• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you can afford it... I say go for it!

I've got a hankering for one myself, but zero money with which to buy one. C'est la vie...

-J-

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I read a lot of reviews before buying mine and everyone seemed to love them, someone has to get the lemon I guess. It's been back to Mossberg once and it's still not reliable, feeding, ejecting, every kind of malfunction you can name.

Thinking about a 12ga pump, probably Remington 870.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I Have what you are talking about, the 930 SPX. They are great guns. Nice pad, low recoil, even with the heavy 3" stuff. Very fast light trigger, and if you want to run an optic on it of any sort, you can easily do so. Comes with a 1913 rail on it, and the rear sight is affixed with a thumb screw and easily removable. Also, you can ghost load a 9th round on the shell elevator. Extremely high firepower in a compact package. Cost ya around $609 before tax. Don't pay more than that. Make sure you get one with a round knurled bolt knob, not the flat oval shaped one. If it has the flat oval knob, then it is either a shop built SPX clone, or an older model, possibly used. The only pre-shoot tweaking I recommend is to remove each rail mounting screw individually and apply red loc-tite to them. Mine worked loose over the first 500 rounds.

Last edited:

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    double-defense.png

You need the Stoeger Double Barrel Tactical. Cuz nothing says "get out of my house" like a side by side with a scope on it.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I Have what you are talking about, the 930 SPX. They are great guns. Nice pad, low recoil, even with the heavy 3" stuff. Very fast light trigger, and if you want to run an optic on it of any sort, you can easily do so. Comes with a 1913 rail on it, and the rear sight is affixed with a thumb screw and easily removable. Also, you can ghost load a 9th round on the shell elevator. Extremely high firepower in a compact package. Cost ya around $609 before tax. Don't pay more than that. Make sure you get one with a round knurled bolt knob, not the flat oval shaped one. If it has the flat oval knob, then it is either a shop built SPX clone, or an older model, possibly used. The only pre-shoot tweaking I recommend is to remove each rail mounting screw individually and apply red loc-tite to them. Mine worked loose over the first 500 rounds.

I bought mine new, it has a flat bolt handle and has been nothing but trouble.

SteelersFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Muncie
    I dont have a SPX but the 930 turkey gun, then I got the 18" barrel and the mag tube. I have had no problems with it, shoots slugs,00,and cheap Walmart bulk packs.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have one and it has been getting abused for about 10 months now.

My only real issue is that the Aftermarket is just starting to wind up in support of it.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Mmm hmmm. What is yours doing?

The shorter list would be what it's not doing. The shells will usually come out of the tube, but not always. If they do they will usually make it into the chamber without jamming somewhere along the way, but not always. If they make it into the chamber they will sometimes come back out, some jam worse than others, Winchester Wall Mart bulk wont work three times in a row. The shells that dont get stuck in the chamber usually get ejected all the way out of the gun, but not always. It is unusual to get ten consecutive shots out of this gun without a malfunction of some sort.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    The shorter list would be what it's not doing. The shells will usually come out of the tube, but not always. If they do they will usually make it into the chamber without jamming somewhere along the way, but not always. If they make it into the chamber they will sometimes come back out, some jam worse than others, Winchester Wall Mart bulk wont work three times in a row. The shells that dont get stuck in the chamber usually get ejected all the way out of the gun, but not always. It is unusual to get ten consecutive shots out of this gun without a malfunction of some sort.
    Hmmm. Mine cycles flawlessly with Wal-Mart Winchester bulk. I've have MAYBE 2 or 3 fail to eject. The bolt will short stroke, put the empty back in the chamber, and you have to hand cycle it to get a fresh round in. That is of course after the ominous and deadly 'click' one hears when dropping the hammer on an empty chamber.
    How often have you cleaned it?
    What type of lubrication are you using?
    Did you dis-assembled the gas system?
    Have you tried something a little stronger than Wal-Mart low brass stuff? How about some 3" buck and some slugs? Have you brought the issue up with Mossberg? All of my experiences with them have been superb. I mean, they sent me free mag tube springs several times for example. They can take a while to actually get ahold of, but that is because beyond the automated directory, you are going to talk to an actual person.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hmmm. Mine cycles flawlessly with Wal-Mart Winchester bulk. I've have MAYBE 2 or 3 fail to eject. The bolt will short stroke, put the empty back in the chamber, and you have to hand cycle it to get a fresh round in. That is of course after the ominous and deadly 'click' one hears when dropping the hammer on an empty chamber.
    Have you tried something a little stronger than Wal-Mart low brass stuff? How about some 3" buck and some slugs? Have you brought the issue up with Mossberg? All of my experiences with them have been superb. I mean, they sent me free mag tube springs several times for example. They can take a while to actually get ahold of, but that is because beyond the automated directory, you are going to talk to an actual person.
    I think my first question is, How well did you clean it to start with?!

