• Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    thunderhc9duotone-preview.jpg

I've recently been helping my coworker look for a nice affordable handgun. While browsing for guns in his price range I stumbled onto the Bersa 9 which I was seriously thinking about getting a while ago. Anyone here own one or have experience with one? I have a Bersa Thunder .380 Plus that I am extremely fond of and I know a lot of people here highly recommend them. Does the Thunder 9 live up to the same reputation? I know Bersa guns don't have as nice of a finish as a lot of other guns, but i'm more concerned about functionality. Is the 9 accurate, reliable, etc..? What are everyone's thoughts?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    My experience is with the Bersa Thunder 9UC, which is the compact version. It is a very accurate and reliable firearm that is value priced. Not quite in the Glock/XD/M&P category, but excellent for the money. I would argue that the 9mms are the best of the Bersa line.

One downside, extra mags are expensive- about $40. If he gets it, he will not be disappointed.

You might want to check out the Bersa Chat forum to find out a lot more about them.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Devil's advocate here... they're almost $400 right? You can get a Ruger SR9/SR9c for the same price.

I think the Thunder 380's compete better because they are inexpensive and they have a segment almost to themselves. Probably why there are many more posts on Bersachat in the 380 forum than there are in the 9mm forum.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Bersa 9mm HC is one of my favorite guns. Sure you can see some machining marks but they are guaranteed for life and are solidly built. I have an earlier version without the rail and chamber indicator but they are identical otherwise.

The 9mm HC is built in a different plant and it does not have the lock that the other Bersa pistols have.

I think I am more accurate with the 9 HC because of it's size but because the frame is not steel, it is not a heavy brick. I really like my Bersa and always advise this as a choice.

EDIT: A couple of things. The SR9 is striker fired like the Glock and the Bersa is hammer fired with a decocker. The SR9 has a slimmer grip with a changeable backstrap (I think). Both have 17+1. The SR9 is a polymer frame, the Bersa Aluminum. I have not handled an SR9. From what I understand Ruger does not provide a warranty but are good about fixing things.

I have no doubt that both are great. You need to handle both to get a feel for what you like, you will more likely pay about $50 more for the Ruger. I picked up my Bersa at the 1500 a couple of years ago for $309.

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I wish I could find one at a show to look at. I've got a buddy that is looking for an inexpensive home denfense pistol. He's sold on the Thunder 380, but a $300 9mm would be a viable alternative.

I've seen a ton of the .380 Bersas at shows, don't see a lot of the 9mms.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Devil's advocate here... they're almost $400 right? You can get a Ruger SR9/SR9c for the same price.

I think the Thunder 380's compete better because they are inexpensive and they have a segment almost to themselves. Probably why there are many more posts on Bersachat in the 380 forum than there are in the 9mm forum.

True. But i'm not a huge fan of plastic guns. All my guns are full metal. I don't know what it is, but i just like the feel of metal. I have yet to like any plastic gun i've shot.

Thanks everyone for all the responses! Makes me feel better about possibly adding one of these to my collection. :)

casper975

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Is the barrel removable some of the bersa's in the past I seen had the barrel attached to the frame like the cheap ring of fire brands(jennings, bryco, cobra, davis, etc, etc)

casper975

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I wasn't saying they was cheap I was saying that the ones i seen back in the day had the barrel perminately attached to the frame I'm sure the newer ones are not like that

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wasn't saying they was cheap I was saying that the ones i seen back in the day had the barrel perminately attached to the frame I'm sure the newer ones are not like that

Most 380's are blowback pistols and have the barrel attached to the frame. The larger pistols are not due to the stresses and are usually a variation on the Browning model. A blowback pistol, because of it's fixed barrel, is naturally more accurate.

Hi Points are blowback pistols. That is why they look so big in the larger calibers. The Hi Point is certainly an inexpensive pistol but it is hard to find anything negative about them except for the snobbery.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They like them but I think they feel and look bulky but they have never had a problem with them

Which would make them a true truck gun.

I worked on a friends C-9 and found out that it is not a gun to clean thoroughly due to construction. Even then, no real cleaning did not hamper it's performance.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    This bersa nine is fine...my brother has the one I got...runs ok but he says it is ammo finicky...the extractor was having a hard time with rws or sellier and bellot...can find out for sure for you...if u want a budget 9mm then get the Ruger p95 for $300...I would rather have one of these than this one because of the price...most likely u will either stuff it in a drawer or shoot it a lot...if u shoot a lot then u will want to upgrade...resell on a Ruger will be higher and easier than a bersa...get a Ruger but if u got 400 to spend get a used xd , glock, or a new ruger lc9;Ruger sr9...would spend spend tops on this gun. One other to consider is the p250 sig for about 369 from budsgunshop.com

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom