• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    HowManyOfMe.com tells me that there are 158 people in the US with my name...

Anyhow, I never have provided my SS# and have never been delayed. I've made less than 10 purchases however, so basically just anecdotal.

I have been only delayed once for about an hour. Crazy enough according to howmanyofme.com I am the only person in the US with my name !!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I hate using my SS#, however my name is Christopher Smith. There is like a billion of us, and I always get asked for date of birth just so they can find me in the system. At college, etc. etc. etc.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Only 1 of me in the US, according to the site. I know I have a distant cousin with the same name, so one of us is imaginary.

I tried omitting the SSN last purchase, and had the form handed back to me to complete. Shrugged, and filled it in.

matthock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    The FAQ has a bit about rare names, the "Or fewer". On rarer names, the site doesn't have exact data - while on common names more complete data is listed in their data set, for privacy reasons, the data on rarer names is restricted, since it would be too easy to use it to find people's personal information. So in my case, my last name has ~100 people in the country with the name - very rare, and hence part of the restricted data set. Since it doesn't have exact data on that rare a name, it does some basic statistics and estimates it based on first name frequency versus population of last name.

Hence, it's not exact. Technically, it's possible there could be several more people with that name. This would particularly be true in families where a son is the Jr of a rare name or similar related incidences of someone being named based off a family member. These are statistically unlikely, but in a large enough sample set, statistically unlikely occurrences approach being a certainty :)

RDB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Avon
    I use to get the three day and then while on a three day I bought two from Bradis and no wait, so went to the other shop and was clear. Okay what's going on? I called NICS and talked to an agent about this situation and was told that once cleared the proceed order stays for 24 hours. So I had her check my record and knew there was nothing not even a traffic ticket since I was 21, now 64, and she giggled and said she could not say what she saw, but there was something maybe before I was 21. Okay I said I did get stopped for buying beer at the Red Key when I was 19, would that do it? And she laughed some more and said sure would because the records are sealed and the violation would simply be called "possession" and I would have to wait, but would be cleared as that isn't reason to be denied.

So I asked the question would I always be delayed? And she said yes, but will never be denied unless I did something current. Okay I asked, what can I do, and she explained the UPIN which you apply for with finger prints and it gives you a Unique Personal Identification Number, which will alert the agent checking to a different screen that will show that there isn't any reason to delay. Works like a charm! Always been cash and carry since.

RDB

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    121 for me and 56 for the wife.
    funny thing is i can drive about a 1/2 hr away and a distant cousin I've never met has the same first and last name

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Only 3 other people with my name. I have been delayed one time. It was the Wednesday between Christmas and New Years. Soooooo, my 3 "business day" wait, was Thurs,Fri,Sat, Sun,Mon,Tues. Oh, did I mention that Gerald Ford died on Tues, making it a Federal holiday.:rolleyes: So add another day. I picked up my NEF Ultra on Thursday.:dunno: I've made dozens of purchases since, with no issues.:rockwoot:

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    hold on westforth warned me about that. Aperantly the fbi changed the rules and now they are randemly checking into people.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    That site's got problems. It tells me there is only 1 person in the US with my name, but it's a family name with middle names distinguishing between us. There are 6 in my family right now with my first and last name scattered all over the US.

I've noticed most guys checking over the 4473 for omissions/mistakes try their best to get people to use their SSN. Probably so people won't get embarrassed then angry when delayed, and take it out on the guy calling in the request.

Top Bottom