• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    Hi, I have a lifetime permit and when I went to pay off and pick up my new xd 45 today, I was told that I have to wait three days. 17 years a go I was able to walk in and right out with my new pistol since I had my permit. Have the rules changed?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    No, there is no mandatory 3-day wait.

Unless you failed your initial NICS check for some reason-- then they may allow the shop 3 days to hold it while they clear you.

Do you have a common name?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It happens sometimes if the buyer does not use there SS# on the form,we have several delays because people are afraid to use there SS#

This, or a VERY common name, should be the ONLY reason shy of flunking the federal back-round check (read- not eligible).

I had a friend that it has happened to a few times. He does have a common name. A good reason to include your SSN

Good luck, let us know how it turns out:popcorn:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Having your lifetime permit doesn not help at all at a gunshop. They dont even check it. Did you buy more another handgun from the same shop within a week from this purchase? that will do it as well.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I hate using my SS#, but have given in for these types of instances to make the process go smoother.

You have to love the bureaucracy that has been created for the law abiding citizens...

:patriot:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I never use my SS# and I never wait. My name is not common.

In the past, LTCH holders could walk out that day without NICS, but the state, so I've heard, does not do a full background check, so NICS must still be done. So yes, it has changed compared to 15 years ago.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    HowManyOfMe.com tells me that there are 158 people in the US with my name...

Anyhow, I never have provided my SS# and have never been delayed. I've made less than 10 purchases however, so basically just anecdotal.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I know its frustrating, but thats the system in place, like it or not. In Maryland, I used to be delayed EVERY time I purchased a firearm, even though I used my SS to try to prevent that. I kind of got used to it. Try not to take it personally. However, I just bought a new Glock in Indiana, and sailed right through. Hopefully the law-breaking Andrew H. in Maryland doesn't move to Indiana too. :)

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    not to hijack the thread but....I tell my sons to NOT use their SS# unless absolutely necessary, but as for myself, hell it was THE way of identifying yourself when i was growing up. I had it printed on my checks! For those of us "of a certain age" the horse left the barn many years ago.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The system can burp from time to time. I was recently delayed, for the first time, and I have a VERY rare last name. It was a Friday afternoon and I have been told that is a common time for delays.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a common name, and even though I use my SSN I still get the 3 day wait. The last gun I bought the guy that called in to do my check said ill pretty much have to deal with it any time I have to buy a gun, because of the common name. I bet being a Jr. dosent help either.

Top Bottom