• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Imagine the stories we will be telling if the pre-Biden gun bans. Back in the days you could own an actual AR-15 and order an buffer tube through the mail without a background check.

Back on topic, I remember all the crates of random inexpensive rifles you could get at Fetla's. I never bought any, but wish I'd bought an SKS or three.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I remember buying my first gun in 1962. I was 12 years old and I did it myself without an adult. It was a single shot .22 lever action rifle for $21.00 I put it on lay-a-way and paid weekly until it was mine. First round in it downed a big crow sitting in a tree. Times have changed.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    First BB gun daisy. it was a Xmas gift so don’t know price but a tube of ammo was less than a dime and a big ole 8ga. size tube was about a quarter or less as I remember.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Went to the 'Lil Abner amusement park. Bought a silly hat and a Reb Navy .44 cap and ball revolver at the concession stand. Yep, bought a gun at an amusement park as a kid; along with caps, powder and balls.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    12 yrs old, walk down sidewalk middle of town, w .22 rifle and a box of ammo.
    Nobody said anything.
    Must have assumed (correctly) that cuz and I were going to the dump to shoot rats.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    12 yrs old, walk down sidewalk middle of town, w .22 rifle and a box of ammo.
    Nobody said anything.
    Must have assumed (correctly) that cuz and I were going to the dump to shoot rats.
    Same here. A buddy and I would walk with both a shotgun and a rifle each, ammo vests bulging with boxes of shells to go shooting on the railroad tracks where they passed under I-465 on the south side of Indy. Pretty sure SWAT would be involved if someone tried that today. :):

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    We took my buddy’s dads service revolver just off 465 at White River and had a blast! Pun intended! Didn’t even consider having a problem.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We took my buddy’s dads service revolver just off 465 at White River and had a blast! Pun intended! Didn’t even consider having a problem.

Mom and Dad were friends with all those greenhouse owners on Bluff, so we'd cut through their property to get back to the tracks. There was a gravel pit back there too where we'd do some shooting.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County

Early 60's the end cap at K-mart full of 98 Mausers, Carcanos, and Garand, all in cosmoline. The seventies buying a SKS, with 100 rnds of ammo for $125, at the 1500. Entry was less than $10, parking was free. Working for $1.25 an hour. Sigh
    :cool:<><Duce

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Spring of '69. I had been given a used but not abused Savage 6A as a graduation gift. It handled .22 LR, Longs, and Shorts (semi-automatic with LRs only). My 1st REAL rifle. Went to Sears to buy .22LR ammo and was told that I could not purchase it because I was only 17! I could buy all the shotgun shells I wanted, but I didn't own a shotgun. Had to have a buddy buy my .22 ammo all summer. And I could only afford 2 boxes at a time. $1.00 an hour pay didn't go very far those days. Finally turned 18 that fall and felt like a man when I bought that 1st box of shells on my own. And yes, I still have that rifle. Finally had to have a rail put on it for a scope. Seems time has made a few changes in 1 of us.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    My first firearm was a Crosman 760 with a wooden stock, I still have it. At 10 YO I got a Mossberg .410 for Christmas, this was stolen several years ago. The next year my grandfather gave me a 20 gauge shotgun and I still have it. My next rifle was a nylon 66, also stolen several years ago.

I grew up in a small town and worked in a service station. At 10 PM when I closed the station, the local LEO would pick me up and and we would go to the dump to shoot rats.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    In 1980 I worked in the automotive department at Kmart, I was friends with the sporting goods manager. Anytime someone would return a gun they bought (yes they allowed that back then) he would ask me if I wanted to buy it at a discount. I bought several but the one I remember most was a semi auto Remington 30-06 that I paid 75.00 for. Those were the days.

The Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Evansville
    If I had a time machine I'd go back to the late 80s/ early 90s and get a warehouse full of polytech AKs for $150 a pop. I'd be a rich man today.

Top Bottom