• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Those of you who know me (or read my contributions on INGO) probably already know that some kind of knife-related injury is involved in this story. You are correct, but this time I'm choosing to use it as a discussion of a risk management issue that some may not consider when the carry a folder clipped in their pocket.

For those who are new(ish) to knives, a folding knife with a pocket clip can be carried either with the tip pointing upward (clip is attached on the opposite end from the pivot) or tip pointing downward (clip attached near pivot). Some knives allow you to move the pocket clip to reverse the orientation of the blade and some do not.

So why is this worth of discussion? Ah! I'm glad you asked!

Last night I reached into my pocket to get a house key. At the top of the same pocket was my trust AdV Tactical Butcher. After I unlocked the door, I felt something wet and sticky on my little fingertip and thought I'd touched something ookie, but it was actually a significant amount of blood. When I reached into my pocket, the blade of the Butcher had become partially opened and the tip of my finger got sliced as it passed it. I didn't feel the cut at the time.

So here's the deal: the blade can open with any folder in your pocket. If the blade is tip "up," it's in a position where you can get injured when you poke your hand into your pocket. If the blade is tip "down," it dramatically reduces the chance of injury or eliminates it completely.

You're now asking, "Joey! If you knew this, why were you carrying that big beatiful blade tip up?" The answer is, the clip can't be moved on the Butcher, I knew it, and I accepted the risk. I've been cut for the same reason before (which is why I knew what happened so quickly) and all of my knives that can be carried tip down are configured that way.

I need to reconsider how I'm going to carry the Butcher. It might never happen again, but it's really not worth the risk, even if the wound is minor. I may see if someone with good machining skills can move the clip for me, or I may get a kydex neck sheath for it. I'll do something.

Based on my experiences, especially last night, I recommend that all of us who are carrying knives with the blade tip up re-consider their options. I am not trying tell anyone to stop doing it! I am suggesting that you think about it carefully and weigh the reasons why you carry tip up vs. tip down and if the increased risk of self-injury justifies your choice to you. For some, it's a matter of just moving the clip. For others, it may require modifying the knife, the mode of carry, or even going with a different knife.

Think about all of the factors involved, re-evaluate, and decide. You may conclude that tip up carry works for your and your gear, or you may decide to switch.

End of public service announcement!

(anyone got a Band-Aid and some antibiotic ointment?)

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    You must have your knife tip up with the blade towards the front, turn the knife around, so the blade is against the back of your pocket. Problem solved.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    How did your knife open in your pocket? They shouldn't do that.

I carry a Benchmade Griptilian tip-up, and it has NEVER opened in my pocket. Then again, I carry it with the closed blade against the rear of the pocket. Reaching into my pocket would not put the blade in contact with my hand, and the knife would have to move forward for the blade to open.

Are you some kind of walking PSA? :laugh:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    That can definitely make a big difference. It doesn't always work, though.

True, I carry weak side.
    The button on my auto is facing out and I have ran into a table edge and opened it partially.
    I didn't realize it until I went to grab it and it wouldn't pull free.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You must have your knife tip up with the blade towards the front, turn the knife around, so the blade is against the back of your pocket. Problem solved.

No, it moved it my pocket enough for the blade to peek open just enough. My pants are baggy, so when I sit down, my folder isn't locked into position like it is with some guys. I wouldn't expect it to happen with this knife, because the detent is reasonably strong, but it did.

How did your knife open in your pocket? They shouldn't do that.

I carry a Benchmade Griptilian tip-up, and it has NEVER opened in my pocket. Then again, I carry it with the closed blade against the rear of the pocket. Reaching into my pocket would not put the blade in contact with my hand, and the knife would have to move forward for the blade to open.

Are you some kind of walking PSA? :laugh:

It's good that it hasn't happened to you!

It has happened to other people (not just me), so I think people who haven't thought about this should . . . think about it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Someone please reset the rhino injury counter...

tumblr_n7t2ydaj6e1qm1nv6o1_500.gif

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    True, I carry weak side.
    The button on my auto is facing out and I have ran into a table edge and opened it partially.
    I didn't realize it until I went to grab it and it wouldn't pull free.

Yep! And if you grip it and rip it when that happens without realizing it, it's going to cut your pants. Damaged pants might be worse than a cut on your finger! Well, if you wear pants.

Someone please reset the rhino injury counter...

I'm not sure it needs it. It only has "0 Days" on it now, without any other options.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Now that I recall, it DID happen with my little Kershaw Chive a couple of times. It was tip DOWN, but it didn't take much for the spring assist button/tab to pop it open. Especially once I broke the little plastic retainer. Replaced the retainer, and problem solved.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And I present to you.... the Rhino Accident Counter
    Count Up Widget For Your Website

Hah! That's awesome! Can you get the display to embed here?

I had this happen with a cheap walmart kershaw that I carried for a very short while. Not a fun game to play.

It kind of sucks. Given some of the responses so far, I think body shape and clothing make a difference here. Someone wearing tight dungarees might never have this happen to them because the knife is going to stay put.

Now that I recall, it DID happen with my little Kershaw Chive a couple of times. It was tip DOWN, but it didn't take much for the spring assist button/tab to pop it open. Especially once I broke the little plastic retainer. Replaced the retainer, and problem solved.

I think I may have bumped the flipper on the Butcher on something. A big lever designed specifically to open the blade poking out . . . hmm. . . I'm getting what some may call a "clue."

LOL this is great!

Agreed!

Top Bottom