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011

I have tried 00 buck, round ball, and slug, all of which work better than the Win bulk, but still no where near dependably. I bought the gun new so It hasn't been fired enough to be dirty, but I have tried cleaning and oiling it anyway (Birchwood Casey gun oil). One go around with Mossberg service was enough for me, after them having had the gun for months and repeated (unsuccessfull) attempts by me to get a status report from then, a very pointed email telling them exactly what I thought of both their gun and their service, produced a call from a rep telling me that my gun was on its way back. It was, unfortunately though, it didn't work any better than before I sent it in. Between being busy and disgusted, the gun went to the back of the safe and collected dust. I take it out every now and again but i'm not sure why, it's not going to heal. I'm not sure what I will end up doing with it, I suspect that it is just a lemon and should have gone back into the furnace instead of ever being shipped. At some point I will get tired of screwing around with it and either someone will get a bargain (?) on a fixerupper, or if my mood is right and I decide that the satisfaction is worth the money, it may end up at the far end of the rifle range.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I have tried 00 buck, round ball, and slug, all of which work better than the Win bulk, but still no where near dependably. I bought the gun new so It hasn't been fired enough to be dirty, but I have tried cleaning and oiling it anyway (Birchwood Casey gun oil). One go around with Mossberg service was enough for me, after them having had the gun for months and repeated (unsuccessfull) attempts by me to get a status report from then, a very pointed email telling them exactly what I thought of both their gun and their service, produced a call from a rep telling me that my gun was on its way back. It was, unfortunately though, it didn't work any better than before I sent it in. Between being busy and disgusted, the gun went to the back of the safe and collected dust. I take it out every now and again but i'm not sure why, it's not going to heal. I'm not sure what I will end up doing with it, I suspect that it is just a lemon and should have gone back into the furnace instead of ever being shipped. At some point I will get tired of screwing around with it and either someone will get a bargain (?) on a fixerupper, or if my mood is right and I decide that the satisfaction is worth the money, it may end up at the far end of the rifle range.
    Well, I can tell you that if the gas ports are undersized you will see issues like you describe. If they are too dirty, or have metal shavings in them or anything you could have the same issues. That is as easy to figure out as taking a known good shooting 930, and installing their barrel on your gun to see how it does. PM me your location and we'll see if you are close enough to me to try and figure this bugger out.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Well, I can tell you that if the gas ports are undersized you will see issues like you describe. If they are too dirty, or have metal shavings in them or anything you could have the same issues. That is as easy to figure out as taking a known good shooting 930, and installing their barrel on your gun to see how it does. PM me your location and we'll see if you are close enough to me to try and figure this bugger out.

I dont know how big the gas ports are suposed to be but they are clean.

I appreciate the offer but I'm a little too far away. Not a bad idea though if I could find someone around here with the same gun.

In the mean time i've been shopping around for a 12 ga pump, which I should have just gotten in the first place......Maybe a nice Mossy 500...:D

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I dont know how big the gas ports are suposed to be but they are clean.

I appreciate the offer but I'm a little too far away. Not a bad idea though if I could find someone around here with the same gun.

In the mean time i've been shopping around for a 12 ga pump, which I should have just gotten in the first place......Maybe a nice Mossy 500...:D

590 9 shot with Ghost Rings :rockwoot:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    double-defense.png

You need the Stoeger Double Barrel Tactical. Cuz nothing says "get out of my house" like a side by side with a scope on it.
    Especially the sound of Granny snapping the action shut on the other side of the bathroom door. Show some class and get the O/U instead.

Someone needs to design a recoil proof MP3 player and speaker. Mount the speaker under the muzzle. Press play for an endless loop of a pump gun being racked, 3 Dobermans barking wildly and a human yelling "You best be gettin' out of my house................and leave your Whiskey or you'll be gettin' some shotgun lovin'."

You could make various recordings to fit the local demographic. The one above would be called something like Kentucky Grandma after dark.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Especially the sound of Granny snapping the action shut on the other side of the bathroom door. Show some class and get the O/U instead.

Someone needs to design a recoil proof MP3 player and speaker. Mount the speaker under the muzzle. Press play for an endless loop of a pump gun being racked, 3 Dobermans barking wildly and a human yelling "You best be gettin' out of my house................and leave your Whiskey or you'll be gettin' some shotgun lovin'."

You could make various recordings to fit the local demographic. The one above would be called something like Kentucky Grandma after dark.

I am not allowed to rep you for this post...
    Pure Genius!
    But, I owe you some for it!!! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom