• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Currently we are grilling on a Brinkmann 4 burner Home Depot special that I got for free as a sales incentive over 5 years ago. The burners & burner shields/heat towers are rusted out, the drip pan is deteriorating, and the grates are garbage. It will cost me more to replace these parts than the grill is worth. It was covered for the first few years by a cheap cover until the wind ripped it, by that time I knew it wasn't long until a replacement was due, so its stayed uncovered.

So here I am researching, but would like some input from INGO.
    • My current choice is the Weber Genesis, probably the S-310. We don't really use the side burner, and from what I've read the sear station on the 330 isn't really anything special.
    • I looked at the Summit series, which has some nice fancy features, but they change the lid hinge, and reviews are that it's not as sealed as the Genesis design. Although I like the larger cooking space.
    • We have also looked at some of the Kenmore models at Sears, but the large opening in the back of the lid looks like it would let out a TON of heat. Both the light stainless and the enamel/ceramic suffer from this design.

Preferred price point would be around $1000.
    Prefer stainless steel as I believe it will hold up better for the exterior. The interior & grates will heat more evenly, and clean easier.
    Needs to be LP.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My dad has a Holland grill and I absolutely love that thing. It never flares up and cooks very evenly. It lasted about 15 years or so before the bottom of the grill started to rust out. He had the local machine shop make a new bottom and lid out of stainless, and transferred everything over from the old grill. It still running perfect today over 20 years old

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Odd. I just replaced my burners and sheilds for under $50 using generic parts. Meijer sells some OK adjustable grates. I was able to mix and match six and eight inch widths to get an exact fit. I had to use an angle grinder to round the corners of the outside sections, but they lasted me 2 years.

Next year though I'm done. Burners wont last another season.

But factory parts indeed would have "totaled" the grill.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm not up on current model names but you will not be disappointed in a weber. Mine is 15 years old, rust free without ever being covered, and the ignitor still works.
    I've put $30 worth of grates on it and that's it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I went to charcoal and will never go back to gas....

With that said....Weber...

My Rural King Char Broil lasted a paltry 5 years. two of the three burner knobs are rusted closed and the burner covers are shot. I am thinking about going back to a basic Weber charcoal model as well.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My Rural King Char Broil lasted a paltry 5 years. two of the three burner knobs are rusted closed and the burner covers are shot. I am thinking about going back to a basic Weber charcoal model as well.

That's why I quit propane...(With apologies to Hank Hill..)

Got tired of dropping that kind of coin on something that wouldn't last....What cinched it for me was a young guy I was getting a grill recipe from off of youtube using his granddad's Weber charcoal grill bought in the 1950's...

Weber Charcoal grills are the Smith and Wesson N Frames of the grilled animal flesh world....

I bought one of these two years ago and it was the best $300 I ever spent...Going to grill on it in 30 minutes...Road trip East and I will hook you up brother!!!! Healthy food of course because you know...We are getting old....:)

weberperformer.jpg

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Weber Charcoal grills are the Smith and Wesson N Frames of the grilled animal flesh world....

Well that seals it! Honestly I will probably pick up a 18"-22" Weber charcoal and later a small gas grill. Really like the convenience of gas when I just want to grill a few quick burgers or pieces of chicken.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    this is the one I use for our range gettogethers, start the fire with charcoal and feed it with used bourbon barrel staves as needed April 2 is the next scheduled meet and greet.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Well that seals it! Honestly I will probably pick up a 18"-22" Weber charcoal and later a small gas grill. Really like the convenience of gas when I just want to grill a few quick burgers or pieces of chicken.

That's what foreman grills are for. Charcoal kettle ftw. Use as a smoker or grill and save yourself $850.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    +1 on Weber. You cant go wrong with one - My current choice is the Weber Genesis, probably the S-310.:yesway: That's what I'm looking at too. We have an old Weber Gas that is still going strong. I'm not sure how old it is around 18 years, it stays outside all year with a cover. I did have to replace the internals a few years ago, and replacement parts are easy to come by. The only reason I'm looking to get another one is because we've had it for 18 years and wanting something more modern looking, and stainless.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    If you go with a cheap propane grill look at the infrared. I was skeptical about them but they are great. Faster for when you need to be and smaller. Good luck. I'm building a Grill that's wood/charcoal.. I'm looking forward to using it. Nothing like wood/charcoal.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a Weber charcoal, a Weber gasser and now a Traeger pellet grill. I can smoke brisket overnight or put on sear grates and grill outstanding burgers and steak. Makes the best chicken I have ever had weather I smoke it for 4 hours or roast it for one hour.
    since I got the Traeger, I have not even considered using either of the other two. A step up would be the RecTec mentioned earlier in the thread. Be a Pellethead......

Last edited:
    Top Bottom