• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I also don't disarm LTCH holders when I stop them for traffic violations (unless circumstances deem that I need to, i.e. arrest). I don't know most of the people I stop and they don't know me, so I try to keep our "relationship" on even ground.

What is bizarre to me is how much this topic (at least from my experience) wildly varies from officer to officer. Through my job I have become friends with a few North District day shifters, and, even amongst them, there are different methods. One guy says leave it holstered; another says I don't know you from Adam, step out and I'll be removing this from your person. I even had my wife talk to a gal she works with who is getting married to a State Trooper, and he says hand it over butt first. It hurts my brain to think that, after being through one academy or another, two out of three officers choose to fondle guns of citizens who have obviously gone to (to some more than others) great expense in making sure they are doing things the "right way". On the other hand, a family member of Officer David Moore is a good friend of mine, so I have the ability to see it both ways. The only difference between myself and Thomas Hardy is that I'm not a dirtbag career-criminal driving a stolen car.

I would like to think that this is a big enough issue that, collectively, the gun owners and police could come up with a win-win SOP and lay this issue to rest. :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . another says I don't know you from Adam, step out and I'll be removing this from your person. . . , and he says hand it over butt first. . . .

Interesting. From the case law/decisions we've seen referenced in this thread the courts seem to have said that:

LTCH holder + firearm, in the absence of other factors, does NOT = legitimate articulable concern for officer safety.

And yet, many officers seem to be persisting in treating it that way.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Will you hold me afterwards? :D

You do know that Frank wears this under his uniform, right?

149010669v4_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I forgot I actually have something useful (or at least relevant) to say...

A couple weeks ago I was pulled over by a state trooper. I gave him my LTCH with my driver's license, he asked me what what and where it was, then told me he preferred to take it back to his car with him. He was cordial, and said he'd have me step out and disarm me from behind.
    At this point I felt it prudent to inform him that I also had one in a shoulder holster under a sweatshirt. He then said leave them where they lay and please keep my hands in sight (i.e., steering wheel)

Really, props to the officer. Didn't bat an eye at either gun, and was at least going to use a "safer" disarm than the OP's did, and had the good sense to realize leaving them holstered was the better option.....and me keeping hands in plain sight is a fair compromise, in my mind.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I don't see the big deal. Cops are consistently terrified of firearms. They always keep their sidearms unloaded and in the back seat. Always, right? I mean it's not like they keep a loaded one right on their hip or anything...

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I forgot I actually have something useful (or at least relevant) to say...

A couple weeks ago I was pulled over by a state trooper. I gave him my LTCH with my driver's license, he asked me what what and where it was, then told me he preferred to take it back to his car with him. He was cordial, and said he'd have me step out and disarm me from behind.
    At this point I felt it prudent to inform him that I also had one in a shoulder holster under a sweatshirt. He then said leave them where they lay and please keep my hands in sight (i.e., steering wheel)

Really, props to the officer. Didn't bat an eye at either gun, and was at least going to use a "safer" disarm than the OP's did, and had the good sense to realize leaving them holstered was the better option.....and me keeping hands in plain sight is a fair compromise, in my mind.

He was ready to take one gun but when another gun was brought to his attention he didn't want either? Was he too lazy to unload 2 guns or did he have an epiphany and think no way this guy is a danger with 2?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    He was ready to take one gun but when another gun was brought to his attention he didn't want either? Was he too lazy to unload 2 guns or did he have an epiphany and think no way this guy is a danger with 2?
    I like to think he had the epiphany that if I (or we the bearers of LTCH) wanted to cause harm, we wouldn't be telling them in the first place, and that it was a courtesy in telling him that he didn't need to take advantage off.

Besides, this may have been a case of starting to follow academy training, then utilizing common sense instead. I stand by my props to him.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I like to think he had the epiphany that if I (or we the bearers of LTCH) wanted to cause harm, we wouldn't be telling them in the first place, and that it was a courtesy in telling him that he didn't need to take advantage off.

Besides, this may have been a case of starting to follow academy training, then utilizing common sense instead. I stand by my props to him.

Yep props to him then. Just a little weird. I will carry 2 or 3 for now on.;)

Coltguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Odd to say the least. I got hassled one night after being pulled over. The officer saw my NRA decal in my truck window. First thing he said was give me your gun. I wasn't carrying. My truck get checked up and down. Then he and 4 buddies left on another call. Still have no idea why I was pulled over!

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Odd to say the least. I got hassled one night after being pulled over. The officer saw my NRA decal in my truck window. First thing he said was give me your gun. I wasn't carrying. My truck get checked up and down. Then he and 4 buddies left on another call. Still have no idea why I was pulled over!

TrapLARGE.jpg

They was robbin' you.

WTH? I'm guessing you consented to this search?

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I can see it now.
    Officer reaches across driver to get gun.
    Gun goes off, hitting the driver in the leg.
    Driver "interacts" with officer that is leaning across him
    Officer freaks and draws on the driver, maybe even plugs him.

either way...bad for the driver

Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    Wow... The only experiance ive had along these lines was when i was pulled over here in huntington for "running" a red light. At the time i was wearing a shoulder holster(im right handed, so gun was under my left pit). The officer came up to the side of the car and my friend and i both had our hands up and out in front of us(he was carrying his beretta 92fs). the officer asked where my firearm was, and i told him i had a M1911A1 in a shoulder rig under my left armpit, and he told me to leave my hands where they were and reached in the car under my hoodie and undid the button snap on the holster(pos utg od green canvas, dont have it anymore) and removed my handgun. THEN he asked for my DL and LTCH, and went back and ran everything. came back told me he pulled me over for running a red light, gave me a warning, and handed me my empty 1911, mag and my +1 and told me that everything checked out and i was free to go. Every other time ive been pulled over, its always been the normal DL and registration and my LTCh, NEVER any interaction with my firearms.

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    Safer than climbing into the driver's lap to retrieve the gun to begin with? If he's such a danger that this backseat nonsense is even necessary, why give the gun back and let him go?

i was refering to putting the gun in the backseat not the groping to get the gun

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom