• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    SCCYs are the "do everything OK but nothing spectacular" cheapo gun. They're designed to be an entry-level Fisher Price style "My first 9mm."

I attended the Outbreak Omega event a few years ago and SCCY donated a couple pistols to be used at the Wolf booth during the event. Attendees could walk up, load a mag, and dump it into a zombie's face. Fo' Free! After seeing two straight days of people who gave zero effs dumping Wolf ammo through them, I was sold that they were built like a tank. I don't even recall seeing any malfs.

For the money, they're one of the better guns on the market. If you're not a trigger snob and just need a cheap beater gun or would like to introduce people to shooting on the cheap, these are hard to beat. Take that gift card and buy ammo.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    SCCYs are the "do everything OK but nothing spectacular" cheapo gun. They're designed to be an entry-level Fisher Price style "My first 9mm."

I attended the Outbreak Omega event a few years ago and SCCY donated a couple pistols to be used at the Wolf booth during the event. Attendees could walk up, load a mag, and dump it into a zombie's face. Fo' Free! After seeing two straight days of people who gave zero effs dumping Wolf ammo through them, I was sold that they were built like a tank. I don't even recall seeing any malfs.

For the money, they're one of the better guns on the market. If you're not a trigger snob and just need a cheap beater gun or would like to introduce people to shooting on the cheap, these are hard to beat. Take that gift card and buy ammo.
    +1 my wife is a bit picky but she knows this is for up close and personal and not competitions. I had no issues hitting my target at 10yds and neither did she. She was sold on it after watching the 5000rd torture video, and the others where they dropped from the roof and where they ran it over and it still worked.

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I got a cpx-2 brand new for $255 in December 2016. I liked the way it looked and felt. The gun shot ok, I guess. Trigger pull sucks.

The real problem is the garbage magazines. I had failure to feed at least once every other mag. One magazine was significantly worse than the other, averaging a failure to feed every fews rounds. I sent them back, got new ones. The new mags didn't have the spring strength to push the mag catch up on an empty magazine and lock the slide to the rear, so now I had failure to feeds AND the slide wouldn't lock to the rear on an empty magazine.

Its really too bad. I wanted to like the gun, but I ended up selling it 2 months after I bought it for $115.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    The SKKY was my first pistol...I bought it for $190 from a local cop. He hated it...told me I would too...I didn't care/listen. It only took a few months for me to move on and start upgrading my pistols. I don't miss that trigger one bit. Plus the safety would engage upon recoil although as I understand it SCCY fixed that issue.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Picked up the cpx2 at RK on the deal posted by the OP. Feels good in the hand, and thought it might carry concealed better than my SD9ve.

Finally got out to the range with it today and put about 80 rounds through it starting with 10 rounds of hornady critical defense.
    Definately snappy. Not something I would want to shoot all day, but accurate enough at short range, especially if you stage the trigger about halfway.

I did have one FTE around round 50 using Winchester white box 115fmj, but I honestly think this was the round. Recoil seemed light and I perceived some fizzle. cartridge kicked out of the chamber, but not quite far enough for a stovepipe.

I stripped down the gun to make sure the round wasn't still in the barrel, and ran another 20-30 rounds without issue.

Altogether, I'm in the OK camp on the SCCY. It will do the job for self defense, but it's still a bit bulky for me to deep conceal.

I much prefer my SD9 in an owb.

Glockman20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2017
    Indianapolis
    my wife likes her's she has a CPX 2 with the pinky ext. it was pretty accurate out at about 15 yards... she likes it because its small and easy to conceal carry..It could use a better trigger though.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    i bought a SCCY CPX-2 recently at RK on their $199 sale. I cant say i regret it but that trigger pull is killer. my wifes Ruger LC9s feels much better. I am definitely not a trigger snob, but i find the super long pull causes me to want to pull and jerk rather then squeeze off the round. It also has a sharper recoil then the LC9s... not much more but its noticeable. Ive got around 150 rds through it so far.

