To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armcclure

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Ever heard of "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?"

Yes I'm new to this forum. And honestly I'm disappointed.

This thread is full of people calling this guy a variety of names, stemming from hill jack to idiot and everything in between;
    As if none of you have EVER done ANYTHING that could have possibly led to an accident.
    None of you are perfect. Accidents happen. Should this guy have been more responsible? Yes. But he is human.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Just thought of why you may have your off hand in front of the barrel. If you are carring in a shoulder rig, most everyone that goes to holster the gun has their off hand holding the holster. If the holster has a quick release thumb latch, it could catch the trigger and cause a discharge.

I am not saying that this is what happened to the guy of topic in the OP.

hdchaplain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have heard of the unfortunate incident at the 1500 today and the other incidents around the country. It will only serve to further fuel the media and the anti's. I 've seen +/- comments here today about mandatory training, why not? after all you have to take mandatory training before you can drive, yes I know it doesn't prevent you from doing stupid stuff but maybe some of it would stick. I personally have been shooting since I was twelve or over 40 years now. I was trained by those who taught me to shoot and in the ensuing years I have taught my children and my spouse the proper way to handle a firearm. I have also taken numerous gun safety courses first for myself and then repeatedly as my children, spouse and friends have taken them I would go through the course with them holding to the rule don't ask anything of anyone you aren't willing to do yourself. All that being said and having read every post in this forum, I can't recall an unintentional discharge of one of my firearms ever, does that make me perfect?, nope just careful and cautious when handling a firearm or any tool that can potentially hurt or kill me or someone else if I screw up. As far as the 1500 goes, I have been and knowing they have a rule of no loaded firearms, I simply don't carry that day, at least in the show.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There's no such thing as an accidental shooting...only a negligent discharge.

There are accidental discharges of firearms.

Everytime you load or unload the weapon can discharge.

Not everyone understands this and this is why we have shootings like this.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE HAND??

Especially the smaller pistols people will not let them go forward on their own but want to "guide" them so they do not slam shut. He was walking, he was guide the slide back on his compact pistol and got the heel of his hand over the muzzle.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    This only works if there is firing pin block. I beleive that prior to the series 80, the 1911's did not have a pin block and you could have a discharge from a slam fire or even lower the hammer with out having the trigger pulled once you have released the sear.

Hence carry the 1911 in position 1 or 3.
    Position 1 is Loaded in the chamber and Cocked and Locked. :yesway: :yesway:
    Position 2 is Loaded in the chamber and hammer down. :noway:
    Position 3 is Unloaded with full mag. :dunno: Better than position 2.

:yesway:
    Which IS the mode I carry.....Thing's design'd ta carry that way.
    In the post,I'm talk'n about the Mustang .380......since it don't have the add'd safety feature of the backstrap safety......when I DO let the hammer down on a piped round.....the only SAFE way to DO that on these......is just how I x'plain'd it......I'm open for pointers.....:):

Like I said......if I had a dollar for ever time I've let the hammer(s) down on these things......I'd be rich dude t'day.....:cool:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    If the 1500 would drop their asinine rules that force people to screw with their firearms before entering, then incidents like this would virtually never happen. They force people to coonfinger their guns and things like this happen.

Nonsense. Let's talk about what the real problem is...a careless and negligent gun owner who didn't follow the safety rules and endangered himself and those around him.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Not the shows fault....could of been a slam fire, no finger on the trigger...but he still failed by letting the gun be pointed at himself. I bet after racking the slide, he was easying the hammer down one handed and it got away from him and was pointed at his other hand. But no matter what, a total fail on his part because he was ignorant of where the gun was pointed in case it did go off......wonder what will happen Sunday...?

I wondered the same if he was trying to "decock" it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ........ I 've seen +/- comments here today about mandatory training, why not? after all you have to take mandatory training before you can drive, .....

:rolleyes:

Driving is not a right.

Bearing arms is a right.

BIG difference.

Or to put that idea another way.... lets have mandatory training for the right to free speech. See how well that goes over.

Ever heard of "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?"

Yes I'm new to this forum. And honestly I'm disappointed.

This thread is full of people calling this guy a variety of names, stemming from hill jack to idiot and everything in between;
    As if none of you have EVER done ANYTHING that could have possibly led to an accident.
    None of you are perfect. Accidents happen. Should this guy have been more responsible? Yes. But he is human.

So.... how's the hand doing? :yesway: :noway:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Nonsense. Let's talk about what the real problem is...a careless and negligent gun owner who didn't follow the safety rules and endangered himself and those around him.
    You do not have to be careless or negligent for a gun to discharge. **** happens, even when you're being careful. Guns can, and do, discharge when you take them out and futz around with them. Doesn't matter who you are. As Kirk is fond of saying, "Eez gon. Eez not safe". The 1500 requires people to take their firearms out of a nice safe holster and unload them in areas without barrels or other safety barriers, thus increasing the odds of a discharge and someone getting hurt. Leave the guns alone and they'll be just fine.

Last edited:

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    How deliciously ironic THAT would be. :):

I don't understand the "Us vs Them" attitude that people have on this forum toward law enforcement... We have plenty of great LEO's here, and I would hate for the constant hostility to drive them away. There's thread after thread saying "oh I hate that a gun owner did something that misrepresents our culture, I'd hate for all of us to be judged by the bad ones," and yet that's exactly what some people do here toward law enforcement.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I don't understand the "Us vs Them" attitude that people have on this forum toward law enforcement... We have plenty of great LEO's here, and I would hate for the constant hostility to drive them away. There's thread after thread saying "oh I hate that a gun owner did something that misrepresents our culture, I'd hate for all of us to be judged by the bad ones," and yet that's exactly what some people do here toward law enforcement.

Agree. Each person should be judged based on their actions and character regardless of their position or job they hold. I believe we need to respect everyone. We all make mistakes.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste

That wasnt directed at LEO's per se. That was directed at all those proponents of/with "only trained and qualified individuals" mindset.

see now where i was going with my comment? :@ya:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Not always stupidity. I've had a unintended discharge once. On a rimfire rifle. And I'm sorry to say the round went into the sky. It changed my behavior a bit.

None of us know all the circumstances of this accident. Maybe the pin block broke, or was over lubricated and stuck. Speculation does us no good. Yes, this is a very bad time for something like this to happen, but it does happen from time to time. I would much rather have read a headline about police investigating a firearm discharge to find that a weapon failure had occurred and the bullet impacted ground and no one was injured.

Because of my own experience, I'm teaching my son that when you let that slide go, assume it will fire.

Anyone else carry a chamber flag with them at the show? When I'm handling any gun at the show, I open the action and drop in a flag before I start shouldering or aiming at exit signs to get a feel.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    When did traveling by any means possible cease to be a right?

Driving is a privilege, NOT a basic, god given right. Therefor the difference.

If the third amendment was "a persons right to travel freely by any means necessary, shall not be infringed" then the argument would hold water...but alas, there is no such text.;)

Top Bottom