To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Just do away with the license, if you cause an injury you will be held liable for it. I want even fewer restriction than we have now, not more.

Quit trying to infringe even further what is already being infringed to much just because it will make someone feel better.

I think my head is going to explode.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just do away with the license, if you cause an injury you will be held liable for it. I want even fewer restriction than we have now, not more.

Quit trying to infringe even further what is already being infringed to much just because it will make someone feel better.

I think my head is going to explode.

It's not about infringement. People go to the range so whats the problem with having some kind of "organized training" Most people do learn a lot of good things every time. I'm still learning stuff after 26 years in LE and I've been through a ton of shooting/tactical schools.

There is a big (HUGE) difference in hunting/shooting rabbits and carrying a handgun for defense/using it in a defensive situation. Most people are not as prepaired as they think for the time "when the fecal matter hits the air circulation rotary device"

Snavelybob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    I was shocked when I read that this morning, what a time for a mishap.
    At least there wasn't any charges, and there wasn't a death. All we need is network news pointing their finger at Indiana saying see!!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If they would teach Gun Safety and marksmanship instead of spanish, french and sex education maybe people would know how to safely handle a weapon.

:popcorn: I will be waiting for the flack.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It's not about infringement. People go to the range so whats the problem with having some kind of "organized training" Most people do learn a lot of good things every time. I'm still learning stuff after 26 years in LE and I've been through a ton of shooting/tactical schools.

There is a big (HUGE) difference in hunting/shooting rabbits and carrying a handgun for defense/using it in a defensive situation. Most people are not as prepaired as they think for the time "when the fecal matter hits the air circulation rotary device"

May be a huge difference between hunting and defense but that does not make it any less of a right.

If they would teach Gun Safety and marksmanship instead of spanish, french and sex education maybe people would know how to safely handle a weapon.

Great idea actually, then maybe kids would learn something useful in public schools

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Just got the press release from ISP in my inbox:

Accidental Discharge at Gun and Knife Show Slightly Injures One

Indianapolis, IN- This afternoon at approximately 4:15 p.m., Indiana State Police responded to the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show being held at the South Pavilion of the State Fairgrounds to the report of an accidental shooting.

The investigation revealed that a patron of the event, Emory L. Cozee, 54, of Indianapolis, had walked out the east entrance of the South Pavilion building and was loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic when he shot himself in the hand.

Cozee was transported to Wishard Hospital for treatment.

The investigation determined the shooting to be accidental and no charges will be filed.

*No qualms with posting his name, since it 'is' in an ISP press release...
    Thanks. I was at home yesterday, I live in a rural area in Greenwood and there were shots fired down the street. Standard for people in the area to shoot in the fields. Well a cop came flying down the street, I was on my way to Walmart, so I turned on my scanner app on my iPhone. They were talking about shots fired call around here, then a call came over the radio for a check on the name Emory Cozee. I thought it was possibly the shooting down the street. Guess ISP cut in to check their stuff.

I know, random, but I only heard them ask for a check on the name, but never called for a Medic.

donballz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Fishers, IN

yeah, cause so many people know Spanish or French. Our education system is so bad, the NDs would probably sky rocket.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

I agree there is a difference, but the same safety measures apply to both. Doesn't matter if he was shooting clay birds or arming himself against crackheads, he had his hand over the end of the barrel when the gun went off.

I personally don't think any amount of forced training, permits, legislation, or _________ (<-----insert favorite form of bureaucracy), you can't force common sense.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Wow, 28 pages. Here's a recap:
    Don't make the rest of us (the ones who haven't shot a finger off) look bad.
    4 rules: live by them.
    Not member, hand (too funny!)
    Never lower the hammer on a live round.
    To quote a former boss, "1 aw ***** wipes out your last 50 atta boys."
    Don't make the rest of us look bad (worth mentioning again).

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree there is a difference, but the same safety measures apply to both. Doesn't matter if he was shooting clay birds or arming himself against crackheads, he had his hand over the end of the barrel when the gun went off.

I personally don't think any amount of forced training, permits, legislation, or _________ (<-----insert favorite form of bureaucracy), you can't force common sense.

Your right on the common sense part. No one knows what went through his mind but him. Was he not proficient? Was he distraught at the high prices he just witnessed? No one knows. But I do respecfully disagree and feel training would be benificial for the folks that have never had any. Yes even trained folks have done stupid things or had mishaps but it will reduce it. I guess I am just biased because I am an instructor and I see more and more folks coming into my agency that have never handled firearms.:patriot:

SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    New phenomenon!!

I don't know if this was covered earlier in this mess but here's my thoughts on the situation.

I've been thru almost all gun ban or severe regulation situations going back to 1968 and this is the first time I've seen so many new people who have never been exposed to the gun culture and any experience with guns at all. This time there seem to be many people with little or no exposure to guns who have paniced with their fear of our current administration and have gone out to buy some means of protection from them.

I have spent my time behind the tables at the 1500 for the past twenty-five years or so since it started and have never seen so many people without any knowledge of any firearms.

In some ways it's scary but in others it's an opportunity for us to teach them proper gun etiquette and safety.

Was this individual new to the game or a veteran? I don't know but I think we have more of this to deal with and am not sure what steps will have to be taken to alleviate the situation.

Do your best at all times to educate the newbies. We were all there at some time in our past

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I've been around/shooting firearms for 20+ years.... i have never had formal training.....But i would always welcome it. (bet u ddnt expect to see that.) Like anything/everything skill wise in life, u can always get better...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Wow, 28 pages. Here's a recap:
    Don't make the rest of us (the ones who haven't shot a finger off) look bad.
    4 rules: live by them.
    Not member, hand (too funny!)
    Never lower the hammer on a live round.
    To quote a former boss, "1 aw ***** wipes out your last 50 atta boys."
    Don't make the rest of us look bad (worth mentioning again).

:+1: Well said

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    To the idiot who shot himself in the hand. You are a piece of S---! There is obviously no cure for your stupidity. Move to New York or Chicago and turn in your guns to the nearest law enforcement agency. Idiots like you should not own a firearm if you are so irresponsible. By the way, also turn in your man card you POS! My vitriol against these type of idiots knows no end. Can't help myself. Sorry.
    Really? Be sure and tell us here if you ever have a gun go off unintentionally.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Pure stupidity, I know accidents happen, but if you are paying attention (like you should be) then things like this dont happen. Repect your firearms people!!
    So, you agree that it is ok the gun fired, just stupid that his hand was in the way?

That's the way I feel about it, he didn't have the gun pointed in a safe direction

SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    To the idiot who shot himself in the hand. You are a piece of S---! There is obviously no cure for your stupidity. Move to New York or Chicago and turn in your guns to the nearest law enforcement agency. Idiots like you should not own a firearm if you are so irresponsible. By the way, also turn in your man card you POS! My vitriol against these type of idiots knows no end. Can't help myself. Sorry.

That approach will help to alleviate the situation!! Can't help yourself so name calling and trash talking will help?? I don't think so!

Top Bottom