• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wow, didn't expect things would be taken so far. I've been trying to stay our of the political section for sake of my own mental health. Because EXMil had quoted my post was what drew me back in. Also, I recently had an encounter with an ex-military person I found quite disturbing.

Thank you Jamil,

I think you were understanding my poorly worded presentation of a concept. I view societal values as a loosely woven construct that is heavily dependent upon personal awareness of what is socially acceptable. Influenced by religion, marketing or government there is a level of "socially acceptable" and "socially unacceptable" in every society. It changes with time and evolves. Frequently with fits and starts.
    I would say that societal values rooted in history are genuine because they've evolved into morals that pushes forward social evolution as something sustainable. The evidence of its sustainability over is that those morals are very, very old, while others that did not push humanity forward died out.

What is socially acceptable is also dependent on culture and other factors, but the root of those are generally the same.

For the reasoning of my philosophical argument, the previous paragraph represents my implied meaning of "majority rule". What is socially acceptable? How do we as a society respond to or accept the actions of others? THAT is a social construct that forms a society.

The existence of a society limits what can be pursued as personal or individual liberty. It has been that way since the start and it must always be that way to avoid "mob rule" and anarchy. Society also consents to the power to be governed, but I digress.

My goal here was-is to discuss societal-bending trans-ideology. That is the topic of the thread, right?
    There's another way societal values change. Through social contagions. This is a much faster process and does not necessarily lead to social values that are sustainable. My disagreement with your philosophy is that it doesn't take a majority to change what is socially acceptable.

Nazis were a minority and they infected a whole nation who deep down knew better. Communists were a minority in Russia...similar story. China? Similar story. Minorities gaining power over the majority by telling a slick story. Social contagions. Societal control of the majority by using shame and intimidation to force compliance through social pressure.

The situation we find ourselves in now, for example, is that strong minority is imposing new social values by gaining control of institutional power. They're just catchy ideas that sound good to gullible people.

So now we have a society where there's a strong minority who pushes men in underwear thrusting their crotches in children's faces. Normally, society would push back on that. Hard. We'd through those ********ers in jail. That's where they belong. But sane people have lost control of the institutions, and now are ruled by a minority of woke idiots.

To XMil,

I will go on to argue against the idea of self-determination in the framework you are applying. I can only assume it has been part of your education/indoctrination that your application of individual liberty applies to the freedom to pursue any activity you wish.

A value that I hold dear is that the greatest sacrifice a person can make is the sacrifice of self for the group as a whole.
    Well, now, it looks like you were making an "ought" argument.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

In that sense I agree with you. But the striking thing about this is that it is at the individual level. An individual choice to sacrifice oneself for the good of everyone, not being coerced by society, but willingly giving up one's own life for the good of others, is a beautiful concept. Society should have no expectation that any given individual should sacrifice him or herself for others. As soon as it becomes an expectation, it's now a form of social tyranny. And then it is not compelling at all. It's horrifying.

Human nature is individualistic and groupish. We are all individuals. And we're all social creatures. We operate at both levels, but socialogically, it's about 90% individual and 10% groupish. What has advanced humans the furthest is when they started prioritizing the individual more than the group in the West. Ancient Greek societies dabbled with the concept. And along with that came advancements as well.

Individuals who are free to imagine what they will, tend to imagine the greatest things.

Millions of Americans have made the sacrifice, bound by honor and personal values to sacrifice for the greater good. It is imperative that a stable society embodies self-restraint, self-respect and personal responsibility. My personal liberties extend to the point where they meet yours.

Does one's personal liberties extend to the point of sexual displays in front of other people that do not wish to see your display of sexuality? If that is the case, I can see where your valuing of your sexual display is greater than the value I hold of not wanting to see such things.
    View attachment 260402
    Should this should be normalized? That being the case, then we have a problem that goes back to my original postulation that brought you to this discussion XMil. If one segment of society wants this normalized and another does not, we have a societal problem.

Let's get back to the idea of social values derived from thousands of years of social evolution, vs those concocted from the ivory towers of ideological nonsense. Those are merely social contagions. They haven't done anything to further humanity.