I have had one FTE and one jamb, but i attribute that to the rounds more then anything. I was shooting Winchester white box 115gr. We had an issue with my wifes LC9s last week where it failed to completely load the final round in the mag. When talking to the Ruger CSR (who was fantastic btw) she said that they have been seeing a lot of issues with the Winchester white box ammo in 9mm and .380. like the bullet was pressed too far into the casing. She sent me a replacement mag to try to rule out the mag spring but after seeing the issues i had yesterday with my cpx2 i'm leaning more toward the round then the mag.

With the CPX-2... i'm not in love but i don't hate it so the jury is still out on it i guess. I am going to put some more rounds through it before i make a final decision. It may end up a console gun for my pickup. I originally bought it for a CC but I may look at something like a SR9c (i like my Rugers but my P89 just wont work as a CC haha)

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    I got a real good deal on one at the Valpo gun show this year so I figured why not. Seems well built and haven't had any problems with it yet after about 250 rounds. Like so many other people already said the trigger pull is the weak point of this handgun but with a little practice to get the feel of when the trigger breaks it's not too bad.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    hate to say it but the more i shoot mine the more i really dont care for it. i might try getting a different box of ammo and try it but it seems i cant hit squat with it. i do much better with my revolvers, my P89, and my wifes LC9s....

when i try and put a mag in a piece of cardboard at 7yrds and might only hit the paper half the time let alone any accuracy, but then the next round i shoot my friends Ruger LCR .357 and can put 2 in a half dollar at the same distance something is wrong. the only thing i can figure is that trigger.

98m3s2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2015
    Jeffersonville
    hate to say it but the more i shoot mine the more i really dont care for it. i might try getting a different box of ammo and try it but it seems i cant hit squat with it. i do much better with my revolvers, my P89, and my wifes LC9s....

when i try and put a mag in a piece of cardboard at 7yrds and might only hit the paper half the time let alone any accuracy, but then the next round i shoot my friends Ruger LCR .357 and can put 2 in a half dollar at the same distance something is wrong. the only thing i can figure is that trigger.

If your into modifying your firearms with aftermarket parts then Galloway Precision has a couple parts to maybe help with the trigger. Take a look. You might be interested.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Yea I'm aware... Not sure I want to go into that on a new piece... I really want to get to a range to shoot some other handguns...I might just replace it

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Yea I'm aware... Not sure I want to go into that on a new piece... I really want to get to a range to shoot some other handguns...I might just replace it

With around 200 rounds through might need more breaking in. I would shoot the snot out of it till I'm around 500 especially if you reload and see what she does then.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    For that price point I would look into the Taurus PT 111 G2, you get a nice sized 9 mm pistol with 12+1 capacity. I have shot the heck out of my Taurus & it shoots great.
    I did own a Sccy the 2nd gen one, it shot okay but it had a recoil spring malfunction then other issues. I returned it to Sccy they have real good customer service. No questions asked just fixed the pistol & got it back real quick. I shot it again shot fine, no to bad little carry pistol but I did end up selling it cause it kept pinching my finger every time I shot it.
    I got that Taurus & it has been a great little shooter.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I got one as early fathers day present and put 100 rounds through of several different bullet brands and weights and had 1 type 3 malfunction which I believe it was ammo related due to the condition of the casing. The trigger pull is long and heavy as you would expect but after a bit of polishing its very nice. The trigger at least for me is a bit challenging due to the long reset and my small hand size. I think its a great buy.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Ive seen several companies advertising 9mm SW Shields for 315ish plus a $75 rebate... the SCCY I shot felt ok, but id get the shield for similar price if i was looking at the pocket carry market.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I managed to put another 40rds through it of Remington ammo this time...still the same results.

I was at rural King over the weekend and held a few others and I really like the feel of a Ruger Sr9c and the Springfield XD in 9mm... I think the SCCY will either end up in the console of a vehicle or I'm just going to sell it and look for something else.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I've sold several and the only complaint is the trigger. Honesty its horrible. Long hard pull and the reset is all the way back out. I'd look into the pt111g2 or even the shield. Smith is offering a $75 rebate now so it will be in the $250 area in the end.

Top Bottom