• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Rhino should be banned from knives.

what and put brad and Sheila out of business! are you mad!!!!!!!!

ive got a nasty scar on my thumb from when a switchblade opened up in my pocket(a Chinese knockoff of a s&w peanut), when I carry a pocket clip, I prefer to carry tip up, but I always push the knife to the back of my pocket, so far ive ben lucky and haven't "rhino'd" myself in a LONG time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino should be banned from knives.

That is now the consensus. I SAY THEE NAY!

Its the lack of opposable thumbs. Knives where never meant for ungulates.

I can't argue with the truth.

what and put brad and Sheila out of business! are you mad!!!!!!!!

ive got a nasty scar on my thumb from when a switchblade opened up in my pocket(a Chinese knockoff of a s&w peanut), when I carry a pocket clip, I prefer to carry tip up, but I always push the knife to the back of my pocket, so far ive ben lucky and haven't "rhino'd" myself in a LONG time.

Ah! See, this is why I frame this topic in the context of risk management. Clearly you guys who have suggest making sure the back of your pocket is blocking the blade from opening are onto something. If it works for you, it's a reasonable and effective way to manage the risk.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Used to carry all my clip knives tip up - for nigh on decades.

Oh sure, I noticed an opening a few times over that period, even got a pinch cut once, and just brushed it off.

That is, until I took a class w/Mercop. Thought about risks and going full speed (and the potential consequences). Then I achieved enlightenment.

Now everything is tip down and I've changed my draw. YMMV.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Used to carry all my clip knives tip up - for nigh on decades.

Oh sure, I noticed an opening a few times over that period, even got a pinch cut once, and just brushed it off.

That is, until I took a class w/Mercop. Thought about risks and going full speed (and the potential consequences). Then I achieved enlightenment.

Now everything is tip down and I've changed my draw. YMMV.

Yeah, Mercop is a big believer in tip down and for good reasons.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    This is something I have been struggling for a long time, I would love a ZT0562CF but can't get over the tip up only, I have carried Kershaws in my back pocket forever tipdown and never a issue and a solid grip and deployment everytime, hate to screw that up just to have a nice knife.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    All my knives are tip up, it suits me better and I won't buy a knife anymore if it's permanently tip down.

The only time I ever had a knife open in my pocket, was when I was carrying tip down. Jabbed me in the leg.

I'm right handed and I carry weak side, have for years. My EDC rotation at the moment consists of a Diskin Vulcan, ADV Butcher proto, Hinderer XM-18, Medford Micro Praetorian, Medford 187 RMP, and a Grayman Dua. None of them have ever opened on me and the only knife in there that has the capability of being carried left handed is the Diskin, which I did reverse the clip on it to try but damn does it feel weird.

Long story short, sh** happens, anything can happen, carry what you want.

For me, tip up. If I get cut, well, won't be the first time, sure won't be the last

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I try my best to not carry anything in the pocket my knifes clipped to. This way my hand is not fishing around in there and nothing gets stuck in my knife.
    Someone doesn't know the rhino. There ARE no pockets that don't have knives in them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I carry tip down all the time... You can still cut the **** out of your fingers if you reach in there not knowing it is open. Don't ask how I know....

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Wait... Rhino got cut!?

ive never had an accident like this before. Don't get me wrong, cut myself my share rhino share, but hadn't had that happen, usually cuts are accidents while sharpening from being stupid!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Always carry with the spine towards the edge of the pocket so the blade is wedged between pocket material and the handle. That way it can't open.

Tip up FRP carry is safer than tip down.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    :scratch: Rhino cuts himself? At least it's been a bit longer between incidents ;) I have not carried tip up with a clipped easily opened knife and this is the reason actually!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I recently had a Rhinoesque moment with my left hand covered in blood. Only it was not due to a knife or edged weapon of any kind. Also, my hand was not cut but rather just the "red flag" indicator of a possible problem elsewhere.

Nothing compares to this ongoing knife saga of Rhino's!

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    One of the many reasons I carry my keys on the belt, only thing in the pocket with the knife is a cell phone depending on if I'm wearing a jacket.

Had a leek open a few time since owning one with tip up spine towards the back of the pocket carrying this way and never cut myself.

Top Bottom