And just because social values have evolved from generation to generation through millennia, does not mean they are absolute, eternal values. We learn to override the less useful values over time as our morality evolves. We've evolved past owning people, for example. That took a long time. When we tried to force the evolution it resulted in a bloody war and over a century of resentment. I'm not arguing that it should have continued. I'm just saying what the results were.

Society will survive if it values the things that keep it going forward. I've said before that the right needs the left and the left needs the right. Without the left we wouldn't progress past the social norms that tend to harm humans. Because conservatives want to conserve the status quo. They resist change. If there were no healthy left, we'd not progress past those things.

The left continually wants to push the social boundaries. They don't value tradition. They value change. Eternal progression. But without the right, they would push past boundaries that work to keep society viable. They don't know when they've gone too far. They need the right to push back on change so that the change we get is incremental, and limited towards a viable future.

But the left is impatient. They've worked hard to silence the right so that they can progress unchallenged as far as they please without much push-back. They don't know that they HAVE gone to far now. And you don't either. The sexualizing kids is not sustainable.

Read the books on queer theory. The goal is to denormalize everything that is normal. The people doing this think that the only way to end oppression is to destabilize "normal". It is a war on everything normal. They believe (and this is actually true) that humans build institutions around that which is normal.

Before institutions can form around any new "normal" it must be torn down before it creates new oppression against newly marginalized people, who don't fit into that new normal. So it's sexualizing kids now. When that becomes "normal" then those will be the new oppressors. And then that "normal" must be dismantled, before institutions can be built around it.

Problem is, they don't realize they're already oppressing those kids. Their new normal IS oppressive. They're the bad guys. But they think the bad guys are the ones trying to protect those kids from predators. Those men sticking their junk in young children's faces are the oppressors. The social norms that have advanced society to this place should be protecting children. They are our future. That's what keeps humans evolving. But this will work to end humanity if we don't stop it.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I would say that societal values rooted in history are genuine because they've evolved into morals that pushes forward social evolution as something sustainable. The evidence of its sustainability over is that those morals are very, very old, while others that did not push humanity forward died out.

What is socially acceptable is also dependent on culture and other factors, but the root of those are generally the same.

There's another way societal values change. Through social contagions. This is a much faster process and does not necessarily lead to social values that are sustainable. My disagreement with your philosophy is that it doesn't take a majority to change what is socially acceptable.

Nazis were a minority and they infected a whole nation who deep down knew better. Communists were a minority in Russia...similar story. China? Similar story. Minorities gaining power over the majority by telling a slick story. Social contagions. Societal control of the majority by using shame and intimidation to force compliance through social pressure.

The situation we find ourselves in now, for example, is that strong minority is imposing new social values by gaining control of institutional power. They're just catchy ideas that sound good to gullible people.

So now we have a society where there's a strong minority who pushes men in underwear thrusting their crotches in children's faces. Normally, society would push back on that. Hard. We'd through those ********ers in jail. That's where they belong. But sane people have lost control of the institutions, and now are ruled by a minority of woke idiots.

Well, now, it looks like you were making an "ought" argument.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

In that sense I agree with you. But the striking thing about this is that it is at the individual level. An individual choice to sacrifice oneself for the good of everyone, not being coerced by society, but willingly giving up one's own life for the good of others, is a beautiful concept. Society should have no expectation that any given individual should sacrifice him or herself for others. As soon as it becomes an expectation, it's now a form of social tyranny. And then it is not compelling at all. It's horrifying.

Human nature is individualistic and groupish. We are all individuals. And we're all social creatures. We operate at both levels, but socialogically, it's about 90% individual and 10% groupish. What has advanced humans the furthest is when they started prioritizing the individual more than the group in the West. Ancient Greek societies dabbled with the concept. And along with that came advancements as well.

Individuals who are free to imagine what they will, tend to imagine the greatest things.

Let's get back to the idea of social values derived from thousands of years of social evolution, vs those concocted from the ivory towers of ideological nonsense. Those are merely social contagions. They haven't done anything to further humanity.

And just because social values have evolved from generation to generation through millennia, does not mean they are absolute, eternal values. We learn to override the less useful values over time as our morality evolves. We've evolved past owning people, for example. That took a long time. When we tried to force the evolution it resulted in a bloody war and over a century of resentment. I'm not arguing that it should have continued. I'm just saying what the results were.

