• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    "The most important decisions in life are often a matter of probability." Pierre-Simon Laplace (mathematician).

Individuals differ in terms of what level of uncertainty they are comfortable living with. As others have said, the fact is that you are very, very unlikely to ever have to shoot your gun in self defense. And among that tiny fraction of people who do have to shoot their gun in self defense a tiny fraction will need more than a few rounds. The probability that YOU will have to BOTH shoot your gun in self defense AND need more than a few rounds is the product of the individual probabilities. Just picking random probabilities to illustrate this point, let's say there's a 1 in 10,000 chance that you will have to shoot your gun in self defense and that among those who have to shoot their gun in self defense 3% need more than a few rounds. That means there's a 0.000003 percent chance that you'll need to shoot your gun in a defensive shooting and need more than a few rounds. (0.0001 x 0.03= 0.000003). A similar probability could be calculated for the likelihood of a magazine induced malfunction occurring. Again, I just made up those probabilities, but the point would still remain even if you made the probabilities much higher, the product is a FREAKING SMALL number.

Those of you who espouse high capacity and multiple magazines are seriously risk averse, which is fine, but I just hope you all have life insurance, because that probability is 100%.

Its NOT because of the odds that I carry, its because of what is at Stake,https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/471497-thoughts-capacity-8.html

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why would you assume this?

All it would take is to be corned in a convenient or drug store with a couple nothing to lose thug robbers carrying normal capacity modern polymer guns. :dunno:

Or someone who is intent on harming you that refuses to extend the courtesy of stopping after being shot half a dozen times and continues to harm you before they eventually minutes later.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I carried a full-size 1911 and two spare mags for 15 years. I carried a J frame in my pocket with two spares speedloaders for 10 years. I now carry a Ruger subcompact pocket carry 9 + 1 with two spare mags.
    I've never needed them.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I carried a full-size 1911 and two spare mags for 15 years. I carried a J frame in my pocket with two spares speedloaders for 10 years. I now carry a Ruger subcompact pocket carry 9 + 1 with two spare mags.
    I've never needed them.

YET...

1. Pray you never do.
    2. Pray you have them if you do.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What does everyone perceive the costs of extra ammo to be? If I’m carrying a spare mag in a good carrier on a good belt, the cost to me is convenience and issues when driving. I drive a little car with bucket seats and that spare mag makes driving uncomfortable. If I go with larger mags or 2 mags, then it’s paid for in back pain at the end of the day. This is with quality gun belts and good quality spare mag carriers.

For those of us that don’t religiously carry a spare, what if the reason? For those that do, is there any cost to spare mag carry that you are fine with accepting?

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    What does everyone perceive the costs of extra ammo to be? If I’m carrying a spare mag in a good carrier on a good belt, the cost to me is convenience and issues when driving. I drive a little car with bucket seats and that spare mag makes driving uncomfortable. If I go with larger mags or 2 mags, then it’s paid for in back pain at the end of the day. This is with quality gun belts and good quality spare mag carriers.

For those of us that don’t religiously carry a spare, what if the reason? For those that do, is there any cost to spare mag carry that you are fine with accepting?

I run a ~25$ safariland horizontal mag wrap that looks like a cell phone, sits with belt line below and top and is ultimate comfort. It’s velcro so easy on and off I run a full size spare so... for me there more of a cost to not have it. Mainly it offsets (alittle) of the gun weight.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I chose the gear, then adapted how to carry it, in that order. It's unlikely that anyone else on INGO (including police officers with duty gear) outside of the military carries more weight in gear than I do. I have reasons for all of it and the weight and comfort issues are far less important to me than having what I choose to have with me all the time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Don't know if it will help you, my friend, but a single spare in a carrier is often way more difficult than a double carrier for me. Single often gets hooked or banged on stuff, when the double doesn't. The double feels as if the wider more rigid platform pulls the mags into you. Double covers easier also, without a bulge.

The single mag carrier I use (in the boat or hiking the bank) is a Multi Holsters clip on. I've used it for years without a failure other than the double is always better, except when swimming. The belt clip might work to go on and off in and out of the car?

I've always carried the gun IWB @ 3:00, 2 mags @ 9:00 OWB balances the load. My little car with buckets, the same as the Explorer with buckets treats my back back well with this setup.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I run a ~25$ safariland horizontal mag wrap that looks like a cell phone, sits with belt line below and top and is ultimate comfort. It’s velcro so easy on and off I run a full size spare so... for me there more of a cost to not have it. Mainly it offsets (alittle) of the gun weight.

I need to give that a shot. One of the things that makes double spare mags uncomfortable is that when I sit, they put sideway pressure on my back and after a full day, I feel it for the rest of the night. Horizontal would eliminate that part.

Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Carrying a spare mag is like carrying a spare part that can get you back in the action in a second or two. In the training classes that I have attended the magazine/ammo is the likeliest cause of a malfunction. If you take enough "dynamic" firearm classes, you see some crazy things happen to equipment under stress that you never thought possible.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Carrying a spare mag is like carrying a spare part that can get you back in the action in a second or two. In the training classes that I have attended the magazine/ammo is the likeliest cause of a malfunction. If you take enough "dynamic" firearm classes, you see some crazy things happen to equipment under stress that you never thought possible.

True 'nough...one day at the range, monthly, doesn't compare to repeated and rigorous use of a firearm! For my Glock pistols, I keep one (1) of just about every part as a spare, with the exception of the slide, barrel, frame, etc. 'cause, why wait 3-4-5 days to get your gun back functioning!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    That's pretty good bw.
    I have needed my seatbelt many times in my life. Three times rear ended and when I owned my CJ it held me tight so I didn't fall out the side during my crazy 3 wheel maneuvers, lol. Times racing both off road and on road, my seatbelt aided in maintaining control.
    Using insurance? Yup, I've used it to. Kitchen flood and a motorcycle wreck.
    Even broke a helmet in a bicycle wreck.
    Geez, now that I think about it, I should have been more careful.:)

As a former volunteer EMT of 24 years...I've seen several times where a seat belt used correctly has secured the individual in the seat, saving their life!
    I have yet to see a seat belt, used correctly be the cause of or a contributing factor in, someone losing their life!
    Helmets, well, I've seen them protect individuals as well as reduce the degree of damage suffered in an accident!
    That gray matter between the ears...if it ain't protected sufficiently, it doesn't always recover all the way!
    Be safe!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    True 'nough...one day at the range, monthly, doesn't compare to repeated and rigorous use of a firearm! For my Glock pistols, I keep one (1) of just about every part as a spare, with the exception of the slide, barrel, frame, etc. 'cause, why wait 3-4-5 days to get your gun back functioning!

This is why I have at least 2 of what I carry. That includes the G23, G27, G30, P10C and P07. Why wait for the fix when you can just slip the backup gun into the holster and carry on. Spare parts are a good idea though. My spares inventory is not as complete as it should be but I do tend to have springs and extractors covered.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    This is why I have at least 2 of what I carry. That includes the G23, G27, G30, P10C and P07. Why wait for the fix when you can just slip the backup gun into the holster and carry on. Spare parts are a good idea though. My spares inventory is not as complete as it should be but I do tend to have springs and extractors covered.

I need to step my game up. I don't have spare anything except ar stuff. How often do you end up needed said parts?

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Maybe we should be like Jerry Miculek. For his three gun and Pistol work, he has training guns and match guns set up exactly alike. He doesn't want to put that many rounds on his match guns.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Two is one and one is none.

Spare parts are a good idea for the home front. But while you're out and about, carry those spare parts fully assembled into a spare gun.

My problem is I can't find primary and BUGs that compliment each other that I'd both like. And I'm just not that concerned about needing a BUG.

evladi7654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Your freedom !

Over the last couple of years, I’ve found that my desire to carry higher capacity guns has diminished a lot. I used to sometimes carry a compact 15+1 gun and a pair of spare mags when out and about. Lately, I’ll most likely be found with much less. I’m not trying to convince anyone to carry less ammo, but am more interested in what this body of shooters thinks and what they see as their own minimum.

My thinking lately is that a Glock 30 with 10+1 rounds of .45 should get me out of anything I’m likely to step in. I will admit though, when heading into the city, there is still a spare mag on my hip.

What drives your choice in carry capacity and spares?

It is not about rounds, it is all about your freedom !!! Connecticut banned more than 8 ( I think ) rounds magazine , and banned for expample Walther 22 with ''screwed'' barrel... and it just a beginning ! So, now I can not take out both my guns !!! So, dont talk ''how many '' but talk if any...

Top Bottom