• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Can anyone give me their thoughts on these?
    I met my Ex wife in 85, we divorced in 05. I bought my first G21 in 91, still have it. What else do you need to know?

Unless you really need the G21, remember the 13 rd mags work in the G30 just fine. As a house gun, truck gun, open carry in camp or field, drop leg when doing work like chainsawing or urban riot patrol in your yard, the G21 is great. If you have decided to daily carry a double stack .45, the G30 has some advantages. I am a Glock guy but if starting out new today I would have to consider M&P's as well.

What the G21 and G30 do best is shoot soft. To a newbie shooter they are very forgiving guns. My GF made hits at 25 yards with a G21 the first time she ever shot a Glock or any .45 at all. I am talking in the 2nd or 3rd mag in the gun. I didn't tell her to do it, she just was making hits up close and moved to a farther target. I just kept my mouth shut. Same thing the other day with 3 friends who are shooters but only have 9mm. They each picked up 21's and 30's, made hits with them and liked them.

It is rare a new shooter can come close to doing that with a 1911.

Glocks will cycle any brass.

It is not that easy to go back and forth from a Glock to a 1911. I don't get hung up on the mental aspect of different triggers but muscle memorization on 1911's often locks people up when they pick up a Glock. It's a Glock. You can not turn it into a 1911. You buy a Glock to own a Glock.

Shovels, chainsaws and Glocks go together very well.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I have used the Glock 21 as my primary duty weapon for 8 years. My first one was a standard full-size Gen3 Glock 21 which probably had 20k rounds through it. During this time I had one FTF shooting one of my reloads.

About two years ago my dept traded the Gen3 G21's for Gen3 21SF's. Again, no problems at all with my newest duty weapon. I have fired a good assortment of HST 230gr, factory 230gr FMJ, and my 230gr FMJ reloads through the gun with no issues.

Last week I bought a new Gen4 Glock 21. I did not clean the gun and went straight to the range. I started with my 230gr reloads. On the second round fired I had a stovepipe. Easily cleared and no futher issues. After that I fired 25 more rounds of my reloads and about 25 rounds of American Eagle 230gr FMJ with no issue.

In summary, both of the malfunctions I have ever experienced in a Glock 21 have come from my reloads. I loaded many thousands of these years ago with a very light load of 4.3g of Tite-group with a 230gr Montana Gold FMJ bullet. They are loaded to only 725fps which is just slightly above the minimum power factor of 165,000 for IDPA CDP division. Normal loads would be between 850-875fps so both malfunctions were ammo related.

I prefer the grip of the G21SF and/or Gen4 G21 over the original 3rd Gen G21. I was a firearms instructor for several years and observed many officers with small hands having problems with the Gen3 G21, especially females. I believe the G21 fits a larger number of people while still providing a full grip to those of us with larger hands.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I had a Glock 21 for about 20 years. I have also have had a Glock 30 for many years.(I also have a Glock 27, and 23). I sold off the 21 not too long ago. I kept the 30.

The 21 is a great gun, but it is rather large for carry. I much prefer carrying the 30 over the 21.

Take a look at the 30, or even the new 30s (36 slide on a 30 frame). You can use the 21 mags in the 30.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I carried the 21 on duty for many years.
    Now I carry the 30 every day.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I was considering getting one since I have a G20, but have decided against it. The only .45 cal pistols I am looking at are the HK45, the Cz-97b, a sorted 1911, and an FNx-45, I decided the glock 21 didn't do anything better tahn any of these other options, and I like things about those other guns better. If you go for it I suggest an SF or gen4 model

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a Glock 21. (I know stock is limited right now.)

Can anyone give me their thoughts on these? I already have a Springfield 1911 Range Officer, I really love that firearm. I just want something else also. I would really like to stick to .45acp, thats what drew me to the 21.