Society will survive if it values the things that keep it going forward. I've said before that the right needs the left and the left needs the right. Without the left we wouldn't progress past the social norms that tend to harm humans. Because conservatives want to conserve the status quo. They resist change. If there were no healthy left, we'd not progress past those things.

The left continually wants to push the social boundaries. They don't value tradition. They value change. Eternal progression. But without the right, they would push past boundaries that work to keep society viable. They don't know when they've gone too far. They need the right to push back on change so that the change we get is incremental, and limited towards a viable future.

But the left is impatient. They've worked hard to silence the right so that they can progress unchallenged as far as they please without much push-back. They don't know that they HAVE gone to far now. And you don't either. The sexualizing kids is not sustainable.

Read the books on queer theory. The goal is to denormalize everything that is normal. The people doing this think that the only way to end oppression is to destabilize "normal". It is a war on everything normal. They believe (and this is actually true) that humans build institutions around that which is normal.

Before institutions can form around any new "normal" it must be torn down before it creates new oppression against newly marginalized people, who don't fit into that new normal. So it's sexualizing kids now. When that becomes "normal" then those will be the new oppressors. And then that "normal" must be dismantled, before institutions can be built around it.

Problem is, they don't realize they're already oppressing those kids. Their new normal IS oppressive. They're the bad guys. But they think the bad guys are the ones trying to protect those kids from predators. Those men sticking their junk in young children's faces are the oppressors. The social norms that have advanced society to this place should be protecting children. They are our future. That's what keeps humans evolving. But this will work to end humanity if we don't stop it.
    I pretty much agree with where you are coming from here.

I agree about a minority being able to create unsuccessful social policies for the masses. Nazis, Conquistadors, British colonialization of India, Unionists in Northern Ireland...it just never seems to work out well. Maybe for those in power things look more rosey.

My "ought" argument is thus; Only to the extent that personal choice is compromise as required to extend stability to the people around me should one surrender personal liberties, or something like that. Feel free to poke holes in it and attack it. I am not eloquent (or wise) enough to compose a sentence that cannot be parsed and ridiculed.

Example: I mind the direction my muzzle is pointed despite having the freedom to point it wherever I d@m well please because it is good for everyone in the vicinity.

I believe the sexualizing of children is what finally set off the alarm bells. Thank goodness for COVID in some weird way. Parents that were content to allow the school-system and social media to raise their children were shocked to find out what was being taught in the public school systems. Unfortunately it has been going on for a long time and we now have people in their twenties and early thirties believing that the system that gave rise to their comfort and education needs to be replaced by a system that feeds into an adulthood characterized by delayed maturity, a lack of personal responsibility and a desire for the perpetual continuation of childhood.

Developing thought here; That's why, perhaps, the sexualization of children has grown. An intentional retardation of maturity has led to 'adults' still longing to exist in their adolescent state, free from responsibilities, indulging in sexual fantasies and an over estimation of personal importance a la the ego of a teenager that knows everything that needs to be known about the world.

That ought to peeve somebody.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Developing thought here; That's why, perhaps, the sexualization of children has grown. An intentional retardation of maturity has led to 'adults' still longing to exist in their adolescent state, free from responsibilities, indulging in sexual fantasies and an over estimation of personal importance a la the ego of a teenager that knows everything that needs to be known about the world.
    Well put. And @jamil will give you extra points for working retard into the paragraph…

• Haha
    Reactions: oze

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    So isn't the major complaint that the trans athletes have an unFAIR advantage? You moved the bar to "not everyone can be great". We have leagues for a reason, majors, minors, varsity, JV etc. If we want people to be able to compete on an even playing field, maybe there is a different way to sort the leagues.
    I think penis or no penis works.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    The only equalizers I hear about for physical sports are hormones and puberty blockers. Accepting that argument it still leaves facts such as larger lung volume and broader shoulders for bio men. These types of differences cannot be ignored or mitigated with drugs.

Those in favor smear the definition of men and women in sports. Fine, redefine the leagues as XX and XY but I don't think that would provide satisfaction to anyone.

I agree with those that think this will work itself out over time and I hope it will be allowed to do so without a heavy handed government intervention.

Top Bottom