To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    These idiots NEVER amuse me! not in the least! I have never been "trained" but i know better than to do that garbage! WHY? Because I was lucky enough to have a dad and a few other crusty old marines teach me at a very young age. I FEAR what my dad will do to me if i even THINK about breaking one of the firearms safety rules....and hes been DEAD for 14 years!!

We didn't think so at the time, but Thank God for being raised by a crusty old Marine.
    :patriot:

Amen brother!!

It's only ammusing when someone doesn't discharge a round but you have to sort of laugh because the few times I have politely made a suggestion normally the phrase "Oh I know what I'm doing" or "I got mad skills" is the reply.

FMJ, You were fourtunate to have a Father that trained/taught you the RIGHT way. A lot of folks are not that lucky. My point is while most gun folks are safe and do things responsibly there are some that are self taught or taught the wrong way and others that simply make a mistake. I have a lot of experience as an instructor both for regular Officers and Tactical Teams. That being said I can tell you I still don't know everything and usually learn a few things everytime. So if I learn something with the experience I have I'm pretty sure the average person would learn a heck of a lot. Yes firearms safety has pretty much stayed the same but if you've been around for 26 years look at how much a lot of techniques have changed.
    Example, 26 years ago no one really knew or used let alone called front waistband carry "Appendix Carry"

DO NOT get me started on the idiots that try to laugh it away when they do that $H!T!! P!$$E$ me off to NO end!! Your right tho, its usually the ones that are self taught or didnt have the benefit of being raised CORRECTLY around guns. Been shooting and handling guns for over 30 years, hell closer to 40, and still try to learn new things. Mainly these days its new ways to train/work with youngsters or debate and convert the anti's.

Complacency is my biggest fear...all it takes is to get complacent about the commandments ONCE for disaster to strike.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Uhhh........
    Fifty years ago we called that the "Mexican Carry" and it was used extensively.
    Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, Col.Cooper and others used it long before that. :)

I believe Mexican carry refers to not using a holster just shoved in a waist band where Appendix Carry is a style similar but with a holster. 26 years ago Appendix wasn't a word associated with carring a handgun.:patriot:

GuitarGunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    North Indy
    I left the gun show shortly after noon today. I heard the sirens going off while I was on my way back to te car. Wow! I can't believe someone truly was that stupid to shoot themselves at a gun show!

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    If the 1500 would drop their asinine rules that force people to screw with their firearms before entering, then incidents like this would virtually never happen. They force people to coonfinger their guns and things like this happen.

I trust me and maybe you (don't know you) but I don't want all these guys with loaded guns in the room. I have been SWEPT hundreds of times there and it creaps me out EVEN knowing they should have been checked guns
    Guys do it ALL THE TIME "Checking" sights or cheek weld, whatever.
    I have thought of wearing a vest, and I have worn a vest at Atterbury (back when it was a tin roof and the wild west).

So my deal is, every gun in there could be loaded, unless I checked it. FOR ME.:twocents:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I trust me and maybe you (don't know you) but I don't want all these guys with loaded guns in the room. I have been SWEPT hundreds of times there and it creaps me out EVEN knowing they should have been checked guns
    I have thought of wearing a vest, and I have worn a vest at Atterbury (back when it was a tin roof and the wild west).

So my deal is, every gun in there could be loaded, unless I checked it. FOR ME.:twocents:
    Does the same apply on the street or at an INGO Meet and Greet? I don't worry about anyone's gun, as long as it's in their nice, safe holster. As others have said, if it's for sale, it should already be unloaded. I don't sweat folks carrying their EDC. Having to take it out in an unsafe area and futz with it is a recipe for a ND, as we saw today. Happens all too often, even to the best of us.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste

I'm with you on that! As i teach my youngsters/new shooters, "I dont care if your dear sweet granny just handed you a gun and said it was unloaded, YOU check the chamber and magazine FOR YOURSELF...then you continue to assume its LOADED".

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I keep telling people.

I know gun exspurts like INGO hate me to remind them, but each time you load or unload the weapon can discharge.

Why the Indy1500 does not provide sand barrels or a wall of sand bags, I do not understand.

I'm guessing that the Indy1500 doesn't want to provide sand barrels for the following reasons:

1) If you provide a "reloading station" you are tacitly approving of the behavior.
    2) If somebody misuses the "reloading station" or is injured, then the Indy1500 may be liable....
    3) The Indy1500 would likely have to have another group of employees manning the reloading station, which would cost money and likely be frowned upon by folks that don't like "the man" telling them what to do, or how to do it.

I can't imagine that the Indy1500 hasn't talked to a lawyer about this issue already and been advised.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    I'm 34 years old. If I had done something a million times, I would need to have one it:

1,000,000 / 12418 days = 80.52 times per day since birth...

Good thing i am older than that! ;) I would say "you get the point"...but now i am not so sure:rolleyes:

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think there should be a soundproof and bullet proof booth people can enter to unload or reload their gun, and in case of an accidental discharge a phone to discretely call for an ambulance along with a gentleman or two to chew their ass out about gun safety on the way down to the ER.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    The show staff only requires that guns brought inside the show venue be unloaded. People, individually, decide if they are going to do it safely at a safe location or at the front door, where accidents like this can happen. Kirk is right that discharges can happen when loading or unloading, but people must make a smart decision as to when and where to do it. As previously stated though, "You can't fix stupid!"

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Yep, that antis are all OVER the accidental/negligent shootings at Gun Shows today.. Almost nothing about the intentional shooting at an MLK Rally in Mississippi though..

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What an idiot.

How did he even do it? I can't imagine shooting myself while reloading. Finger off the trigger, muzzle in a safe direction at all times.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom