• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Be interesting to see if those claiming its the law just comply feel the same way if/when they find themselves on the opposite side of legislation concerning firearm ownership/registration.

The constitution doesn't mention parking, but I'll bring it up at the next constitutional convention.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    By the way, where is the exception for picking up a handicapped person?
    All the handicapped spots were taken already taken by lazy, stupid ****s who feel they can do whatever they want.

This is simply a way to get easy money for the .gov.
    Foolish people make it easy. Bankrupt them by not parking there.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I was curious, so I looked up the code.

IC 9-21-16-5.5
    Stopping or parking in fire lane; local ordinances; complaints; summons; volunteers
    Sec. 5.5. (a) This section applies to a fire lane that is located on property that is privately or publicly owned.
    (b) A person may not stop, stand, or park a vehicle in a fire lane.
    (c) A fire lane must be marked with the words "No Parking Fire Lane" in white letters and a stripe of at least four (4) inches in width, in conformance with the Indiana Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The words and stripe must be placed twelve (12) feet from the sidewalk, curb, or building. The words "No Parking Fire Lane" must be positioned between the stripe and the sidewalk, curb, or building.

This. My understanding is driver in the car equals stopped NOT parked.

And, your point is....??????

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I did a little unscientific observation earlier tonight. The little woman needed a few thing from the store and fuel in her vehicle.

So we drove up to the Marsh. In the just over 20 minutes she was in the store, 5 people parked in the fire lane to use the Redbox, at one point 3 deep.

3 more people parked in the handicapped spots to use the Redbox. None had a handicapped plate, a tag or a limp. All appeared to be under 35 or so.

And one started out in the handicapped spot (again, not properly tagged to do so) and then the driver moved to the fire lane when it cleared to wait on their passenger.

No one used the Redbox while legally parked. Therefore, I have concluded Redbox is evil and could cost you a fortune. :):

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    One of these days I going plow over those people that just come walking straight out the doors. Didn't their momma tell them to look both ways?

I did a little unscientific observation earlier tonight. The little woman needed a few thing from the store and fuel in her vehicle.

So we drove up to the Marsh. In the just over 20 minutes she was in the store, 5 people parked in the fire lane to use the Redbox, at one point 3 deep.

3 more people parked in the handicapped spots to use the Redbox. None had a handicapped plate, a tag or a limp. All appeared to be under 35 or so.

And one started out in the handicapped spot (again, not properly tagged to do so) and then the driver moved to the fire lane when it cleared to wait on their passenger.

No one used the Redbox while legally parked. Therefore, I have concluded Redbox is evil and could cost you a fortune. :):
    If I were an officer I would, possibly, camp out and write citations for this but I would do so knowing it wouldn't impact the behavior.

I could write 1,000 of those citations, and people would still do it.

Short version: lazy people are lazy and they don't care about anybody but themselves. They don't give 2 :poop:'s if somebody who is legitimately handicapped can't use the handicapped parking spot.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Nice attitude.

But WHY did I get the ticket? Why didn't the officer simply ask me to move, and be done with it?

The car was in gear and running, I had just pulled up; he asked and I told him I was picking someone up who was coming out.

He could have used sound judgment and cleared the lane in 3 seconds by telling me (asking me) to move along. Instead, he added another vehicle (his) to the lane, and proceeded to extend our stay about 15 minutes.

Like I said in the beginning, I am not denying the infraction.
    I'll probably pay it.

It simply amazes me that in today's world, no tolerance = no judgment.

Ask the kid suspended for making a pop tart look like a gun.

I wouldn't just pay it. Do the research. Take it to court and defend your self (as is your right). Be prepared to pay the fine if you don't win, but don't just roll over. It's possible that by doing so, someone else in the courtroom will see your defense and realize that they got the same ticket from the same cop and will defend themselves successfully too.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    If I were an officer I would, possibly, camp out and write citations for this but I would do so knowing it wouldn't impact the behavior.

Short version: lazy people are lazy and they don't care about anybody but themselves. They don't give 2 :poop:'s if somebody who is legitimately handicapped can't use the handicapped parking spot.

I also wonder how much real police work that will actually impact the community the hypothetical officer is missing out on while he writes those citations. Oh well...real police work likely takes effort that the hypothetical officer doesn't want to do. Plus the hypothetical department has to upgrade their police vehicles from the 2010 Dodge Charger to the 2012 Dodge Charger and needs the funds...hypothetically.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Good for Fishers PD !! We see this all the time, its not a drop and go, its usually drop and wait, and wait and wait...by the time I come out for my shopping for the firehouse the same car is still there....Folks, WM parking lots are not small by any means and if your disabled the parking spots are no more the 30 feet from the door....Park in a parking spot and leave the fire lane for just that...Fire apparatus....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is so true. It is also a good example of how laws have no effect on activity. People will do as they please when they please with no regard for those who they are impacting even at the "Parking" level. This is true all the way up to murder if one is so inclined. Not all folks but those who will.
    Really, it is a fire lane and posted as such. It is against state and local code to block it. Is it a stupid thing to write up.....not if management wants the lanes cleared up for safety. Not if it has become an issue as it is in most areas.
    We all want the low prices at the big box stores but several do not want to walk a ways to get them.
    I am not knocking the OP for pulling up there but in the reality of the issue....he was outside of the fire codes for the area.

As to fighting it in court...that is wasting the courts time. If I was sitting there waiting on my moment before the judge and saw my time being wasted I would be a bit Pi$$ed. You did it, pay the fine and do not do that anymore. Simple.

Fishers PD is manned by a bunch of Dicks. They have zero sense of humor and are driven by revenue. Just do not invite them to your private party.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    1. As stated a million times before you don't have to inform the police your carrying if your not doing anything wrong

2. Yes LEO's CAN give you tickets on "private property" for these types of violations. Now with that said I've never heard of one doing so until now. Usually they don't say anything or will just ask you to move.

3. I know alot of us do it pulling up in front of these stores waiting but you really shouldn't for the obvious reasons.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I wouldn't just pay it. Do the research. Take it to court and defend your self (as is your right). Be prepared to pay the fine if you don't win, but don't just roll over. It's possible that by doing so, someone else in the courtroom will see your defense and realize that they got the same ticket from the same cop and will defend themselves successfully too.
    \\

I agree completely. We should all exercise our rights, including the right to defend ourselves in court. A lot of people think this is expensive and requires a lawyer, but it is neither. If a lot more people would take their tickets and fight them in court, officers would think twice before writing stupid tickets like this.

Read the code for which you are charged. Verify all the details and, if you think there is any chance you can win, by all means go defend yourself.

If you win, take your money and treat yourself to something nice at your local gun store.

Top Bottom