Pros? Cons?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Im a huge 1911 fan who used to hate Glocks. Mostly hated Glocks due to me having small hands and unable to grip the gun firmly. But I recently purchased a G21 Gen4. I like the G21 Gen4 so much that I daily carry it over my Colt Lightweight Commander. I conceal it really well with a Galco Combat Master Holster.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Although it is supposed to be way big for a guy with my size of hands, I shoot it much better than any other GLOCK. Go figure.

Great gun, in my opinion, and a 13 round mag of .45acp is a confidence booster.

Carry it? I have. RARELY.
    It seems they are a little hard to find at the LGSs lately, and the magazines have become extinct.

JRPLANE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Hagerstown, Indiana
    I have a GL21, I am coming up on 26,000 rounds all lead reloads. I now carry a GL30. So I tried a little experment with the GL21. I stopped cleaning it to see when it would fail to fire. At 4400 rounds I had a few FTF's so I cleaned it.
    4400 and not even a brush down the barrel. I have had 9- 1911's and they would not do that.
    You will not win a pretty gun contest! but the gun will fire!!

devildog178

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Henry Co
    Glocks , IMO, are the best value out there. I would steer you towards the 30 SF over the 21 SF since it is a little smaller but yet can still use 21 magazines.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I carry one daily, in a Galco COP 3-slot pancake, normally cross-draw. It's accurate, easy-shooting, and reliable. And you just can't argue with 14 rounds of .45 ACP. Sure, it's thick; but if you've got big meaty man-paws, it shouldn't be a problem.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I own a G21SF and love it. I carried it on duty for years and never let me down once. I do carry it off duty when its jacket weather, as I can't conceal it effectively in tshirt weather. I am actually planning to have it stippled by phylodog here soon.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Hi All, New to the site & have a G21 Gen4 on the way. I've been looking for an OWB holster and wondered if anyone has a favorite. Any thoughts on the Double Tap brand?

I'm shopping for a holster, too. Right now, my top candidate is the Phantom holster from Raven Concealment.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    If it fits your hand, the Glock 21 is an amazing weapon. I find the 1911's a bit uncomfortable to fire in .45 ACP. I know they are very popular but I just have never liked how they feel in my hands.

The G21, however, is so smooth and the recoil is almost unnoticeable as you fire. I'm sure it's due to the combination of weight and the width of the grip. I have long fingers and so I can wrap my fingers around the grip without any problems. I have a friend, however with short, stubby fingers and he can't fire accurately with it at all.

So I'd recommend you try one at the range and see how well you can control it. It doesn't matter a bit how good a weapon is if you can't fire it accurately and reliably because it doesn't fit you.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hi All, New to the site & have a G21 Gen4 on the way. I've been looking for an OWB holster and wondered if anyone has a favorite. Any thoughts on the Double Tap brand?

I'm shopping for a holster, too. Right now, my top candidate is the Phantom holster from Raven Concealment.

For OWB holster a blackhawk its very nice. Thats what I carry mine in. for an IWB holster, I have a galco kingtuk on the way so we shall see how that holds up. Ill report back on those.

I dont know why people complain about concealing a G21, I find I can conceal it just like I can my 19, obviously its a bit bigger but it can be concealed. I prefer an OWB holster though due to ease of access.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If it fits your hand, the Glock 21 is an amazing weapon. I find the 1911's a bit uncomfortable to fire in .45 ACP. I know they are very popular but I just have never liked how they feel in my hands.

The G21, however, is so smooth and the recoil is almost unnoticeable as you fire. I'm sure it's due to the combination of weight and the width of the grip. I have long fingers and so I can wrap my fingers around the grip without any problems. I have a friend, however with short, stubby fingers and he can't fire accurately with it at all.

So I'd recommend you try one at the range and see how well you can control it. It doesn't matter a bit how good a weapon is if you can't fire it accurately and reliably because it doesn't fit you.

The shorter grip of the Gen 4 should remedy this pretty well.

That's why I've had to pass on a G20 until I can get a gen 4. (Though an SF would work, too).

IndyGlockGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN

It feels fine, as I held a friends a few weeks ago. We'll see how it shoots when it arrives.

Top Bottom