• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Who makes a yellow fire lane anyway, silly Fishers and silly Walmart. Yellow is loading, RED is FIRE, Red HOT. White shouldn't be a fire lane either.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't they handle DUI's the same way? If you are intoxicated and have the car turned on then you are Driving Under the Influence... regardless if you are in motion?

You don't even have to have the car running. You only need to have the key in the ignition, even if you are in the back seat sound asleep. I wonder what they will do with newer cars that have proximity-operated transmitters rather than actual keys.

Mos Eisley

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    OK.....
    Lets review the situation.

Driver breaks the law. Check

Wrong. Fire lane does not meet statutory requirements.

Do words mean things, or do they not?

The same people that argue that the "spirit" of the law makes the technicalities of the law irrelevant are also the ones who will howl the loudest when their rights are threatened because of a "spirit of the law" interpretation that they don't agree with.

You either think that the letter of the law applies equally to everyone, including the enforcers, or you don't. It's really that simple.

RoosterJC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Carmel, IN
    OK.....
    Lets review the situation.

Driver breaks the law. Check
    Driver gets a ticket. Check
    Driver starts a "Pity Party" thread on INGO. Check
    Usual INGO Cop haters chime in and blame all of Society's ills on the Police. Check.

Nothing new or unexpected here.:dunno: Check

Sorry, Mike. Let's review your assertions:
    Driver breaks the law. Maybe. This WalMart "fire lane" violates Indiana Code 3 times (color, size, words), and violates Fishers code two times. What happens if a restaurant violates code? Do you fine the diners?
    Driver gets a ticket. Check This is indisputable; but is the ticket valid? (see above)
    Driver starts a "Pity Party" thread on INGO. WRONG, absolutely! Read the original post, you will see no whining or complaining. Read the entire thread, you will find where I state, "I just wanted this to be a warning for others" and "I will probably just pay it."
    Usual INGO Cop haters chime in and blame all of Society's ills on the Police. Wrong. I haven't seen people blame abortions, poverty, single mother pregnancies, unreasonable school zones, corrupt politicians, et al on police.

It might be prudent to stick to the facts and avoid loose generalizations.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I would fight it, probably not worth it to get a lawyer just to try your luck with the system but it doesn't sound like this could be a ticket for parking in a fire zone according to IC.

You learn a lot when standing up for your rights in court. Good luck! :yesway:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Sorry, Mike. Let's review your assertions:
    Driver breaks the law. Maybe. This WalMart "fire lane" violates Indiana Code 3 times (color, size, words), and violates Fishers code two times. What happens if a restaurant violates code? Do you fine the diners?
    Driver gets a ticket. Check This is indisputable; but is the ticket valid? (see above)
    Driver starts a "Pity Party" thread on INGO. WRONG, absolutely! Read the original post, you will see no whining or complaining. Read the entire thread, you will find where I state, "I just wanted this to be a warning for others" and "I will probably just pay it."
    Usual INGO Cop haters chime in and blame all of Society's ills on the Police. Wrong. I haven't seen people blame abortions, poverty, single mother pregnancies, unreasonable school zones, corrupt politicians, et al on police.

It might be prudent to stick to the facts and avoid loose generalizations.
    If you'd do a little reasearch you'll find that these threads are nothing more that "Dog pile on the LEO's" threads.
    I've seen thousands of these "Poor me" threads.
    They are all pretty much the same format.
    "Look at what these damn Cops did this time"
    Followed by the whiners chiming in with "legal advice" and "I'da done this."
    Or.
    "I'da done that"
    Well...
    I've heard that BS for over forty years.
    And, IMO, it's still a "Pity party".
    :twocents:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    If you'd do a little research, you'd find this thread isn't one of those threads. Are you LEO? If so, you're being overly sensitive. If not, you are being overly sensitive. Basically, you are being overly sensitive. Go whine somewhere else.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Wrong. Fire lane does not meet statutory requirements.

Do words mean things, or do they not?
    Absolutely they do.

Even the ones that say:
    "FIRE LANE", "FIRE LANE" or "FIRE LANE"

OP, just one question...and seriously, I wouldn't blame you if you fought it. $145 is a lot of money.

But when you parked there, was it your understanding that it was a fire lane?

My personal opinion is violations like this should be like seat belts, not more than about $25. Or better yet, "Hey...don't park there."

As a person that has an 85 year old mother that uses a walker and has a handicapped plate, but still drives very well and insists on going out on her own occasionally (I hate it when she does), I'd like to see the fine for able-bodied folks parking in handicapped spots be no less than $1000...but that's just my opinion and another story. ;)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    NAmyQ.jpg

Stopped, parked, tomato, tomatoe...

What gear was the car in?

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    NAmyQ.jpg

Stopped, parked, tomato, tomatoe...

I disagree. Well, the code is clear. Parking and stopping are equal under the code... So maybe I agree. But the code is also clear about the requirements for the zone. So I disagree again.

What do you think about carry on college campus. Are colleges not schools??? (If you don't get it, refer to my earlier post)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I disagree. Well, the code is clear. Parking and stopping are equal under the code... So maybe I agree. But the code is also clear about the requirements for the zone. So I disagree again.
    And as I said, I have no problem if he fights it and it wouldn't alter my pay scale if he wins.

My question was merely...when he parked or stopped there, was there any doubt that the area was intended to be a fire lane? Plain and simple.

edit: I went to college and didn't learn squat...other than how to chug beer thru a beer bong. Therefore they cannot be schools. :):

Last edited:

Jar_Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As long as there is an agreement with the store or property, in writing, the police may enforce the fire lane violation at any time and also stop signs. They do not need permission or an agreement to enforce handicap parking though.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    If you'd do a little research, you'd find this thread isn't one of those threads. Are you LEO? If so, you're being overly sensitive. If not, you are being overly sensitive. Basically, you are being overly sensitive. Go whine somewhere else.
    Speaking of research....
    You've been here for several years and you haven't learned how to look at a Members Profile?????
    Mine states I'm a retired LEO.
    And I was living that life before your leftovers were a stain in your Daddys shorts.
    IMO
    It's not being overly sensitive after four decades of listening to that crap.
    It's called being fed up with the whiny, petty, cry babies who want other Members here to side with them in their quest to damn LEO's for doing their job.
    That's my opinion on the matter. :)

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Speaking of research....
    You've been here for several years and you haven't learned how to look at a Members Profile?????
    And I was living that life before your leftovers were a stain in your Daddys shorts.
    IMO
    It's called being fed up with the whiny, petty, cry babies who want other Members here to side with them in their quest to damn LEO's for doing their job.

Well, go find a Leo bashing thread to trash on. Your comments on this thread are off base.

Btw: thanks for confirming you are being overly sensitive on this issue.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Speaking of research....
    IMO

Calm down Francis...

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    I didn't bother to read through the multiple pages in this thread, but as an Engineer on a fire department, I wish more police officers would do this. I absolutely hate it when people block the fire lane. I only hope that sometime in my career I get to bust out somebody's windows and lay a 5" through their car, like this...

no_parking.jpg

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I don't believe laws should dictate manners but my personal belief that people who park/stop/sit in front of a building not in a designated parking spot are inconsiderate. That said the IC is very clear how fire lanes should be marked to be recognized under Indiana law.

If the space in question does not meet those stipulations then there should be no ticket.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Maybe officer asshat should hang out at the local schools, where parents routinely stand in the fire lane while picking up their kids from school. They even put their cars in park and are there for up to half an hour or more. Guess some departments have cops with a bit of common sense. Fishers wouldn't be among them.

Top Bottom