regular Joe.

Personally, I think I've just changed one of my views. Previously, my strategy has been to not volunteer the information, but to answer the question if asked. I'm getting awfully close to refusing to answer the question even if asked.

When the LTCH checks out that should be the end of it. All this unnecessary fiddling with guns is going to get someone seriously injured or worse eventually. It's just plain dangerous.

In fact, the more of this stuff I hear, the less plausible the "officer safety" argument becomes and the more I think it's just cover for fishing expeditions (which are in violation of the 4th Amendment after the LTCH checks out).

Last edited:

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    In fact, the more of this stuff I hear, the less plausible the "officer safety" argument becomes and the more I think it's just cover for fishing expeditions (which are in violation of the 4th Amendment after the LTCH checks out).

You probably aren't too far off from the truth. I know that the cops near me have been on the look out for a Pea Green Jeep. The drivers of said Jeep broke into a unit in my complex and took some guns. Perhaps the officer couldn't distinguish Pea Green from my black on black Jeep. :dunno:

It was, after all, very dark. :D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Two questions:

Did he sweep your thighs (or worse) with the muzzle as he pulled it out?

Did you think about tickling him under the arm, or goosing his ribs as he reached across you?

I agree with Scutter on this one. By reaching across and making himself vulnerable, he proved either that he knows nothing about protecting his own safety, or his taking the weapon had nothing to do with officer safety.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    ... he proceeds to reach through my rolled-down window, across my body, and through my outstretched arms to disarm me. I carry a PF-9 with a belt clip IWB and I drive a Cherokee with almost five inches of lift, so it wasn't the easiest thing to retrieve. I was a little sketched since there was one in the pipe (told him so), but he acted like he does it forty times a day...

BAD idea !!!:dunno:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    So I just ran to Kroger to get a couple of things (pop, ice cream, typical 1am stuff) and, on my way back into my apartment complex, I saw the IMPD red and blues going behind me. I stopped and turned my vehicle off. The officer walked up to my window as I was thumbing through my wallet to get my license. I handed him my DL and he proceeded to ask me if there were any guns in the car. I told him that I did have one and that it was on my right hip.

This is where it gets weird. He didn't want me to get out of the Jeep; just told me to keep my hands on the wheel. He said that he saw my LTCH under my DL and figured that I had one on me. Anyways, he proceeds to reach through my rolled-down window, across my body, and through my outstretched arms to disarm me. I carry a PF-9 with a belt clip IWB and I drive a Cherokee with almost five inches of lift, so it wasn't the easiest thing to retrieve. I was a little sketched since there was one in the pipe (told him so), but he acted like he does it forty times a day. It was awkward.

So he got my pistol and went back to his car for a while. Upon return, he handed me the cleared round and put my Kel-Tec in the back seat. He then said I was free to go. That was all. Didn't even tell me why he pulled me over. Is this normal protocol?

He was a nice enough guy, but I kind of feel owed an explanation. I guess I'll never know...

no not normal or proper. did you tell him to stop and you dont consent to any searches? or you should have told him you dont answer any questions when he first asked you about a gun.

FILE A COMPLAINT!

Top Bottom