• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Lawyer up to figure out how to keep Uncle Sam from putting his hands on your stuff. It's a few hundred to a few thousand dollars depending on how much stuff you have and how intricate the division of your property, and will save at least that much in headaches and taxes done properly.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've heard about med students getting married so their spouses can work to pay for school or greatly reduce the debt load. Once they're out, they get divorced with only half the debt load or a free education.

I've heard of people murdering their spouses in their sleep too. Sometimes you just have to decide that you can either live your life or go and hide in a hole.

No matter what planning and contingency, if you marry the wrong person, you still can be damaged.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have to agree that some butt heads would do/say this. Depends on what their character or lack of contains.
    Who amongst us haven't been a butt head with our spouse at some point. I have been married for 32 years and am still a butt head at times.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am giving my possessions away a little at a time, so at or before the time of my death, I'll be broke with no apparent possessions. This works for me because my family is close. There is no greed or envy living in my family. This may not work for you.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am giving my possessions away a little at a time, so at or before the time of my death, I'll be broke with no apparent possessions. This works for me because my family is close. There is no greed or envy living in my family. This may not work for you.

How do you know when you will die? What if you give everything away thinking death is near and then you live another 30 years?

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    I don't know about VN Vet, but I'm 54 and would like to simply check out of this world in about 10 years. Yep, I think differently than most folks. I've had a great life and have seen alot. I have a wonderful spouse and kids. But I had to watch both sets of grandparents, my parents and the FIL take the 3-7 year slow boat to the great beyond. Not happening here. Zero desire to be old living in a home with someone wiping my butt and feeding me jello. The best checkout is here-one-minute-and-gone-the-next. Unfortunately, only 21% of Americans go in less than 3-days.

Like many of you I've watched "Family Feud" too many times. So the wife and I have a will and we keep it current. We even have specific personal property left to specific people. My guns, some have been in the family for 4 generations, will go to one of my sons. I have another son who is disabled so keeping a will is paramount to insure his care.

For those of you who are young, my dad once told me that if you are fond of something in the family, make your feelings known respectfully while they are alive. Offer to purchase the item. But only ask once. And I've done this several times with family members. Most have been surprised at my interest and have passed on or sold me that which I was interested in.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Having just gone through this a few years ago....in Indiana, if you die, your spouse gets ALL unless you have a will. If you are married, the spouse gets everything, unless you have a will. Let that sink in. Now if you trust your spouse to follow your alleged wishes and give certain things to certain people, then rest easy. If you don't, then go find a lawyer and make out a will. That goes for both spouses. Sometimes this is too much of a burden to place on a grieving spouse, the will is the way to handle these difficult decisions. If you are unmarried at death, then the heirs can end up in probate court where a judge will decide who gets what, or if it all gets liquidated and the claimants get to split it...trust me on this, if you go the intestate (no will) probate route, your debts will be paid before anyone in your family gets dime one.

In my will I have a few clearly identified firearms that are to be sold and the money placed in my estate for my spouse. Others are clearly identified to be passed on to my sons and grandsons.

If you are worried about how your stuff will end up, then you have to go get a will made. In most places it's less than $100.

Sybaris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    My wife's grandmother left behind some things that her grandchildren were very partial to. The executor made them draw numbers for each item. If they didn't want it they simply didn't draw.

Top Bottom