• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I go into the intersection during the green to make a left, a semi comes through the opposite way on the yellow so I have to wait to exit the intersection and get a ticket for "running" the red. I'm sure others can come up with plenty.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I go into the intersection during the green to make a left, a semi comes through the opposite way on the yellow so I have to wait to exit the intersection and get a ticket for "running" the red. I'm sure others can come up with plenty.

I had a long answer to explain why this is not a "technicality", but I just really don't care by now. Good luck, OP.

RoosterJC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Carmel, IN
    Well, thanks for all the thoughts. We will see if I just pay this or choose to make an argument highlighting the non-compliance to the IN Code of the lane itself.
    If I do choose to go to court, I'll be prepared to pay, but make my points & leave it up to the judge. Court date is mid April, so I'll report back then.
    In the meantime, remember my original intent in this posting was to be a warning to all - watch out for fire lanes when picking up loved ones!

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Since the IC states no parking, you will find me bowling over pedestrians. Right of way my foot. I'm going to hit you and drive away before I get a 140 dollar ticket. I'll just spend my EBT card at St. Elmo's instead. Good day, sir.

I SAID GOOD DAY.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Happpened to me too classic, downtown Indy, by Circle Center Mall, afternoon, clear day, light traffic, turning left, got into the intersection,waiting on slow pedestrian to cross, light changes to yellow then green, Bingo, you guessed it, overzealous IMPD cycle cop pulls me over and gives me a ticket. Asked for a court date, he didnt show, case dismissed.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Happpened to me too classic, downtown Indy, by Circle Center Mall, afternoon, clear day, light traffic, turning left, got into the intersection,waiting on slow pedestrian to cross, light changes to yellow then green, Bingo, you guessed it, overzealous IMPD cycle cop pulls me over and gives me a ticket. Asked for a court date, he didnt show, case dismissed.
    You mean "yellow then red" I assume. That said, regardless of the reason - if you're in the intersection when the light turns red you're in violation of the law as I understand it. It's been a while since I read it, but it's my understanding you must be clear of the intersection before it turns red and not be in the intersection or in the process of clearing the intersection.

Nothing overzealous about that, but inconvenient depending on the circumstances.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You mean "yellow then red" I assume. That said, regardless of the reason - if you're in the intersection when the light turns red you're in violation of the law as I understand it. It's been a while since I read it, but it's my understanding you must be clear of the intersection before it turns red and not be in the intersection or in the process of clearing the intersection.

Nothing overzealous about that, but inconvenient depending on the circumstances.

But are you guilty of an infraction because someone else was committing one first?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Has this happened?

Yellow means "stop if safe to do so". If you're already in the intersection then by all means get out of there so traffic can proceed. If you can't safely assume you'll clear the intersection before the light changes, then don't enter it. In Philly, there's signs all over - "don't block the box".

I'll run red lights if there is the very real possibility of being rear ended by a tailgater.

Top Bottom