Time for this week's "Country living questions with Phylo"....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have a bicycle pump, didn't consider that it would get the job done. I appreciate the assistance once again, I'm sure I'll have something else to ask about soon. The water has worked fine since this happened but I've got a new switch on my list when I hit the store again.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    4 Hours Ago#22

phylodog*

Grandmaster*************Join Date

I have a bicycle pump, didn't consider that it would get the job done. I appreciate the assistance once again, I'm sure I'll have something else to ask about soon. The water has worked fine since this happened but I've got a new switch on my list when I hit the store again.

Good man. Remember, get two.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    With the water pump turned off and the tank drained or pressure dropped to zero, remove the blue cap on the bladder tank top and put a tire guage on that stem and see what pressure you have, if water shoots out its most likely new tank time because the bladder has a leak in it.

Another hint of a bad pressure tank will be a pressure switch that engages and disengages quickly without generating any pressure on the gauge.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If the pressure tank has not been pressurized in a while, and you have rust and sediment in your ground water, don't be surprised if the tank working properly stirs up a bunch of stuff and you have to change your house filter several times the following month. Yeah, that's pretty specific. I say this for a reason.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have a bicycle pump, didn't consider that it would get the job done.

It definitely will, and quicker than you think. Unless it's a really big tank it doesn't take much.

I think "buy two switches" has already been covered, but if it hasn't...buy two switches.

The only other thing I'd add is draw a diagram of what color wire goes to which screw before you take the old one off. Or, I guess if you aren't a Luddite you could just take a picture of it with your phone. It's probably only 4 wires, but I didn't want to risk forgetting the order.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It definitely will, and quicker than you think. Unless it's a really big tank it doesn't take much.

I think "buy two switches" has already been covered, but if it hasn't...buy two switches.

The only other thing I'd add is draw a diagram of what color wire goes to which screw before you take the old one off. Or, I guess if you aren't a Luddite you could just take a picture of it with your phone. It's probably only 4 wires, but I didn't want to risk forgetting the order.

Yes. I love using my phone to take pictures.
    Can take dozens of pics, no cost. Can be deleted or saved.
    Often you have a question later a pic can solve.
    Sometimes a note may help, because a pic may not be clear.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Came home to no water again today so I switched out the pressure switch. (I was waiting to see if the last time was a fluke)

Anyway... I thought the voltage for the switch/pump was supposed to be 220v but I'm only getting 120v at the switch. Normal or are they all supposed to be 220v? We don't have the greatest pressure but the tank is coming up to pressure so I don't know if that would affect it or not. Just making sure I don't have bigger problems before deciding all is well.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Came home to no water again today so I switched out the pressure switch. (I was waiting to see if the last time was a fluke)

Anyway... I thought the voltage for the switch/pump was supposed to be 220v but I'm only getting 120v at the switch. Normal or are they all supposed to be 220v? We don't have the greatest pressure but the tank is coming up to pressure so I don't know if that would affect it or not. Just making sure I don't have bigger problems before deciding all is well.

does both wires go on the switch?..... does you house have breakers or fuses?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Is there an INGOer that knows electricity nearby.
    Cause I get nervous when untrained work on electricity.
    Real nervous.

Oh I won't be making any adjustments in the breaker box, that's out of my wheel house. I can use a multi-meter to check voltage & resistance while troubleshooting and replace outlets or light fixtures but that's where it ends.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A little knowledge is a lotta danger.

The next to the last death at my mill was a guy with somewhere around 40 years electrical experience.
    Electricity can be very unforgiving.
    He had 2 coworkers just around the corners that heard the body hit the ground.
    Who's calling emergency services if you go down.

I'm not trying to knock you in any way.
    But I've seen too much stupid ****.
    And too many families at a funeral.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    heres a picture of how your pump switch is wired.
    View attachment 70486 View attachment 70487

With the switch contacts open and the breaker turned on you should have 220-240 volts with your meter leads on L1 and L2 termials. Thats line voltage in from the breaker panel.
    With the contacts closed you will have 220-240 volts with your meter leads on T1 and T2 terminals, those feed the pump.

You also can check if both feeds are hot to the pump switch, from the black and the white wire from the breaker panel buy putting a meter lead on L1 and the other lead on the ground terminal.
    Do the same with the L2 and the other to ground. You should have 120+ volts at L1 & L2 terminals.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've only got 120 coming in from the breaker, I checked it several times to make sure I wasn't doing something incorrectly. Apparently there are 120v pumps out there but I don't know if a 220v pump would run on 120v? If not I guess I must have a 120v pump.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've only got 120 coming in from the breaker, I checked it several times to make sure I wasn't doing something incorrectly. Apparently there are 120v pumps out there but I don't know if a 220v pump would run on 120v? If not I guess I must have a 120v pump.

Maybe. Ive seen 220v things work on 120 when it loses a phase. Just runs REALLY slowly.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    Yes, there are 120v pumps. However, you should not have a double pole breaker producing 120v across both conductors that are landed on it. You should have 220v or more if you put both leads of your volt meter on both screws of the breaker and have that same voltage at the pressure switch when metering the same conductors. If there is a difference, there could be incorrect labels on your distribution panel or more serious issues.
    Could you share a photo of the pressure switch and the double pole breaker.
    Do the wires from your pressure switch land in another box full of capacitors (between the pressure switch and the pump)? Or do the wires follow the inlet pipe outside?

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

you have a bad breaker....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Possible. If you have a double breaker, and across the breaker (hot to hot) you get 120, something is wrong.
    If you check each side to ground, you should have 120 on each leg.

A 220 volt pump may or may not pump, depending on the pump. If they do pump, they'll pump "slow", or with less power.

Top Bottom